Shoutbox

Need advice for free antivirus+firewall - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall (/showthread.php?tid=94398)

Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by alegator on 04-17-2010 at 06:03 AM

I was thinking of the free ZoneAlarm firewall+free Avast! Antivirus combination. What do you think? Any better choice? Thanks.

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by MeEtc on 04-17-2010 at 07:27 AM

I've actually switched recently to MS Security Essentials. No firewall, but been hearing good things about the AV component.

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Th3rmal on 04-17-2010 at 09:09 AM

I also use MS Security Essentials and as for the firewall, the default windows 7 one seems to be doing the job. As long as you dont visit shifty websites or download shifty attachments, this combo should be pretty good at protecting your computer

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by RaPLeX on 04-17-2010 at 12:47 PM

Avast gives free license for 1 year to all home users.You can download and register for that.

http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Chancer on 04-17-2010 at 02:20 PM

The easiest, in my opinion,  is to learn how not to download viruses :P
Once you're able to recognize suspicious files/sites/contacts you'll be 99% secure. The other 1% you can use online file scanners, such as VirusTotal, which can scan files up to 10 MB using 40+ antivirus.

As firewall, I use that Windows Defender.

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by djdannyp on 04-17-2010 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
I also use MS Security Essentials and as for the firewall, the default windows 7 one seems to be doing the job. As long as you dont visit shifty websites or download shifty attachments, this combo should be pretty good at protecting your computer

Yeah, that's exactly what I use.  Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall and a big helping of common sense

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
As firewall, I use that Windows Defender.

Windows Defender isn't a firewall, it's an anti-spyware program...

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Nagamasa on 04-17-2010 at 02:40 PM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, I quite like it.

I'd recommend it.

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Chrissy on 04-17-2010 at 09:43 PM

Anything on the internet is free if you know what to do ;)

RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by blessedguy on 04-17-2010 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Anything on the internet is free if you know what to do ;)
And then you get a virus with your new "free" antivirus! :zippy:

Also use Security Essentials, it seems pretty good for me.
RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Chancer on 04-17-2010 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Then why is its icon a wall?? Anyway, I think it's just one more (in)utility to waste your memory. I'm too lazy to search how to disable it.
RE: RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by davidpolitis on 04-21-2010 at 09:23 PM

quote:
quote:
Then why is its icon a wall?? Anyway, I think it's just one more (in)utility to waste your memory. I'm too lazy to search how to disable it.
Windows "Defender". Maybe a wall symbolises defence? :P

Also, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/...Defender-on-or-off
RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by CookieRevised on 04-22-2010 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
quote:
quote:
Windows "Defender". Maybe a wall symbolises defence? :P
It's not a 'wall' as such. It is meant to be a castle.

A castle symbolizes the fortified place where peasants can go as a last stand to be protected against outside influences when the city wall (=pc firewall) is breached.

So, the city protects the city/peasants houses and the castle which is standing in the middle of it. And everything outside the city wall is the internet, everything inside the city wall is your PC as a whole... where dark doggy figures roam around and try to break in the castle to kill the lord.

;)
RE: Need advice for free antivirus+firewall by Awhite0316 on 05-27-2010 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, You should go for that combination Because now a days Avast! is a good antivirus. But If you have internet connection then go for Avast! Internet security.