Shoutbox

Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? (/showthread.php?tid=94754)

Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by freelancepete on 06-10-2010 at 05:06 AM

I've had enough of Windows Live Messenger.
Need a way to get back to my old MSN Messenger.
Thanks.

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by djdannyp on 06-10-2010 at 06:01 AM

On Windows XP you can still use "Windows Messenger" I believe, which is a built-in, simplified version of Messenger.

None of the "MSN Messenger" clients will work anymore, the only working version is Windows Live Messenger 2009.

If you don't like the current version then a beta of Windows Live Messenger 2011 should be on the way in the next few weeks.

If you don't like the look of the current WLM then perhaps consider using a Messenger Plus! Live skin to change the look of it?

Or failing that, try an alternative client like Pidgin, Adium or Trillian

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by freelancepete on 06-10-2010 at 06:11 AM

Structural changes negated the option of leaving existing MSN
versions running, or this is about market domination?

Plus doesn't include a skin similar to the old MSN perchance?

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by djdannyp on 06-10-2010 at 06:25 AM

It's for security reasons and as a result of upgrades to the Messenger protocols.

Plus! doesn't include any skins, but there is a Skins Database where you can search for any skins that might fit your bill

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by freelancepete on 06-10-2010 at 07:20 AM

Pidgin does seem like a clean interface from what I can see on
the site. Guess I will install it and have a look at least.
Thank you.

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by Chris4 on 06-10-2010 at 08:43 AM

You should use Messenger Live Toolbox to make WLM more clean. :)

Alternatively, MSN Messenger 7.0 is still available to download for WinXP (uninstall current version first).

RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by Mike on 06-10-2010 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
None of the "MSN Messenger" clients will work anymore, the only working version is Windows Live Messenger 2009.
Actually, MSN Messenger 7.5 still works on Windows 2000 (speaking from school computers' experience :().

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Alternatively, MSN Messenger 7.0 is still available to download for WinXP (uninstall current version first).
You may need to set compatibility to Windows 2000 for this to work though. Also, version 7.0 will probably not work, but version 7.5 should.
RE: Is there an MSN Messenger Version that still works? by CookieRevised on 06-10-2010 at 10:12 PM

Version 7.0.0820 is the only official "MSN Messenger" version which you could still use. And you should not set any compatibility mode. In fact, enabling it might result in errors on some machines.

MSN Messenger 7.5 and Windows Live Messenger 8.0 to 8.5 have officially been dropped because of security issues (buffer overuns).