Shoutbox

msn doesnt go to try more - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: msn doesnt go to try more (/showthread.php?tid=94599)

msn doesnt go to try more by ballot on 05-16-2010 at 11:38 PM

hi i got newest version of Messenger Plus i use win 7 64 bit and it doesnt go to tray how can i disable this function (N)

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by Chris4 on 05-16-2010 at 11:46 PM

You're confusing Windows Live Messenger with the Messenger Plus! Live add-on. The issue you're having will happen with or without Plus!

In Windows 7, Windows Live Messenger does not go to the system tray.

When WLM 2010 is released, there will be features which are better suited for the Windows 7 taskbar.

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by Chrissy on 05-16-2010 at 11:46 PM

On the short-cut to WLM, right click on it and select 'Properties'.

Once the box is open, go on the Compatibility tab and check the box to run WLM under Windows Vista SP2.

Restart WLM. (please note everytime you update Plus! you will need to re-do this step.)

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by Chris4 on 05-17-2010 at 12:05 AM

Krissy, we've discussed this many times, you shouldn't be recommending the "compatibility hack" to users. Patchou has said himself that it causes problems and we've experienced users on the forum who have had problems caused by this. Whether or not you experience problems yourself is not relevant. Users need to get used to WLM being on the taskbar because it is going to be like that in the future and won't be returning to the system tray any time soon. If users don't wish to use the new features with the Windows 7 taskbar, they shouldn't be using Windows 7 in the first place and should go back to using XP.

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by Chrissy on 05-17-2010 at 12:35 AM

He still asked how to do it, so I told him. I myself haven't had any problems with it so I have no reason saying it's as bad as people say.

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by ballot on 05-18-2010 at 11:59 AM

i will try and report thank you all :)
but all people should re-compile their programs for x64 Compatibility and win7 ofc people who doesnt that always lose we dont want to you port a new version for win 98,its win 7 xD

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by Menthix on 05-18-2010 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ballot
but all people should re-compile their programs for x64 Compatibility and win7
Your issue is not caused by any incompatibility with 64bit or windows 7. Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! both work perfectly fine on 64bit Windows 7 systems.

Minimizing application to the taskbar instead of the tray is by design in Windows 7. It takes a bit of getting used to.
RE: msn doesnt go to try more by buggy2 on 06-12-2010 at 08:43 AM

You can make it go to the tray the same way used to make the standard MSN go to the tray:
1. Right click the MSN shortcut you are using,
2. Go to the compatibility tab,
3. Select "Vista with Service Pack 2" and go

RE: msn doesnt go to try more by CookieRevised on 06-12-2010 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by buggy2
You can make it go to the tray the same way used to make the standard MSN go to the tray:
1. Right click the MSN shortcut you are using,
2. Go to the compatibility tab,
3. Select "Vista with Service Pack 2" and go
Thank you for your input, but please do NOT use the compatibility hack and try to read the entire thread before posting:

Chris4's reply to msn doesnt go to try more
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
you shouldn't be recommending the "compatibility hack" to users. Patchou has said himself that it causes problems and we've experienced users on the forum who have had problems caused by this. Whether or not you experience problems yourself is not relevant. Users need to get used to WLM being on the taskbar because it is going to be like that in the future and won't be returning to the system tray any time soon. If users don't wish to use the new features with the Windows 7 taskbar, they shouldn't be using Windows 7 in the first place and should go back to using XP.

Also note that those problems caused by setting the compatibility might not be visible at first (or ever), but that doesn't mean that under the hood they aren't there!