Shoutbox

Copying Partition (& Related Problems) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Copying Partition (& Related Problems) (/showthread.php?tid=94552)

Copying Partition (& Related Problems) by Nagamasa on 05-08-2010 at 08:46 PM

Hey guys, need some advice again!

Well Dell's sending me a new hard drive for my Studio 15 laptop. Of course, I'll need to backup all my stuff and then transfer it all.

However, to avoid this, I'm thinking of just copying the entire partition over to the new hard drive and then everything as usual from that one.

I'm just wondering if this will work with the use of programs such as GParted or Cobian Backup will work for this, or if you have any other free suggestions.

And also, would I need to 'prepare' anything extra (OS-wise?)? I haven't unplugged the HD yet (I know, I'm such a win cause I lost all my small screwdrivers.) but I do have desktop sized power/SATA cables.

~Thanks!

RE: Copying Partition by prashker on 05-08-2010 at 09:06 PM

If using Windows 7, look into their "Backup and Restore" panel.

Use Windows 7's built in System Image tool and create a backup of your Windows 7 install to an external hard disk. Install your new hard drive, boot from your Windows 7 DVD and choose to restore a system image and point to the location where the System Image is backed up.

Edit: Since you don't have an external hard drive:

[Image: Create_a_system_image_23914.png]

And when restoring, just use that network location again.

Using a wired connection would make it a lot faster, however if you're patient and trust a wireless connection for a complete backup, go ahead :p. ETHERNET THAT BITCH!

RE: Copying Partition by MeEtc on 05-08-2010 at 09:06 PM

Gparted only modiffies paretitions, and I'm not familiar with cobain. Moving your OS to a new hdd isn't usually complicated. I've done this before and used norton ghost loaded onto a bartpe disk. The only catch is that you will need to make an image of the disk first, on a 3rd drive. An external usb hard drive will work fine. Depending on the size of your disk to move and the amount of data on it, you might have to wait a few hours to allow the image to be made.

RE: Copying Partition by djdannyp on 05-08-2010 at 09:24 PM

Also remember that if using Win 7's backup that you can only backup to a Network Location with Win 7 Pro or higher......Home Edition doesn't offer that

RE: Copying Partition by Nagamasa on 05-08-2010 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Also remember that if using Win 7's backup that you can only backup to a Network Location with Win 7 Pro or higher......Home Edition doesn't offer that
Lmao whoops he forgot to ask if I had Ultimate/Pro.

I guess I'll just unplug the other HD and do it :P

Thanks~ =)
RE: Copying Partition by Adeptus on 05-09-2010 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Well Dell's sending me a new hard drive for my Studio 15 laptop. Of course, I'll need to backup all my stuff and then transfer it all.  However, to avoid this, I'm thinking of just copying the entire partition over to the new hard drive and then everything as usual from that one.
That is tempting, but let's talk about why they are sending you a new hard drive.  I assume it is a warranty replacement because the old drive has developed bad areas and you have experienced some problems with it?

If so and the problems are persistent, you may be better off just putting in the effort of backing up the data and reinstalling the apps.  OS and application files that are already damaged will be still corrupt after you transfer them to another drive.  Sometimes it works out ok, but but be prepared it might not.

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Gparted only modiffies paretitions
I thought so too for a long time because it isn't intuitive, but no -- GParted can be used to transfer partitions to another drive.  The Move function (which most would try first) doesn't do this, but Copy does (and then you can optionally delete the source).  I also don't remember whether I had to create the destination partition manually before the copy would work.
RE: Copying Partition by Nagamasa on 05-09-2010 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
Well Dell's sending me a new hard drive for my Studio 15 laptop. Of course, I'll need to backup all my stuff and then transfer it all.  However, to avoid this, I'm thinking of just copying the entire partition over to the new hard drive and then everything as usual from that one.
That is tempting, but let's talk about why they are sending you a new hard drive.  I assume it is a warranty replacement because the old drive has developed bad areas and you have experienced some problems with it?

If so and the problems are persistent, you may be better off just putting in the effort of backing up the data and reinstalling the apps.  OS and application files that are already damaged will be still corrupt after you transfer them to another drive.  Sometimes it works out ok, but but be prepared it might not.

Yeah warranty replacement - laptop randomly gets stuck. It's still new - 4 months old.

I get 10 days to switch hard drives and send it back, which is why I need it nice and speedy to get my computer "business as usual" again. Of course, if it doesn't work out, I'll revert to the 'tried and tested' manually doing it method.

But thanks for letting me know~

RE: Copying Partition by prashker on 05-09-2010 at 12:51 AM

Don't forget programs like http://ninite.com that saves you a bunch of time for generic stuff :cheesy:

RE: Copying Partition by Menthix on 05-09-2010 at 12:20 PM

I've been trying various harddisk cloning tools when my drive went bad. The problem is, various tools just don't handle bad sectors well. In my case it was a SSD with a couple of bad sectors on it. CloneZilla for example (based on DD) just errors and stops when it encounters a bad sector. Perhaps it does have a commandline switch to ignore those, but it's not in CloneZilla's GUI.

Eventually had success with EASEUS Disk Copy.

Before you start copying though, run checkdisk fully to fix things as far as it is recoverable. In Xxplorer rightclick on the drive -> Properties -> Tools -> Error-checking -> Check now. Make sure to check all the options. When it is the system drive it will probably only start checking once you reboot. Then right after chechdisk start copying it before it crashes and data corrupts again. After you restored the disk to the new drive, run checkdisk again to restore what couldn't be fixed when it was on the broken drive.

Like Adeptus said, it's no guarantee it will work, and you may still be left with a lot of corrupted data and crashes because of it, but it's worth a try. Worked for me, still running stable on the restored data.

Dot you have a way to get the data across, since it is a laptop? USB connected harddisk would be the easiest way if available. On the other hand, you can just connect the SATA laptop drives to your regular PC these days... used to be more trouble when they used different cables back in the day.

RE: Copying Partition by Mike on 05-09-2010 at 01:40 PM

http://lifehacker.com/5517688/how-to-upgrade-your...p-your-data-intact

RE: Copying Partition by Menthix on 05-09-2010 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
http://lifehacker.com/5517688/how-to-upgrade-your...p-your-data-intact
Most things mentioned there won't work with an erroring disk.
RE: Copying Partition by andrey on 05-09-2010 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Don't forget programs like http://ninite.com that saves you a bunch of time for generic stuff :cheesy:
:o that's pretty nifty :banana:

but lol, 20$/month for the pro version, how ridiculous

(btw, from what i've understood it uses some kind of unified installer, but then what about apps where you can choose to install (optional) toolbars and other dodgy stuff?)
RE: Copying Partition by ipab on 05-09-2010 at 07:17 PM

I've done numerous disk clones in my time. Waaaay too many. Anyway, I use Acronis True Image for it. I believe the "Home" edition is free for 30 days.

RE: Copying Partition by djdannyp on 05-09-2010 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
(btw, from what i've understood it uses some kind of unified installer, but then what about apps where you can choose to install (optional) toolbars and other dodgy stuff?)

quote:
Originally posted by nininite.com

No Toolbars
Ninite says "No" to toolbars
and other junk.

RE: Copying Partition by Nagamasa on 05-10-2010 at 01:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Will definitely look into it next time I mass install.
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Like Adeptus said, it's no guarantee it will work, and you may still be left with a lot of corrupted data and crashes because of it, but it's worth a try. Worked for me, still running stable on the restored data.

Dot you have a way to get the data across, since it is a laptop? USB connected harddisk would be the easiest way if available. On the other hand, you can just connect the SATA laptop drives to your regular PC these days... used to be more trouble when they used different cables back in the day.
The data itself is still fine here, it's not like Windows is blue screening on me (yet, touch wood). I'll probably use Windows' built in Image Backup, since it is built in. But if it doesn't work, I'll use this for sure. Thanks!

Thankfully I got a USB SATA thingy over Winter Break, I plugged in my old desktop HD which is just big enough according to Windows Image Backup.
RE: Copying Partition by Chrissy on 05-10-2010 at 01:51 AM

ninite.com looks great :D

* Chrissy bookmarks

RE: Copying Partition (& Related Problems) by Nagamasa on 05-25-2010 at 02:55 AM

Hey, thanks guys for helping me out - imaging saving and restoring worked out great.

However, I think I should've asked this first:

- My problem is that Windows just randomly lock-up (that is, everything is stuck [mouse, keyboard, backlight on keyboard, etc.]) occasionally,  during medium stress.

Many users are reporting insufficient wattage (90W). Could this be the culprit of the freezing?

RE: Copying Partition (& Related Problems) by Menthix on 05-25-2010 at 09:06 AM

quote:
My problem is that Windows just randomly lock-up (that is, everything is stuck [mouse, keyboard, backlight on keyboard, etc.]) occasionally,  during medium stress.

Many users are reporting insufficient wattage (90W). Could this be the culprit of the freezing?
Highly doubt it. We're talking about a laptop here, which has the hardware parts picked out by the manufacturer. They make sure things match and are tested. More likely is overheating or bad RAM.

RE: Copying Partition (& Related Problems) by Nagamasa on 05-26-2010 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
My problem is that Windows just randomly lock-up (that is, everything is stuck [mouse, keyboard, backlight on keyboard, etc.]) occasionally,  during medium stress.

Highly doubt it. We're talking about a laptop here, which has the hardware parts picked out by the manufacturer. They make sure things match and are tested. More likely is overheating or bad RAM.
See the thing is, the more I look my laptop up, the more general design-related problems there are, which is why I am asking. So it is in fact possible that it could be the culprit?
RE: Copying Partition (& Related Problems) by Adeptus on 05-26-2010 at 12:58 AM

quote:
I assume you mean the power adapter and that would be unlikely.  The first thing that would happen if its wattage was insufficient is it wouldn't charge the battery properly.  On the other hand, with the battery charged that would make up for any power shortage.