Shoutbox

Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? (/showthread.php?tid=94614)

Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 09:41 AM

with the Beta release of Mybb1.6 has DZ got any plans to update to it when it becomes final.

P.S. i know i asked you in PM DZ but you can put the answer in here if you like so everyone can see

RE: Forum Upgrade to 1.6? by Discrate on 05-19-2010 at 09:45 AM

DZ never updates the forum

RE: Forum Upgrade to 1.6? by Menthix on 05-19-2010 at 09:50 AM

TBH, at this point we'll probably loose more than we'll gain if me moved to the regular MyBB.

RE: Forum Upgrade to 1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 10:34 AM

how could we lose more than we'd Gain if DZ upgraded?

RE: RE: Forum Upgrade to 1.6? by blackjack on 05-19-2010 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

Because this is WDZBB

:P

its ok as it is :P
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Menthix on 05-19-2010 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
This board has loads of added features and tweaks which WDZ made over the years, things which aren't in the regular MyBB.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

Because this is WDZBB

:P

its ok as it is :P
it might be but if Mybb1.6 has better Tools for Admins etc or what not else than this Board currently has i would think 1.6 would be the way to go. but as i said in the Shoutbox we'll see what DZ says about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
This board has loads of added features and tweaks which WDZ made over the years, things which aren't in the regular MyBB.
as i recall an i said it to DZ in a PM, but when Mybb1.4 came out i asked him the same exact question, im pretty sure his reply was that, Mybb1.4 has so much more better Tools in it than this Board currently has. the only real reason that he never upgraded to Mybb1.4  was that it was buggy. before i say anymore about this i'd like to hear from DZ about this since he'd be the one upgrading the board etc.  but the way i see it, times are a changing an so is technology.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Chrissy on 05-19-2010 at 12:50 PM

I'm sure someone told me WDZ made the updates outside the core. If so, it wouldn't be as hard to implement them else ware.

However, the theme would have to be re-done and that should take some time..

Still worth it I suppose.

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by user35870 on 05-19-2010 at 05:58 PM

There is many things this forum could take advantage of by upgrading to MyBB 1.6 when it goes stable.

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by prashker on 05-19-2010 at 08:00 PM

Including SonicSam as Super Admin :refuck:

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Lou on 05-19-2010 at 09:35 PM

It's obviously never going to happen. Give up hope immediately.

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by andrey on 05-19-2010 at 10:46 PM

this has come up on every mybb release, but seriously, what essential features are you missing here that are in mybb 1.6? :p

some 'brand new' features in mybb1.6 according to here and here and other custom stuff wdz added from newer mybb versions:

pm search <- check
thread prefixes/video mycode <- meh :zippy:
undoing votes <- lol? has been a feature on here for years :p
inline editing <- check, via userscript
shoutbox <- check, way more awesome than the mybb one
reputation system <- check
thread activity indicators <- check

i just don't see the advantages of upgrading the forum for the sake of upgrading..
there have been vague plans of restructuring the forums in the future now that we have yuna and i have nothing against that if it adds real benefits.
(....that is, as long as the shoutbox stays the way it is and dz isn't put out of his job as admin :chroppy:)

oh, and: other stuff that we have that isn't in mybb (afaik)
latest posts and all its tweaks/config
google search
detailed forum stats

Spoiler:
spoiler tags :chroppy:
ye olde smiley inserter
quick quote (mybb has something similar-ish though)
reputation deletion log
and probably some other stuff i missed
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by prashker on 05-19-2010 at 11:01 PM

Voting in favor of just manually changing the version number to 1.6 :zippy:?

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by NanaFreak on 05-19-2010 at 11:05 PM

WDZBB > MyBB...

that amount of updates WDZ has done would take months of constant work to implement into 1.6...

the forum is stable and if there are any features DZ wants... he can code it because he is a big boy [=

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
WDZBB > MyBB...

that amount of updates WDZ has done would take months of constant work to implement into 1.6...

the forum is stable and if there are any features DZ wants... he can code it because he is a big boy [=
why would DZ code the features in when he's to lazy to do that now? wouldnt it be easier just to install 1.6 an then let him make his own modifications to it

it might be stable but its out dated.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Chrissy on 05-19-2010 at 11:19 PM

He should integrate some of the new stuff then (A)?

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 11:32 PM

Andrey, your missing the point, if there's better Tools that Admins an or other Mods can use on Mybb1.6 why not install 1.6? if not as Chrissy stated just let DZ code them into this board but the way i see it, DZ isnt around the forum much nowadays anyway so it would probably be easier for him to upgrade it to 1.6 an then let him do his Modifications to it.

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by andrey on 05-19-2010 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
Andrey, your missing the point, if there's better Tools that Admins an or other Mods can use on Mybb1.6 why not install 1.6?
I don't think i'm missing the point here :p
Also, I haven't heard the mods complain about fancy features they're missing
if we upgrade, we'll lose the custom/improved stuff i listed above, and somehow i doubt we'd see it added again :tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
TBH, at this point we'll probably loose more than we'll gain if me moved to the regular MyBB.

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-19-2010 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I don't think i'm missing the point here :p
Also, I haven't heard the mods complain about fancy features they're missing
if we upgrade, we'll lose the custom/improved stuff i listed above, and somehow i doubt we'd see it added again :tongue:
yanno andrey, im sure they thought that over on another forum i used to be a Mod on which was fedoraforum an it used a very old Vbulletin board.. 3.0.4 i think it was. tools we thought were ok, then i mentioned to the guy that owned the forum ( or who we thought that owned it ) till he updated the board to 3.7.x vbulletin, then our tools were so much better. you dont realise it till you actually use the better tools at hand.  but as i have mentioned before an i will say it again, hopefully for the last time, lets wait an see what DZ says about it since he'd be the one doing the work.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by NanaFreak on 05-20-2010 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
WDZBB > MyBB...

why would DZ code the features in when he's to lazy to do that now? wouldnt it be easier just to install 1.6 an then let him make his own modifications to it

it might be stable but its out dated.
so you want him to spend months adding is additions back into 1.6 that are in this so that he can have 'better admin/mod tools' ?

seems very pointless...
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-20-2010 at 12:21 AM

quote:
so you want him to spend months adding is additions back into 1.6 that are in this so that he can have 'better admin/mod tools' ?
might seem pointless to you cause you dont have to Ban spammers or anything else for that matter. i think DZ is good enough with PHP where he could possibly maintain the custom Modifications in this board an easily put those into 1.6, personally i think your making this out to be a rather long Job when it probably isnt at all.

as far as we all might not be aware of, DZ maybe currently testing the New Board now.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by blessedguy on 05-20-2010 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
might seem pointless to you cause you dont have to Ban spammers or anything else for that matter.
Well, WDZ has and he doesn't seem to care :P

As long as the forum is stable, fast, and has all the stuff we need, it doesn't seem to really need to be updated.
And as stated above, WDZ's modifications made his custom version even better than MyBB 1.6.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by toddy on 05-20-2010 at 12:54 AM

why do you even care ICQ?

RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Hank on 05-20-2010 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
that was a dumbass comment toddy, are you saying you dont care? well if you dont care lets Delete the forum all together. im also trying to Promote Mybb by getting DZ to do this, i dont see others doing that here. if Mybb is gonna become a contender to vbulletin and or IPB there gonna need help to promote there upcoming mybb forum, however im not saying we should update to mybb1.8 an then to mybb2.0, plus with the next MPL or whatever its gonna be called coming out it might be time to freshen up the Board to accomadate patchou's new Project.

now that iv'e said that, im gonna sit back an wait for DZ to comment about this.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Lou on 05-20-2010 at 02:03 AM

• Member List Alphabetical sorting
  • Thread prefixes for scripting, testing etc. forums
  • Nested quote limits :P
  • Youtube (necessary? Probably not. Nifty? yes)
  • Limit user priveleges for set time (like posting, needs approval, etc.)
  • Only recieve PMs from buddies
  • Built-in quick edit (I don't want to have to add loads of stuff to my browsers on every computer I use for 1 single board)
  • Delayed moderation actions (like unstick after x days, delete after x days for stuff like <Month> Desktops
  • Easily remove threads from banned users (like bots!)

But only WDZ knows if that's worth it :P.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Tochjo on 05-20-2010 at 07:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
I haven't heard the mods complain about fancy features they're missing
From a moderator perspective, I don't see any real reason to upgrade. Sure, inline moderation tools are nice, as well as inline editing, but the banning system works fine, moderation actions are not missed here and removing threads from bots works great thanks to finding all of a user's posts, opening them in tabs and clicking the quick delete button.
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by vaccination on 05-20-2010 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I vote for this, and any future myBB versions.

Stop whining, this board functions fine.
RE: RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by Discrate on 05-20-2010 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I vote for this, and any future myBB versions.

Stop whining, this board functions fine.

whining gives us something to do on this near dead forum. :P

Whine away! [Image: pedobear.png]
RE: Forum Upgrade to Mybb1.6? by WDZ on 05-20-2010 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
That's what I always wonder too, lol :P

I don't intend to do much work at all on the board until I know what Yuna is planning. Patchou said something about a "new forum structure" which I haven't been told anything about.

I'm kind of hoping they'll get someone else to run this board so I can finally leave... I'm 24 years old and I've been here since I was 15, and I haven't used Messenger since 2006, so it's about time for me to move on. :p I have no interest in being employed by YS, or volunteering while others are being paid.

Before I leave I'll at least upgrade (or offer to help upgrade) to a modern forum software. "wdzbb" lacks decent administration tools, and it's completely unsupported, so I'd hate to leave it in someone else's hands.