Shoutbox

Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! (/showthread.php?tid=94520)

Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by V@no on 05-04-2010 at 03:22 AM

Hello.
It's been too many times and so annoying when after simple windows reboot MPL pops up with warning that it detected wlm crash and disabled all plugins...while nothing crashed at all! 8o|

If you are going to disable plugins, let us decide if we want them be disabled or not. A simple courtesy with a "would like disable plugins?" prompt or even better with a list of plugins where we can decide which one/all of them to disable would be the best way to go...

Thank you.

RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by prashker on 05-04-2010 at 03:46 AM

See SonicSam's reply to [Suggestion:] Option to disable auto-disabling of scripts

RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by V@no on 05-04-2010 at 03:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. Somehow I've overlooked that topic...

It's a good work around for now, but still hope this will be changed in new version.
Current feature was meant with good intentions, but was made with bad implementation ;)

RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by Spunky on 05-04-2010 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by V@no
Thanks for the reply. Somehow I've overlooked that topic...

It's a good work around for now, but still hope this will be changed in new version.
Current feature was meant with good intentions, but was made with bad implementation ;)

I suppose it is possible if your are using a script that uses Xniff that it causes a silent error causing WLM to crash on closing...
RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by CookieRevised on 05-04-2010 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by V@no
but was made with bad implementation ;)
What do you exactly mean? If you enable that registery setting nothing will be cleared/stopped when you restart... It works perfectly.... always....

EDIT: oh, or do you mean the auto-disabling when there is a crash? Yeah, I agree on that. But that is from a developpers POV (which are only a very very very small amount of the total userbase).

Because, knowing that 99% of the people are not developpers, let alone can understand (read) what scripts do or how they work, I think it is a good and wise implementation. Sometimes you really must protect the user from themselfs. The more experienced user/developper can easily enable such a registry setting. So having it the other way around would have been much much worse...

If this wasn't done, we would probably have a lot of "Plus! crashes Messenger all the time when I start it" messages. Or "I can't even try to fix anything because Messenger doesn't even start anymore"....
RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by V@no on 05-04-2010 at 05:54 PM

Yes, I agree, such protection is a-must, but what I meant, is that it doesn't let user to choose the actions, it's forcibly does it for you - that is the "bad implementation" ;) (now, it does sound like Apple's restrictions for their AppStore - "we know better what is best for you" *whistling*)

Anyway, the problem I'm having with current method is that in years I've installed many plugins, many of them I've disabled for various reasons, after a while I forget which of them were enabled, so once it's forcibly disabled, I have to go through each of them and try to remember was it enabled or not. Yes, I sure should clean them up, but some are good, just need to be updated and I hope they will one day, that's why they are not uninstalled. And besides, having 3 accounts on 3 computers with different plugins, it's hard to keep track which of them use which plugins.

RE: Please stop disable all plugins because MPL thinks WLM crashed! by CookieRevised on 05-04-2010 at 06:15 PM

lol, I hear you (and Patchou too I suppose), I had exactly the same frustration when Plus! hit me in the face with this "all your scripts are now disabled".

I too was literally like "WT##**BLOODY@@#CRAP**FU*KINGPLUS!"  at that moment as I (and I suppose many others) are in the exact same situation: a shitload of scripts accumulated of the many years of testing, many of them enabled and many disabled and then going thru the list again and trying to remember what was enabled and what not.... Then I found that registry key and all was well (after comlaining to Patchou of course). :p

I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to some stuff what Apples does though. At least with this you _do_ have the choice and you _can_ change the behaviour (although it usually comes after the 'harm' done).