Shoutbox

Has this contact deleted me? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Has this contact deleted me? (/showthread.php?tid=94833)

Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 08:47 PM

Hi,

I had this contact blocked and deleted, but they always showed up on my block list.

Anyways, so I unblocked them by moving them to my allow list, and I also clicked the "view who has you on their contact list" button, and it says they have  added me.

So anyways, I check again today, and now this contact is in neither my block nor allow list. However, its still showing up that I'm in their list.

So, I was wondering how a contact can drop off my allow list? Does that mean they deleted me? Also...does that view who has you in their list button even work? I know for a fact I'm in my friends list, yet they aren't listed......

So I'm thinking maybe this contact saw I unblocked them and then deleted me....and also that the info provided by that view button is incorrect / outdated??

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chrissy on 06-20-2010 at 09:02 PM

Currently this is not working, Please Read: Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ)

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 09:18 PM

Hi,

Okay so that button isn't working. BUt it doesn't explain how somebody can drop off my allow list without me deleting them...does it? Or does it? lol

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chrissy on 06-20-2010 at 09:22 PM

It will be removed from your allow list if it's on your block list :zippy:

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chris4 on 06-20-2010 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rocketgirl20
now this contact is in neither my block nor allow list
I don't think that's possible. Every contact you've ever spoken to will be in one or the other.

quote:
how a contact can drop off my allow list? Does that mean they deleted me?
No. The contact doesn't have any affect whether they're in your allow or block list, that's for you to decide if they're blocked or unblocked.
RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 09:23 PM

No Chrissy!!! THe point is, this person WAS on my allow list...then mysteriously, they are no longer on either my allow or block list...they've just disappeared from ALL my lists.

How can that happen without me deleting them??

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by djdannyp on 06-20-2010 at 09:24 PM

As long as they can talk to you and you can talk to them, it's kinda irrelevant.

As stated above the "Has you?" information is not necessarily correct, the only real way is if they can start a conversation with you.

They shouldn't just disappear from your allow list without you blocking them or anything......but as you had them blocked it's possible if you signed onto another computer it would still see them as blocked and remove them from the allow list or anything like that

Edit: is it perhaps that they're showing up as their display name instead of e-mail address, or vice-versa.  I've noticed in my lists that it can be random as to how a person appears in the lists.

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 09:26 PM

yes this happened when I signed onto another computer. I don't know if they can talk to me now or not...I can't talk to them, because they arent in my contact, block or allow list anymore.

So....I just don't know how to explain that. Would that happen if they deleted me....like if someone deleted me, would they be removed from my ALLOW list?

oh sorry i just read that other post....well that's WEIRD then, that a contact can disappear from both my ALLOW and BLOCK lists....how strange!!

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by djdannyp on 06-20-2010 at 09:28 PM

No, if someone deleted you then you wouldn't be removed from YOUR allow list, only from theirs.

The best thing is to just re-add them to your contact list....this should then put them back into your allow list and allow you to talk to them

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 09:30 PM

danny...no they're just completely gone now from both lists....I just don't know how that could have happened. I wanted to keep them on allow so they cud msg me in the future if they wanted...but now I guess there's no chance of that ever since they've gone from both lists :o((

If I readd them it'll probably send them a notification...oh well I guess maybe it was some kind of weird divine intervention and I was destined never to talk to this person again :(

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chris4 on 06-20-2010 at 09:37 PM

They're not gone from both lists. They are on one list or the other, you need to check closer. Like djdannyp said, they may be listed as their email address OR their display name.

Just add them to your contacts list again, they won't receive a notification if you're already on their list. Then you can unblock them so they're on your allow list, then delete them, thus keeping them on your allow list but not on your contacts list.

Or take the sensible options of either just keeping them on your contacts list if you think you're going to want to talk to them OR block and delete them if you don't, I'm sure they will find a way to contact you if they really need to. Your choice.

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-20-2010 at 09:45 PM

I've checked both lists like over and over. They aren't on either list I swear....I know it's totally illogical, that's why I thought maybe they had deleted me.

I would readd them but since that "view who has u on their list" button isn't working...I have no way of knowing if it'd send them a notification, so I don't want to risk it :(

But Chris4 that's another good point...how do I know whether or not they are blocked and can see me online, if they aren't showing on either list??

I know they are definitely not blocked...because when I go to view who has you on their list...their name is listed, without the (blocked) bit...so they're not blocked...but since they are on neither the allow nor block list....im not sure if they can infact see me online or not!!

Maybe they deleted their email account...could that be a possible reason why they aren't showing on either list now?

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chris4 on 06-20-2010 at 10:11 PM

WARNING: Posting more than once in a row is against the RULES - please use the EDIT button.

quote:
how do I know whether or not they are blocked and can see me online, if they aren't showing on either list??
Re-add them.

quote:
I know they are definitely not blocked...because when I go to view who has you on their list...their name is listed
As mentioned before - The "Who has you on their list" does NOT work.
RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Chrissy on 06-20-2010 at 10:22 PM

Wait a minute.

You log into ComputerA and downloads your contacts list so it's cashed. In that list you have 3 contacts.

contact1
contact2
contact 3

You then log into ComputerB and load your contacts so they are cached. There is now 3 contacts on B as well.

contact1
contact2
contact 3

Lets say on A you add contact 4 then delete it. Then you log into B. If you hadn't of deleted B it would of been downloaded and cached onto B, but since it was deleted, B detects no change in the list because no contacts more contacts were added or less removed.

Maybe this caused B not to update therefor looking like nothing happened?

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-23-2010 at 08:47 PM

So i Signed into messenger yesterday and it said that contact (who was no longer on allow) had ADDED me to his contact list and i just pressed next etc and now the contact is back on my contact list!!!

SO...question is...did he actually PHYSICALLY add me to his contact list ( I can't see why he would...out of the blue, for no reason)....OR, was this all the result of some weird server glitch that has now rectified itself?

Not going emo again I promise...I'm just interested y this would happen...never known msn to do weird stuff like that b4!!

P.s - if he had blocked me wud I have been able to readd him to my list??

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by djdannyp on 06-23-2010 at 08:52 PM

It's probably just a Messenger glitch, it's too much of a coincidence otherwise.

It's best not to worry about it and just to get on with things ;)

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by rocketgirl20 on 06-23-2010 at 09:07 PM

yeah ur so right!

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by Derwan on 08-02-2010 at 11:49 AM

Sorry to dig up an aging thread.

I believe WLM is heading towards the same setup as Facebook.  Have you noticed since installing the new Beta that when you add people, they're also added to your friends list in Spaces?

In Facebook, if you delete a friend, you delete the connection.  They no longer see you on their list.  I think this is where WLM is heading.

If this is the case, there will be no need for a reverse list.

RE: Has this contact deleted me? by CookieRevised on 08-02-2010 at 02:38 PM

Spaces doesn't have a friendlist directly. The list you can see there is the same contactlist as the one on your Windows Live Id profile.
And people being added to Messenger have always been added to this friendlist as well, since it is the same list, so this is nothing new at all. All the lists with contacts in all the different Windows Live Services have always shared the same data; they are the same list.

What might be new in Wave 4 is that added contacts are now also been set as 'public profile' friends by default though (didn't checked that yet).

But it is correct that Messenger is heading towards a 'social' model... That is the number one purpose and change in the new Wave 4. Aka: it's the whole point of Wave 4.

And it is this tight integration with other social networks, like Facebook, that the friends-model has been changed a bit (and will probably change more in the futur).