Shoutbox

Checking If Messages sent? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Checking If Messages sent? (/showthread.php?tid=94697)

Checking If Messages sent? by Acey on 06-01-2010 at 06:54 PM

Is there any way ( namely script out there that I don't know of) that can tell me when a message i send to someone doesn't reach them? I'm having a lot of trouble with some of my messages not getting to people and not only that but it does not notify me when that happens which leads to much confusion. ( A possible fix for this problem all together would be welcomed too ) I appreciate the help.

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by matty on 06-01-2010 at 07:04 PM

Nope not possible.

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Acey on 06-01-2010 at 08:27 PM

Any solution to the problem then? possibly router related?

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Chrissy on 06-01-2010 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Nope not possible.
Yes it is.

If both users have a script there is a way to confirm a message has been received.

I don't know how you do it, but it's certainly possible.
RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Spunky on 06-01-2010 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
Originally posted by matty
Nope not possible.
Yes it is.

If both users have a script there is a way to confirm a message has been received.

I don't know how you do it, but it's certainly possible.

No it isn't

To be more specific, WLM already does this by sending an ACK message when a message is received. No ACK is essentially a NAK which means they haven't got the message yet.

That's how you get the "This message could not be delivered..." messages
RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Chrissy on 06-01-2010 at 10:01 PM

It is.

All the script needs to do is get the message and send it back to the client it got it from. If it doesn't do this, then it wasn't received.

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Spunky on 06-02-2010 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
All the script needs to do is get the message and send it back to the client it got it from. If it doesn't do this, then it wasn't received.

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
To be more specific, WLM already does this by sending an ACK message when a message is received. No ACK is essentially a NAK which means they haven't got the message yet

What was unclear in that message? This is how WLM already does it. It's just not the most fool proof way of doing it obviously as there are problems knowing when a message is not received.

EDIT: Quick Quote system screwed up again ^o)
RE: Checking If Messages sent? by matty on 06-02-2010 at 12:42 PM

You would need to track each 3 way handshake that occurs with each message to know which message was undeliverable... and we all know that the only way to do this is through Xniff and it isn't the most reliable. So how do you propose this be accomplished then?

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Acey on 06-02-2010 at 08:26 PM

Right the problem is that the program does NOT give me the "message did not make it to w.e" message yet my message doesn't get to people. I'm trying to find a solution either through scripts or my guess is it has something to do with my router, I already have to setup scripted "ping" events just so my mIRC doesn't time out. I believe this relates to this problem as well.

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by foaly on 06-03-2010 at 12:48 AM

well you could just make a script upload all the messages a contact receives from you to a webserver... but it isn't very elegant...

RE: Checking If Messages sent? by Mizery_Made on 06-10-2010 at 10:37 PM

I've had this issue for a while (some of my messages not going through to a contact, with no "Undeliverable" message provided, and it's an issue in reverse as well.) If I recall, I believe I read somewhere where this was being worked on in the new version of WLM they're doing. Could be mistaken though. Hopefully they improve this and we get the fixed version sometime in the near future.