Shoutbox

Control through email - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Control through email (/showthread.php?tid=94673)

Control through email by ProtoZoa on 05-28-2010 at 04:59 AM

I am looking for a way to send commands to Messenger Plus while away from home.

I was wondering if there was a way to capture emails that come into my hotmail account and to be able to grab the information from the email. Say the script looks through my new emails, and then looks at the message for a command if the email has a string as the Subject.

Is there a way to do this? Should I look for a better way to do this? Thanks in advance!

RE: Control through email by Chris4 on 05-28-2010 at 06:02 AM

Firstly, scripts can't "look through emails".

Secondly, what do you want the commands in the emails to do? Maybe My Remote Control would be of use?

RE: Control through email by ProtoZoa on 05-28-2010 at 07:56 AM

Basically I have Messenger installed on my home computer and running all day. While at work, I can't install Messenger, but would like to be able to send commands to it. An example would be to send an email to my home computer with a command included. Then, the script takes the command, and emails me back the result to my work email.

I need a way to get the command from work to home. Email is probably not the best way to do it, so I'm wondering if anybody has another suggestion.

When you receive a new email, messenger does a pop up saying you got new mail, and who it is from. Is there a way to read this information? I could possibly make that the trigger, but I don't want just any email triggering it.

RE: Control through email by djdannyp on 05-28-2010 at 08:20 AM

Which commands would you like to send?

If you want access to your home computer without having to install anything, perhaps consider LogMeIn.  The only installation takes place on your home computer which you can then securely access via a website while you're at work, to do anything, not just Messenger Plus! Live things

RE: Control through email by ProtoZoa on 05-28-2010 at 08:28 AM

So, an example command would be something like:
!status friendEmail@hotmail.com

and the script would return it by email with something like:
friendEmail@hotmail.com is currently Busy

But, I think an easier way would be to just have the script have an option to send out status updates.  There is a command that gets called when a friend changes their status right? I could just have that send out the email with their new status.

RE: Control through email by djdannyp on 05-28-2010 at 10:38 AM

You just want to find out the statuses of your contacts?

Sign into a webmessenger and you will then be able to see their statuses, Messenger Plus! Live doesn't need to be involved at all.

Or as I suggested above, try using LogMeIn instead and that will let you see and control your computer at home as if you were sat infront of it