Shoutbox

Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed (/showthread.php?tid=94322)

Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Chrissy on 04-06-2010 at 09:03 PM

When you install plus you see an option to record your chats to HTML files. Like this:
[Image: plus.png]

A lot of users just skip past these steps and don't even know that there conversations are recorded and available to anyone on the computer.

Part-time, I fix PC's and a lot of people ask how to disable pop-ups through Plus! and stop all the files 'with da msn chats init, cuz peepz r readin em'.

Yeah, people should use common sense and look at options etc, but wouldn't it make more sense if this option was unchecked by default?

Anyone actually agree?

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Spunky on 04-07-2010 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
When you install plus you see an option to record your chats to HTML files. Like this:
[Image: plus.png]

A lot of users just skip past these steps and don't even know that there conversations are recorded and available to anyone on the computer.

Part-time, I fix PC's and a lot of people ask how to disable pop-ups through Plus! and stop all the files 'with da msn chats init, cuz peepz r readin em'.

Yeah, people should use common sense and look at options etc, but wouldn't it make more sense if this option was unchecked by default?

Anyone actually agree?

I don't think it should. They are one of the main features people use plus for. You'd only get more people saying "Yo, dood! ma msn aint keepin no logs or nuffin!".
RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Menthix on 04-07-2010 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spuny
You'd only get more people saying "Yo, dood! ma msn aint keepin no logs or nuffin!".
On the other hand now, like Krissy says you have people saying "why are all my private conversations logged, I didn't enable this". I see this on the Dutch forum more than here. Commonly it's people who disable native WLM logs and wonder why new (Plus!) logs are still being created. Or people who wonder why a relative or friend with access to their system somehow read their conversations.

While we're discussing unchecking options by default: the same thing has been suggested for messenger locking multiple times.
RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by djdannyp on 04-07-2010 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
While we're discussing unchecking options by default: the same thing has been suggested for messenger locking multiple times.

Indeed.....I've seconded this before and so I'll second it again.  It's one of the most common problems, people having locked messenger without realising it.

By contrast I've rarely seen anyone here complaining that their chats are being logged...
RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Nagamasa on 04-08-2010 at 01:38 AM

I agree with unchecking both by default.

Firstly, chat logging of WLM is off by default (but of course a window comes up the first time you close a window asking if you would like to log), and by the tone that WLM suggests Chat Logging, I would say we shouldn't chat log by default either.

Locking is just a pure annoying since people looking for that feature would most likely know how to restore, but not vice-versa.

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by CookieRevised on 04-08-2010 at 05:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I agree with unchecking both by default.
Seconded...

For the same reasons people have suggested it a long time before, and repeated again here.

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Chrissy on 04-08-2010 at 08:20 AM

Even if it's left on by default maybe Plus! asks for a password once have clicked 'Next'.

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by CookieRevised on 04-09-2010 at 09:35 AM

What has a password todo with this?

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by matty on 04-09-2010 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To enable encryption on the chat logs.

Problem with this scenario is people won't know the password they are setting is so open said logs...

Plain and simple, I hope no one takes offense to this, most people are stupid and it is just: Next, Next, I Agree, Next, Next, Finish without reading anything...
RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Spunky on 04-09-2010 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Plain and simple, I hope no one takes offense to this, most people are stupid and it is just: Next, Next, I Agree, Next, Next, Finish without reading anything...

Exactly what I do, but only because I think I already know what it says... The last couple of pages I've never fully looked at, because I don't use those features
RE: RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be cha by CookieRevised on 04-10-2010 at 04:33 PM

quote:
quote:

Problem with this scenario is people won't know the password they are setting is so open said logs...
yeah ok, but what I meant with the question was: It is already 'bad' enough that logging is enabled by default. Enabling encryption by default is, imho, an even bigger 'no'!

Anything todo with a password is not a 'solution' for keeping the logging enabled by default and the problems it might cause. Because if some people have problems with the default enabled logging, then how is asking for an encryption password going to solve anything? It would just cause even more trouble. In other words, I don't see what a password has todo (aka can solve) with the default enabling of logging.

Hence my (retorical meant) question...

Even when people enable encryption by themselfs, (and even set a hint sentence) they still loose their password...so...
quote:
My thoughts exactly.
RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Patchou on 04-10-2010 at 07:02 PM

Logging was previously left enabled by default for backward consistency. I agree with you though, it will be turned off by default in Plus!5 (on new installs).

RE: Deafult Checked Option 'Record my conversations in HTML format' should be changed by Chrissy on 04-10-2010 at 11:36 PM

Great:D

quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah ok, but what I meant with the question was: It is already 'bad' enough that logging is enabled by default. Enabling encryption by default is, imho, an even bigger 'no'!

Anything todo with a password is not a 'solution' for keeping the logging enabled by default and the problems it might cause. Because if some people have problems with the default enabled logging, then how is asking for an encryption password going to solve anything? It would just cause even more trouble. In other words, I don't see what a password has todo (aka can solve) with the default enabling of logging.

Hence my (retorical meant) question...

Even when people enable encryption by themselfs, (and even set a hint sentence) they still loose their password...so...
quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Yeah, only if the box is checked to enable chat logs 8-)