Shoutbox

Viewing a contacts webcam without permission - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission (/showthread.php?tid=94356)

Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Chrissy on 04-11-2010 at 02:57 PM

There is a program that can do this, and yeah it's real.

How do they do this, I though WLM was super secure.

(btw - I'll pm you the link as i don't want to advertise a privacy invasion. *-))

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by CookieRevised on 04-11-2010 at 03:52 PM

WLM is secure in that sense...

It either does this like all other virusses and malware do their stuff:
It simply installs a program on your PC, which runs in the background, getting the pics from the webcam and sending it to the viewer upon request from the viewer.

As such, this doesn't work directly in Messenger. It is a 'standalone' program with a client part (the stuff which is installed on the viewer's pc) and a server part (the stuff which is installed on the victim's pc). The video stream is most likely not send over the Messenger network, but directly to the ip.

But, just as Messenger Plus! does, it would of course be possible to kind of integrate it into Messenger, at least for the viewer's part.

----

Or it patches the Messenger of the 'victim' in such a way that the victim wont see any video requests in Messenger and automatically agrees to such request... But this seems unlikely as it would involve a hell of a lot more work. And usually, malware like this is created by very lazy people...

----

Either way, it most likely always requires to install a piece of the software on the victim's computer.

So as long as you don't install any dodgy stuff (even if you get it from your 'friends') you're safe.

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Chrissy on 04-11-2010 at 03:59 PM

No, nothing is required on the other side. And yes, it uses WLM and WLM only.

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by andrey on 04-11-2010 at 04:23 PM

On what are you basing your claim that this program works? A random Youtube video?

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And usually, malware like this is created by very lazy people...
True, which is why the most likely thing programs like this will do is error out when you run them. Which won't be much of a problem since the creator has already gotten money from you because you were gullible enough to buy the program. :p
Or, if the author is a bit less lazy, the program will either do what Cookie said in his post, or do something completely different - it could infect your own computer with malware, collect your wlm password or kill your cat.
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spazy on 04-11-2010 at 09:21 PM

Hmm i hope this is not true.. Would suck if people could see me without me knowing. what if i am walking around naked.. haha
dont want to find that online hehehe

RE: RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by yoinkster on 04-11-2010 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
No, nothing is required on the other side. And yes, it uses WLM and WLM only.

So have I got this straight, you install something on your machine and this program then lets you view other peoples' webcams without them knowing?

Sounds crackers to me and I'd imagine it's alot of perverts' fantasies [Image: 090.gif]

Have *you* tried it and made it work? (in a "is the method sound" meaning and not a "are you a perve" way xD )
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Chrissy on 04-11-2010 at 10:33 PM

Yes, I've tried it, and yes it works and I can confirm I'm a paedophile.

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by toddy on 04-11-2010 at 10:35 PM

post a link tbh

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by yoinkster on 04-11-2010 at 10:36 PM

that's a bizarre one then and has tweaked my curious bone. Care to PM the link? I wanna see it in action and then consider unplugging my webcam when I don't need it! xD

And yes, I too am a massive perv and am clearly looking to exploit women with this program ...... 8-)

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Chrissy on 04-11-2010 at 10:37 PM

Fuck it, http://www.webcamhackerlive.com

It's not free, and if it doesn't work with you don't blame me!

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by yoinkster on 04-11-2010 at 10:44 PM

it's not free?! well my interest fires have just been p!ssed on!!
I'm all for playing with a new toy but I don't plan to pay for something I'm not actually going to use :P

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by toddy on 04-11-2010 at 10:51 PM

upload the installer crissy

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spazy on 04-11-2010 at 11:49 PM

yeah upload the program for us to try ;)

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by CookieRevised on 04-12-2010 at 01:32 AM

Until someone else confirms, I don't believe that this works.

In order for something like that to work you need something to be installed on the victim's PC, AFAIK.

This, for now, simply smells like another money making scam and what-not... (like their are so many "I can hack any hotmail account, pay me and I'll give you the password" scams, etc).

eg: you pay and download the tool and install it. Now the tool has access to your PC, WLM account and, of course, your password. It gives an error and doesn't seem to work..... Someone, for example that dude on that video, can now access your webcam because you are now running a process in the background which let him 'hack' your webcam.

Note that there are tons of such so called "wlm webcam hacks" on the net if you research a bit around, I have yet to see one which is actually NOT a virus/trojan.

-----------

EDIT1: found some more info about this particular program and it now smells even more like a virus/trojan/fake/scam if you ask me... (that is: if the program is the same as the one listed by Chrissy)
EDIT2: made in VB apparently according to some dodgy video made by someone trying to prove it is a scam (his points don't prove anything though).

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Rolando on 04-12-2010 at 04:02 AM

It's fake, especially funny because the creator made several youtube accounts (One being "TheBlasphener") and I'm sure he monitors the comments on the vid.

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spunky on 04-12-2010 at 08:59 AM

I asked for this yesterday so I could install it in a VM. Problem is, the youtube video looks like a fake. It's so easy to say to a few contacts "record yourselves for about a minute and send it to me, I'll pay you".

The comments I saw though suggest it works, although I can't imagine how it would. The only possible way would be to just start sending all the information from the webcam across the WLM servers to you without you seeing it.

Sounds more like a client/server things as Cookie has already suggested.

@Chrissy: Just post the installer; until it's confirmed we can't stop people using it.

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Menthix on 04-12-2010 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.webcamhackerlive.com/disclaimer.php
Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ aren't responsible for any damage you bring to people.

Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ tools are for educational purposes.

Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ don't return money when there are problems with the working of hacks.
The comments on his youtube video look fake too. It;s youtube, you would at least expect some negative comments or people asking if it is real.

It's compatible with Windows 2007 :p.

EDIT: Meh, 2.40 EUR in phone cost from a phone which has too much credits left anyway. I didn't try to run it yet, but if you do I suggest you use a VM. The chance of this actually doing what it says are next to 0%. The chance of getting your login details stolen is probably a lot higher than that.

Don't run this except for testing experimenting in a VM which doesn't have Messenger logins or other details stored you care about: hxxp://rnd.menthix.net/.whl/Webcam%2520Hacker%2520Live.zip

Remember, supposed hacks like these have been floating around for years in several forms. None of them ever worked.
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by djdannyp on 04-12-2010 at 11:07 AM

Error loading contact list? :P

RE: RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spazy on 04-12-2010 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.webcamhackerlive.com/disclaimer.php
Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ aren't responsible for any damage you bring to people.

Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ tools are for educational purposes.

Webcamhackerlive.com, webcamhacker.nl, webcamhackerlive.com/de/ and webcamhackerlive.com/fr/ don't return money when there are problems with the working of hacks.
The comments on his youtube video look fake too. It;s youtube, you would at least expect some negative comments or people asking if it is real.

It's compatible with Windows 2007 :p.

EDIT: Meh, 2.40 EUR in phone cost from a phone which has too much credits left anyway. I didn't try to run it yet, but if you do I suggest you use a VM. The chance of this actually doing what it says are next to 0%. The chance of getting your login details stolen is probably a lot higher than that.

http://rnd.menthix.net/.whl/Webcam%2520Hacker%2520Live.zip

Remember, supposed hacks like these have been floating around for years in several forms. None of them ever worked.

i am really tempted to try this. but i already burned myself a couple of weeks ago, trying the leak WLM 2010...
I know this is bullshit, and will do some crap to the pc or msn. but ahh i want to know if it really works.. i really hope it doesnt though...

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Menthix on 04-12-2010 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
i am really tempted to try this. but i already burned myself a couple of weeks ago, trying the leak WLM 2010...
I know this is bullshit, and will do some crap to the pc or msn. but ahh i want to know if it really works.. i really hope it doesnt though...
Those who did try is so far go no result, only messages like:
"Error loading contact list"
"Online contacts: 0"
"Webcams available: 0"
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by yoinkster on 04-12-2010 at 03:12 PM

I'll try it tonight, will make up some new e-mail addresses and some disposable VMs.

I reckon it'll be bullhonky but I'm bored enough to try 8-)

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Menthix on 04-12-2010 at 05:35 PM

In case people were still doubting if it is really fake:

* The contact names which he shows in his "demo" on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYtGjIkcQ4 are hardcoded in the .exe

* The comments on that Youtube video need to be pre-approved. So it's easy to keep bad comments out.

RE: RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spazy on 04-12-2010 at 06:00 PM

quote:
quote:
Those who did try is so far go no result, only messages like:
"Error loading contact list"
"Online contacts: 0"
"Webcams available: 0"

hmm ok.. then if it doesn't work... what does it then do? :O
installing Trojans ?
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Menthix on 04-12-2010 at 06:06 PM

quote:
what does it then do? :O
installing Trojans ?
Possibly, or stealing your login details and the email addresses of your contactlist. Although is could just be it does nothing at all. After all, the idea is you need to buy the app. By the time you run it whoever created it already got his money.

RE: RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Spazy on 04-12-2010 at 06:17 PM

quote:
After all, the idea is you need to buy the app. By the time you run it whoever created it already got his money.

ah yeah ofc, i forgot the money factor. i have scanned the file with 3 different programs, it cant find anything, though yeah i probably need to install it before a scanner works.
but you make a good point, it is most likely the no money back feature that this program is all about for the author.
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by djdannyp on 04-12-2010 at 07:01 PM

quote:
quote:
After all, the idea is you need to buy the app. By the time you run it whoever created it already got his money.

ah yeah ofc, i forgot the money factor. i have scanned the file with 3 different programs, it cant find anything, though yeah i probably need to install it before a scanner works.
but you make a good point, it is most likely the no money back feature that this program is all about for the author.

There's no install, you just extract it
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by matty on 04-12-2010 at 07:46 PM

I wonder why the app is calling GetAsyncKeyState... keylogger maybe?

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by toddy on 04-13-2010 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Yes, I've tried it, and yes it works
rofl
RE: RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Kafman on 04-13-2010 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Yes, I've tried it, and yes it works
Why the amount of bs doesn't surprise me... just stop seeking attention, thanks.
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by CookieRevised on 04-14-2010 at 01:20 AM

quote:
i have scanned the file with 3 different programs, it cant find anything, though yeah i probably need to install it before a scanner works.
Virusscanners will rarely detect such stuff as a threat!

It is a major misconception that many people have about virusscanners (unfortunatly, yet another example of this here). Virusscanners can only detect 'real' virusses created by real hackers if you know what I mean.

They very very rarely detect malware created by script kiddies like this because such stuff is created using simple common instructions and logic which so many legit programs use.

A scanner would only detect it if it was, for example, made by some known trojan/virus SDK using some known programming patterns or variations on it. Or if the malware was submitted to one of the major anti-virus companies and deemed a threat.

As such, imho, malware like this is even more dangerous because scanners will most likely not pick up on it. This is exactly the same for extremely many Messenger malware which is floating around and the cause of so much hacked accounts.

A virusscanner is just a simple first defense against malware. It is not at all an absolute protection. For stuff like this there is one golden rule: if it sounds too good to be true, it really is...

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I wonder why the app is calling GetAsyncKeyState... keylogger maybe?
After looking a bit at the VB project source (see below) I actually doubt he is capable of programming something like that. I think the GetAsyncKeyState API is rather called from VB's own functions. eg: to detect the hotkey from a button. IRC, that API is also called nativly by VB in the MouseMove event (to get the state of the mouse buttons), ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I had some time to spare and attempted to decompile the program myself.
And looking at the results, it seems that we overestimated this guy's capabilities to code.

As such, I strongly doubt there is a keylogger build-in or a client/server method. I think Menthix is correct by suggesting this might simply be a money making scam.

The decompiled Visual Basic project is attached to this post. You can clearly see how the thing is created (shitload of timers and everything is hardcoded). I wouldn't even be surprised if this is also the exact same program which is used to create that fake YouTube video because it think the program first tries to find some files (the premade videos?) and if it can't find them it will show the "Error loading contactlist", or something like that.

PS: the program is signed with the company name 'Wiesehahn Media'. Looking a bit around for that name and you'll find some dodgy Messenger related sites which are full of crap tools like this (I strongly suggest not to use any of their stuff - many stuff is fake/malware). Looking a bit around on those sites and you'll come across many tools made, or at least designed by a 'M. Wiesehahn'.

btw, it's funny how the contact 'Barry' from that YouTube video (around 2:25), looks extremely similar to the Facebook user Wiesehahn.
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Kafman on 04-16-2010 at 01:26 PM

By the way, I submmited the file to the Microsoft Malware Protection Center and they added the item as a threat, so at least the Microsoft antivirus engine will detect it.

As listed in the item analysis:

This sample contains the following files:
File                                               Detection Status             Alert Level
Webcam Hacker Live.exe                   HackTool:Win32/VB.KM       Moderate

RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by Menthix on 04-16-2010 at 01:58 PM

Submitting both http://www.webcamhackerlive.com/ (also /de and /fr) and http://www.webcamhacker.nl/ as a scam in your browser is pretty effective too. The more people to do it, the more chance it will get filtered.

Every browser has an option like that now, go to the site to report and...

• IE: Click on the shield icon -> SmartScreen Filter -> Report Unsafe Website.
  • FF: Help -> Report Web Forgery.
  • Chrome: Page Icon -> Report Bug or Broken Website -> Bug type: Phishing page.
  • Opera: Only WDZ and Andrey still use that.
Alternatively:
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/webcamhackerlive.com
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/webcamhackerlive.nl

EDIT: http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/e1cbc40eef885a...bd037e4-1271427916 has 10 more detections than it had on the start of the thread too :).
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by blessedguy on 04-16-2010 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Opera: Only WDZ and Andrey still use that.
Help > Report a Site problem? (Still use it :chrongue: )
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by andrey on 04-16-2010 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Opera: Only WDZ and Andrey still use that.
[Image: dodgy.gif]

btw, to report a website in opera, press alt+enter on that website and click "report site" - which redirects to netcraft.com, so everyone without opera can report it there too (the site problems reporting thing blessedguy mentioned is intended for alerting opera devs of faggy web developers)

(although i don't use those fraud protections anyway.. i just use some common sense, which has always worked quite well for me :zippy:)
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by blessedguy on 04-16-2010 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
(the site problems reporting thing blessedguy mentioned is intended for alerting opera devs of faggy web developers)
Hence the "?" :zippy:
RE: Viewing a contacts webcam without permission by dm123 on 05-17-2010 at 02:35 PM

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=b34f9...dc9321cb01c652b29d