Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 (/showthread.php?tid=94405)

Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Patchou on 04-18-2010 at 05:35 PM

Heya,

an update for Messenger Plus! Live has just been released. Version 4.84 is the first "intermediary" build between the current Plus!4 code base and the Plus!5 version to come. Several internal updates were done and some of the translations have been updated as well. Nothing really exicting here but it's still a new version nonetheless, made for everyone (and the size of it has been decreased too. More free kilobytes for you to use!).

Download Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 (changelog)

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by ahmetgns on 04-18-2010 at 05:48 PM

An update for which an announcement thread has been created, that is indeed something good for us. My expectations is too high for Plus! 5.0 btw ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Nagamasa on 04-18-2010 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
(and the size of it has been decreased too. More free kilobytes for you to use!)
lol not really :P cause we'll have to download a new version :P

but joy!
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by mathieumg on 04-18-2010 at 06:47 PM

Thanks, as always! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by roflmao456 on 04-18-2010 at 07:35 PM

sweet, can't wait for 5 :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Menthix on 04-18-2010 at 08:22 PM

:banana:

Something I never really understood though. Why are half of the installer files still digitally signed by Patchou (when you update) and the other installers are signed by Yuna Software?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by blackjack on 04-18-2010 at 09:25 PM

Nice, cant wait for 5 :P

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by warmth on 04-19-2010 at 01:57 AM

I'm very excited! Looking forward! (H)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Hank on 04-19-2010 at 02:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
:banana:

Something I never really understood though. Why are half of the installer files still digitally signed by Patchou (when you update) and the other installers are signed by Yuna Software?
guess he'll make that transition when 5 comes out, i dont think there's any need to change it for the old installers 4.xx
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by matty on 04-19-2010 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Likely depends on which machine it is all compiled on.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Menthix on 04-19-2010 at 09:01 AM

Each build is purposely compiled in 2 flavours though with the only difference being the signature. It takes extra work to do this, so I'm sure there is some reasoning behind it.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by djdannyp on 04-19-2010 at 09:32 AM

I could've sworn he mentioned that he was changing the signing back to being "Patchou" as part of the whole community being disillusioned with Yuna business?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by CookieRevised on 04-19-2010 at 11:01 AM

quote:
indeed. I'm wondering the same since a while now.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
I could've sworn he mentioned that he was changing the signing back to being "Patchou" as part of the whole community being disillusioned with Yuna business?
Could it be that you read that in some of those 'conspiracy' threads said by someone else (not Patchou)? Saying it is to 'hide' Yuna Software and to cover things up?

Because other than the delay with build 372 back in october 09, caused by VeriSign, I have never seen Patchou saying anything about the singing, AFAIK at least.

The different signing scheme has also not changed since before though. There have always been double builds since the signing with 'Yuna' started and the implemention of different sponsors (toolbar vs. ask.com vs. CiD): The builds downloaded via the update have consistantly been signed by 'Patchou', while the builds downloaded directly via the website are always signed by 'Yuna'. So this was already happening before the big outcry.

This indeed seems a bit strange, confusing (and more work, as Menthix puts it).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by kezz on 04-19-2010 at 11:29 AM

Yay! Thanks Patchou :)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Patchou on 04-20-2010 at 06:23 PM

quote:

That has to do with the way auto-updates are protected. When Messenger Plus! downloads the update file (as part of auto updates of /checkupdates manual downloads), it authenticates the file before launching it. This way, if some day, someone was to hack our servers and replace the update file by something else, it would not be executed on clients computers.

Until last year, Messenger Plus! was told to validate on my own signature: "Patchou". Now, it validates both "Patchou" and "Yuna Software". In order for old Messenger Plus! installations to accept the update, the auto-update file has to be signed by "Patchou". This will eventually be phased out this year as it won't be needed anymore.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Menthix on 04-20-2010 at 07:56 PM

I see. Makes sense :).

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by CookieRevised on 04-20-2010 at 08:54 PM

aaaaaaahhhh... makes indeed perfect sense... thanks for explanation... (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by bilbobagins75 on 08-07-2010 at 04:59 PM

So can anyone tell me why this FREEWARE download is infected with Win32.Adware.CiDHelp as I have just gone to download it as I am a fan of Messenger Plus! Live and my anti-virus software has just blocked it because it is infected with the above Trojan ?

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Toxn on 08-07-2010 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bilbobagins75
So can anyone tell me why this FREEWARE download is infected with Win32.Adware.CiDHelp as I have just gone to download it as I am a fan of Messenger Plus! Live and my anti-virus software has just blocked it because it is infected with the above Trojan ?
If your using ESET Nod32 or Malwarebytes check the thread here http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=95106
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Volney Heyerdahl on 08-25-2010 at 04:50 PM

When the version 5.0 whom will be compatible with the new Windows Live?
I believe that shouldn't have more tabs for the new version of MPlus!, that's cause the new windows live has tabs that are part with the program, there would be a series of conflicts with Windows Live.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by the sad eye on 08-25-2010 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volney Heyerdahl
When the version 5.0 whom will be compatible with the new Windows Live?
I believe that shouldn't have more tabs for the new version of MPlus!, that's cause the new windows live has tabs that are part with the program, there would be a series of conflicts with Windows Live.

Yeah Patchou, can you please give us a only a  hint about the progress of the version 5.0 and a proximately time line of when it will it be read, thanks in advance.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by CookieRevised on 08-25-2010 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the sad eye
[Yeah Patchou, can you please give us a only a  hint about the progress of the version 5.0
For a hint, see the first post in this thread and the changelogs...

quote:
Originally posted by the sad eye
and a proximately time line of when it will it be read, thanks in advance.
It will be ready when it is ready :P

In the past is has shown time and again that giving a time frame (even an approximation) will always backfire and the public will always interpret it wrong (that is: not taking in account that stuff can always be delayed because of tons of reasons)...

Nothing should be expected before Windows Live Messenger goes out of beta anyways... and even after that it might take a while...
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Lorwoo on 10-01-2010 at 11:37 AM

Windows Live Messenger 2011 has released today, the current plus! version can't be used anymore. I'm eager to download a new version.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by djdannyp on 10-04-2010 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lorwoo
Windows Live Messenger 2011 has released today, the current plus! version can't be used anymore. I'm eager to download a new version.

Please see the following thread:

[!] WLM 2011 and Messenger Plus! Live
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by nys_77 on 10-22-2010 at 06:37 PM

quote:

Same in here :(
RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.84 by Menthix on 10-22-2010 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nys_77
quote:

Same in here :(
See Plus 4.9 on WLM 2011. Which features work and which ones don't.