Shoutbox

Offensive sound - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Offensive sound (/showthread.php?tid=9443)

Offensive sound by richsmith on 04-29-2003 at 08:51 PM

Hello,
       I find one of the sounds in msgplus offensive and blaspheamous, it is the oh my god sound, as a Christian i find this sound offensive and i dont like the word even being there let alone the sound. I am not the only one that finds this sound offensive many others do too. Please could this sound be removed. If you also find this sound offensive please post below.
thank you
Godbless
Richard

RE: Offensive sound by Johnny_Mac on 04-29-2003 at 09:01 PM

Well, this forum isnt a place to start a petition. However I accept your views. Although they is the argument that if you complain about plus, you should complain also about everything else that uses that term. For example, the person who recoreded it. :undecided:

RE: Offensive sound by sock on 04-29-2003 at 09:37 PM

If you find it offensive, don't use it and ask you contacts not to as well, or disable the Plus! sounds. You can't enforce your beliefs on others, that's why they say that term every second minute on TV. And frankly I can't see how it can be offensive.

RE: Offensive sound by DXtremz on 04-29-2003 at 09:42 PM

Plus! is free, you dont like something on it, dont use it...Its quite simple actually...I believe in God, and find it offensive when someone uses the Lords name in vain, however, you must realize that just because you dont like it, that no one else wants to use it. I dont use it, but others do. Its just like TV, if you dont like a show, you dont complain about it, because you know that no one is going to change it, instead, you just turn the show off. Simple. You dont like it, you dont use it.

RE: Offensive sound by Chode on 04-29-2003 at 09:44 PM

In my opinion they should have added an 11th commandmant to the bible called "Keep thy religion to thyself"

RE: Offensive sound by DXtremz on 04-29-2003 at 09:46 PM

Now, you must be an athiest (lets not get into religious wars :P), so by saying that, you are imposing your beliefs on other. :P...
The greatness of freedom is that we can all say our beliefs as we wish...when we wish :P..

RE: Offensive sound by Johnny_Mac on 04-29-2003 at 09:57 PM

Including saying "Oh My God!"

RE: Offensive sound by harry_potter on 04-29-2003 at 10:02 PM

i find it offensive to and have chosen not to use it. I dont want to get into an argument about rassism and everything, coz i know this isnt the place. But you wouldnt have a word on there that offends a black person, an asian person or a chinease person, so why is it ok to have a word that ofeends christians?? if that made sence

RE: Offensive sound by DXtremz on 04-29-2003 at 10:03 PM

Thats what I was saying Johnny :P

RE: Offensive sound by Patchou on 04-29-2003 at 10:05 PM

Well, I agree on the fact that you can deactivate the sounds if you find them offensive... if many peopel request it to be removed, I'll comply. However, as far as I understand this american expression, it is a very common one. In fact, the sound you hear is Henry Hill (in King Of The Hill) and he is Christian up to the bones.

RE: Offensive sound by rh on 04-29-2003 at 11:04 PM

hi!

i would also recommend not to use the sound if you don't like it, or switch off the sound option as whole.

i also have to say that i would find it kind of scary if we would remove this sound, just because it offends some people. i mean, there is a right of free speech, and i personally don't think that it is the right choice to limit your own freedom of speech. noone forces you to use these sounds, and so you have the freedom to not use them - so in any case you have all freedoms. but on the other side: there are people who want to use this sound (e.g. myself) and if you remove it, you will take away my freedom and there is no way to compensate this. i cannot simply decide to still use them if they got removed, while you can decide to simply NOT use them while they are there. lets keep our personal freedoms as big as possible.

you know, i personally could decide, that i think "terminator" is hurting my feelings, and the "imperial march" etc. this way all the sounds would have to be removed out of plus!
and i could decide that independent journalists hurt my feelings too. and anyone who is critizising the government etc.pp. i could even decide that i find anyone offensive who has a different opinion from mine. if everyone else would respect this, any democratic discussion would be impossible. we would end up in some kind of a "dictatorship of the conformists".

BTW: i know not one christian whose feelings would be hurt because of the "Oh my god"-sound, but perhaps thats different with the christians here in europe - i don't know.

RE: Offensive sound by STMB on 04-29-2003 at 11:50 PM

I'm Christian and I DON'T find this sound offensive.  I'm used to people swearing, and "Oh my god" isn't that bad compared to what I'm used to hear.  I actually use that sound sometimes, I find it more funny than offensive.  Of course, I respect the people who say that it is offensive, it's their opinion. 

RE: Offensive sound by AeRoOrAnGe on 04-30-2003 at 12:41 AM

the Plus! sounds piss me off all together, but I just turn them off. I agree completely with people who don't think it should be removed, it's become more of a slang term in the US and people use it all the time. i understand that some people may find it offensive, but then just dont use it. i think a "christian version" would be a waste of time, and that if you want to go to that much work, just make it so that you can pick what specific sounds you want or dont want (or perhaps make it so that you can add you own .WAV sounds to play when the command is typed; just like you can for when contacts log in/out).

RE: RE: Offensive sound by wacky on 04-30-2003 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Henry Hill (in King Of The Hill)

It's actually Hank Hill (Henry Hill is the french one!!:P)!!But it doesnt matter...

I'm a Christian. I agree that it's offensive to some, but not to me. This is a free world. We are allowed to say what ever we want. Many people find it funny(including me) and we want to continue having that sound. U dont have to use it if u dont want it. I bet u their are more people thats would want to keep it than the ones that don't. So, I just think we should keep it... but that is MY point of view...

RE: Offensive sound by KMD on 04-30-2003 at 02:26 AM

Not to add to the problem at hand but don't we have anything better to rant about? With all the other major goings on in the world, this seems very trivial to me. No offense, just life is too short to get tied up in the little things. My 2 cents!:-)

Also, thanks Patchou for this amazing FREE add on, you are very generous for sharing this (for free) with the rest of us! Hats off for a fantastic job!

RE: Offensive sound by Guido on 04-30-2003 at 02:41 AM

I don't find the sound offensive. As Patchou said, its a very common phrase, not only in North America, but at least as far as i know it's very  common in Hispanic countries.

It's not used against Religion, Christianity. It's just a common phrase to express Surprise. The meaning of that phrase is probably, "Oh My God", asking God to help you understand the situation that surprises you.

Of course, in MSN is used more generally, and as a joke. But not a joke directed against God. I don't find it a lack of respect.

RE: Offensive sound by lizard.boy on 05-02-2003 at 01:01 AM

maybe patchou could make the config dialog so you can enable disable or custom configure (ony the sounds you want to hear) the sounds. like:
(_) enable (_) disable (x) custom
------------------------------------------
|_|omg
|x|evillaugh
|x|bye

RE: Offensive sound by Wabz on 05-02-2003 at 09:07 AM

Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams — they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do — they all contain truths."
Muhammad Ali

Just about sums it up i think

RE: Offensive sound by jpg050 on 05-02-2003 at 10:14 AM

Here is Spain most of us are Catholic Christians and use that expresion everytime, like asking God to help us, that's simply a pray xD

Anyway, if it was offensive, everyone should be offended, Christian God (Or Jehová, or whatever name) ain't the only god around here...

RE: Offensive sound by Pure_BY on 05-02-2003 at 04:56 PM

I have been livin' in Belarus for 12 years, and Belarus is a very christian country. Many people belive in God there, and go to chearch very often. And *everyone* is using this expression over there, it is ABSOLUTELY normal. We say that it is very bad to say "Ohhh hell!", because that's like you ask the help from hell. If you say "ohh my God!", it looks like you ask help from God, and people even say it all the time especially because they belive God will help them.

As about me -- i say "Ohh FUCK!!!!" or "ohh SHIT!!" all the time, so i dont give a fuck :gfdrin:

And i like the new sound, and i agree that it MUST stay. If anybody does not like it --> dont use it.

That's it.

RE: Offensive sound by cozzer3000 on 05-03-2003 at 10:38 AM

Okay, I've just spent the last few minutes reading your answers and wondering what the hell you people are on about when you say 'Ohhhh Boo Hoo, you are insulting my religion' - yet you are constantly referring to the Christian religion. You are automatically assuming that only your Christian God is of worthy note, what about all the other Gods? By saying that you are only demonstrating that you are no better a Christian than the person who says 'Oh My God!'

RE: RE: Offensive sound by jpg050 on 05-04-2003 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jpg050
Here is Spain most of us are Catholic Christians and use that expresion everytime
Anyway, if it was offensive, everyone should be offended, Christian God (Or Jehová, or whatever name) ain't the only god around here...

I said that before you XD

Anyway, God (with capital) usually refers to Jehová, the Christian god (in lowercase), so perhaps the discussion has taken this way because of that.
RE: Offensive sound by richsmith on 05-04-2003 at 09:48 PM

um Jehova is the same as the Christian God

RE: Offensive sound by musicalmidget on 05-04-2003 at 10:07 PM

This is starting to sound like my Religion lessons. :rolleyes:

RE: RE: Offensive sound by wacky on 05-04-2003 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cozzer3000
Okay, I've just spent the last few minutes reading your answers and wondering what the hell you people are on about when you say 'Ohhhh Boo Hoo, you are insulting my religion' - yet you are constantly referring to the Christian religion. You are automatically assuming that only your Christian God is of worthy note, what about all the other Gods? By saying that you are only demonstrating that you are no better a Christian than the person who says 'Oh My God!'

BTW, we(christians) think their is only ONE god, that every religion has the same god...
RE: Offensive sound by musicalmidget on 05-04-2003 at 10:28 PM

I think everyone is forgetting though that Plus! wasn't made to offend anyone.  It was made to make your MSN chats more fun and interesting.  The sounds are just there for a laugh.  Like the Goodbye one, after seeing the film it's taken from I think it's hillarious.  They are all funny in their own way.  Of course I see why some of you are offended, but try and see the funny side of it, it's just a very commonly used phrase (in most parts of the world) there for those who want to use it.

RE: Offensive sound by jpg050 on 05-04-2003 at 11:42 PM

Amén

RE: Offensive sound by wacky on 05-04-2003 at 11:49 PM

hehe! Amen!

RE: Offensive sound by musicalmidget on 05-04-2003 at 11:56 PM

Hey wak_girl, it makes my fingers ache scrolling to the bottom of your posts. :p

RE: RE: Offensive sound by Guido on 05-05-2003 at 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
Hey wak_girl, it makes my fingers ache scrolling to the bottom of your posts. :p
yes, please someone edit that sig :blah:
RE: Offensive sound by wacky on 05-05-2003 at 02:30 AM

ok! ok! I'll fix it! It's just really funny to me... maybe not to u tho, so I'll change it! :blah!:

RE: Offensive sound by Kickboy12 on 05-05-2003 at 03:44 AM

lol... i found it funny too :p
o well..
Anyway, me (being Atheist) don't thinkt he phrase "Oh my God" is truely so bad... but i respect other peoples veiws.

So, as somone said in a ealier post (i skimed all the posts), i think there should be an option to disable and enable each sound idividually. So one may disable that sound if they do not agree with its meaning.

RE: Offensive sound by AzNiNsEcT on 05-05-2003 at 03:48 AM

the "oh my god" sound wasnt intended *or i hope not :S* to be religious or nuffin, if u dont like it, dont use it, forget it existed...cept it dun work wif bugs in software..:P

RE: Offensive sound by Little Minx on 05-05-2003 at 12:38 PM

I love that sound leave it alone.

RE: Offensive sound by Cid642 on 05-05-2003 at 01:30 PM

Yeah ther is nottin wrong wi that sound its a general sayin i hear it all the time, people in the streets say it
I agree wi little minx ;) (lol guess who) yeh its kul i use it all the time

RE: Offensive sound by Little Minx on 05-05-2003 at 01:40 PM

I know who you are my wee scotsman

RE: Offensive sound by Cid642 on 05-05-2003 at 01:50 PM

So ne1 think that there are offensives sounds on the new msn?????

RE: Offensive sound by Little Minx on 05-05-2003 at 01:53 PM

I'd like an 'I love you 'sound

RE: Offensive sound by Cid642 on 05-05-2003 at 01:57 PM

Ther was i wasnt ther but it got replces with xs? an i wudnt really consider "I love you" to be offensive? but still it wud be nice to be able 2 say it 2 all the special people i talk 2 on msn again ;) lol

RE: Offensive sound by Little Minx on 05-05-2003 at 02:00 PM

Your a charmer my wee scotsman look what msn is doing to us.