Shoutbox

Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? (/showthread.php?tid=94848)

Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Dempsey on 06-23-2010 at 09:13 AM

I managed to finally break my iPhone 2G when I was on holiday so am getting the new one now.

Have to wait until at least the end of July before I can order online/by phone though :-(

Is anyone else planning on getting one?

Especially coming from the 2G I should notice quite a speed increase!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Discrate on 06-23-2010 at 09:25 AM

quote:
Anyone else getting the iPhone 4?

I would if it wasn't 1,000 dollars.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Th3rmal on 06-23-2010 at 09:33 AM

I will be once my contract is over (early next year). And hopefully by then the price has dropped to something more affordable. Tbh tho I kinda like the old, rounder shape better; but im sure in time it will grow on me.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by segosa on 06-23-2010 at 10:12 AM

... no

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-23-2010 at 10:38 AM

I've thought about it as my contract's up in 2 weeks, but I only recently got the Nokia 5800 so I'm probably just gonna negotiate for a better contract deal....I've got an iPod Touch (although only 1st Gen so I can't get iOS4 :() and I don't really like the keypad on it, I wouldn't want to have to text on that (and I text a lot).

It's damn tempting though, looks so nice!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by andrey on 06-23-2010 at 11:06 AM

i don't see why anyone would still want to buy an iphone with android now being a worthy contender

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Mnjul on 06-23-2010 at 11:34 AM

Talking about android phones..

I happen to have been able to play with an iphone 3GS and an HTC Desire (dunno if it's available there in your countries, and/or with other names). In my opinion iphone still has a better and slicker interface. Buttons, although not-text-tagged, behave just as I expect them to - for android phones, this would not always be the case.

Also, per my own experience, developing new applications on iphones "feels" better - the development tools are more-or-less more complete. Eclipse? Just not as good. (This is even though I have prior programming experience in Java but not in Object C/Three-20 :P) Yeah I admit you need OSX to develop iphone applications... but I have a Mac, so it doesn't matter :p

Oh to answer the question: Yes. But not too soon :p (my current mobile is just a SE Z750i :p)
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-23-2010 at 11:41 AM

I'm buying one on PAYG and transferring my contract as soon as I half the money. :D.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chris4 on 06-23-2010 at 12:17 PM

There's no way iPhone is worth £499...

I'll stick with my £150 Nokia 5800.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chancer on 06-23-2010 at 01:36 PM

I'm planning to get one, but first I need to find the money on a trash can or somewhere else.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by matty on 06-23-2010 at 02:02 PM

I am really at a loss at the moment as to what I want to purchase. I currently have the HTC Touch Diamond running Windows Mobile 6.5 on a custom rom and I love it. But I really don't know. The iPhone4 is looking like it is going to be great (now that they finally have added multitasking) but Android seems to be the way majority of phones are going. I read somewhere that voice commands do not work yet properly on the android. Is this the case? Can you give commands over a bluetooth headset? Thanks!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by blessedguy on 06-23-2010 at 02:19 PM

I will when it's unlockable (or if the national stores sell it for less than USD1200), that screen has got me (and I'm already loving iOS4 in my iPod touch)  :P
Also, the new back seems to scratch less, which is a nice bonus.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Dempsey on 06-23-2010 at 02:51 PM

Yea I'm going to wait until there's a jailbreak for it, couldn't use my iPhone without it!  Had loads of tweaks and stuff installed from Cydia.

I've always liked the idea of Android, but I still haven't seen any actual hardware I like really and after using an iPhone for 2 years I have got so used to everything it does and the way it works it would be hard for me to get used to another phone!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-23-2010 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
There's no way iPhone is worth £499...

I'll stick with my £150 Nokia 5800.

Exactly...I have the same phone ;)

I phoned up Carphone Warehouse today as I'm due for an upgrade......only iPhone 4 deal they could do me that didn't involve paying extra for the handset was £60 a month (vs £2.90 a month for just upgrading my contract without a new handset and for a better allowance)

What with buying a house in December, I think I'm gonna go with the sensible option rather than the more-money-than-sense option ;)
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by NanaFreak on 06-23-2010 at 04:22 PM

just sold my iphone 3gs for a htc desire... best choice i have ever made [=

so no... apple will not be getting monies from me!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-23-2010 at 06:02 PM

the prices are a complete joke tbh (not just iphones, but most phones), how on earth can they justify £400/500 for a phone? then again with millions of morons willing to pay it, it's unlikely to change

edit:
just looked at iphone 3gs sim free - £500-600 what a joke

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by andrey on 06-24-2010 at 04:05 PM

rofl!

quote:
Originally posted by betanews
The rumors are true: iPhone 4 signal strength wavers when the device is held in the hand. [...] When the phone is flat down, I see four to five bars. When I hold the device in my left hand, the bars slowly go down until either there is one bar or "searching" appears on the screen. [...] By appearances, the act of holding the phone impares signal strength.
But do not fret, Apple-fans, "Otherwise, my initial reaction to iPhone 4 is favorable." (Y)

[Image: face-palm-jpg]
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Nagamasa on 06-24-2010 at 04:29 PM

Just way too expensive (all Apple products in general :P).

And still regretting over the LG Arena. I'll probably move over to Androids when this thing dies >.>

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 05:42 PM

No, because it sucks. Jobs telling iPhone 2G users to buy a new iPhone to get iOS4? Screw him, that alone makes me want to throw away my iPhone and buy a good Droid phone :(.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
No, because it sucks. Telling iPhone 2G users to buy a new iPhone to get iOS4? Screw him, that alone makes me want to throw away my iPhone and buy a good Droid phone :(.

Mm, that kinda annoys me about my 1st Gen iPod Touch....can't get iOS4 and now I've already had one app saying it won't install an updated version without the new OS :(

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
No, because it sucks. Telling iPhone 2G users to buy a new iPhone to get iOS4? Screw him, that alone makes me want to throw away my iPhone and buy a good Droid phone :(.

Mm, that kinda annoys me about my 1st Gen iPod Touch....can't get iOS4 and now I've already had one app saying it won't install an updated version without the new OS :(
I saw that some people are working on a custom 3.1.3 with iOS4 related features (for iPhone 2G at least), not sure if it'll allow bypassing of checks like that :p
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-24-2010 at 06:41 PM

Yeah, I did see about that......not too keen on Jailbreaking again though, did it once and it was alright for a laugh, but it slowed it down and drained the battery even more

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 07:21 PM

just seen that i can get the iphone 4 32gb for £570, think i'll be off to the shop in the morning

not

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-24-2010 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
just seen that i can get the iphone 4 32gb for £570, think i'll be off to the shop in the morning

not
Nobody's forcing you to buy it. It's for people that will use it and for people that need it.

Some people will pay that much because it's worth it and may get them more money back. (A)
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Nobody's forcing you to buy it. It's for people that will use it and for people that need it.

Some people will pay that much because it's worth it and may get them more money back. (A)
how on earth is it worth it?
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Dempsey on 06-24-2010 at 07:45 PM

quote:
No, because it sucks. Jobs telling iPhone 2G users to buy a new iPhone to get iOS4? Screw him, that alone makes me want to throw away my iPhone and buy a good Droid phone :(.
I don't really get why people moan that their 3 year old phone isn't having any new software updates, how many other phones are still having updates three years after their initial release?
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-24-2010 at 07:46 PM

quote:
quote:

If someone runs a business and the features of the iPhone will help make there business more efficient I would say it's pretty worth it.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 07:56 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

If someone runs a business and the features of the iPhone will help make there business more efficient I would say it's pretty worth it.
u can get the same features on £100-200 phones, they're a complete rip off! the problem is millions of morons/sheep will pay daft money.

i'd like to have one, however i have a brain so i'll stick with my phone & micro-SD card
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
I don't really get why people moan that their 3 year old phone isn't having any new software updates, how many other phones are still having updates three years after their initial release?
I'm not moaning, I got this phone for free. So when it breaks I'm going directly for a droid. The problem is there is no reason NOT to support it. As the people making the custom firmware, it's definitely possible and is definitely in demand. I find buying a new revision of a phone to get features that can be got via jailbreak to be useless.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 08:17 PM

quote:
The problem is there is no reason NOT to support it.
i'll give you 570 reason why its not supported

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 08:19 PM

quote:
quote:
I don't get the joke, nor do I care. I'm running iDroid on my iPhone more than the iPhone software.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 08:22 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't get the joke, nor do I care. I'm running iDroid on my iPhone more than the iPhone software.
why would apple waste time updating software for old phones, when most owners are thick n will buy the new model
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 08:28 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
why would apple waste time updating software for old phones, when most owners are thick n will buy the new model
I suppose, I'm trying to give this phone a chance. You saw that I got is as a gift from a reddit member, and it has a cracked screen. It works fine and the games are fun, but I would have no problem sacrificing all this for an android phone that could offer me more in the long run.

I was recently tricked into thinking I got an ipad as a gift. Now I would never buy it myself, but I wouldn't not use it just out of spite.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by M73A on 06-24-2010 at 09:14 PM

...when my 2g BREAKS/is unusable, ill buy the new one...

definitely not upgrading each time one comes out though! F*** THAT!!

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-24-2010 at 10:57 PM

To those complaining about price, it's only a few hundred pounds more than other normal phones and around the same price as other smart phones when bought on contract.

Personally though, I'm going to wait until my contract is up in 2012! Hopefully there'll be an iPhone 5 out by then that is 4G. I recently bought an iPhone 3GS and have never looked back. Hands down the best smart phone on the planet, better than any crapdroid device.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by prashker on 06-24-2010 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Personally though, I'm going to wait until my contract is up in 2012!
But the world will be over :zippy:
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-24-2010 at 11:31 PM

quote:
To those complaining about price, it's only a few hundred pounds more than other normal phones and around the same price as other smart phones when bought on contract.
and the justification for the "few hundred ponds"? an apple logo & shitty itunes ?

and you're having a laugh at "a few", more like £500 more

heck for half the money you can get: a phone, a pda, an mp3 player, and a proper camera
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chris4 on 06-24-2010 at 11:33 PM

quote:
it's only a few hundred pounds more than other normal phones
Ohh, only. :rolleyes:
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-25-2010 at 06:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
it's only a few hundred pounds more than other normal phones
Ohh, only. :rolleyes:
quote:
quote:
and the justification for the "few hundred ponds"? an apple logo & shitty itunes ?

and you're having a laugh at "a few", more like £500 more

heck for half the money you can get: a phone, a pda, an mp3 player, and a proper camera

There's no justifying it until you own or use an iPhone. People hate iPhones until they use them, it's the same with any Apple product. When you receive it, you understand why it costs so much :). On a decent contrast with a LOT of minutes that only costs me a bit more than my old when where I had 1/3 of the minutes and no internet (iPhone = unlimited internet & texts), I only paid a little for the iPhone and it was perfect. Exactly the same as what you'd get if you paid for it.

I've used Android devices, old and new, I've used blackberries, windows mobiles and other smartphones and nothing can compare to iOS4 and the wide array of apps that are available.

It's the world's most successful mobile device for a reason.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Hank on 06-25-2010 at 07:10 AM

i'll get omne but only if wacky drives the get away car after i steal it :refuck:

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-25-2010 at 10:11 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

Personally I like a phone that you don't have to hold in a special way to get it to work :P

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-25-2010 at 01:14 PM

Out of 59 o2 stores in Scotland only 1 has stock at the moment.

Why is it every release of an apple product they have very LIMITED stock?

I'm sure it's a marketing technique. (I)

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-25-2010 at 01:35 PM

Because it's Apple and they have big huge public releases and built up hype that loads and loads of people queue up on the night of release and buy all of them straight away.....this never happens with anything else (except Harry Potter books, but same thing goes there :P)

You'd never have every shop selling out of a new Nokia straight away.....because people just go and buy them normally at a normal rate, rather than rushing out to instantly get the latest offering from the almighty Apple :P

And no, I'm not an Apple hater, I've got an iPod touch,  and MacBook Pro and owned 3 other iPods

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by andrey on 06-25-2010 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Because it's Apple and they have big huge public releases and built up hype that loads and loads of people queue up on the night of release and buy all of them straight away.....this never happens with anything else (except Harry Potter books, but same thing goes there :P)

You'd never have every shop selling out of a new Nokia straight away.....because people just go and buy them normally at a normal rate, rather than rushing out to instantly get the latest offering from the almighty Apple :P
Which, as we can see atm, is pretty retarded.
Those queuing up at the store the night before to buy a new Apple product make me think ill of all the other regular, rationally thinking Apple users who aren't driven by their inferiority complex into buying 1000USD products without ever holding them/testing them beforehand [*] (like everyone does/should do with other tech products).
Well, maybe this iPhone antenna flaw will bring a bit of sanity back to the discussion, since when I buy a Microsoft product, I'm pleasantly surprised if it doesn't have issues, isn't as fugly as I expected, and works. When you buy an Apple product, the slightest flaw is a huge issue, due to their way of marketing stuff mainly by building up ridiculous hype.

(Harry Potter is an exception because there's not much that can go wrong with a book, and it's not 1000USD :p)

[*] edit: btw, don't get me wrong, same applies to people who buy tech stuff from other companies on release day :tongue:
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-25-2010 at 06:42 PM

quote:
There's no justifying it until you own or use an iPhone. People hate iPhones until they use them, it's the same with any Apple product. When you receive it, you understand why it costs so much :). On a decent contrast with a LOT of minutes that only costs me a bit more than my old when where I had 1/3 of the minutes and no internet (iPhone = unlimited internet & texts), I only paid a little for the iPhone and it was perfect. Exactly the same as what you'd get if you paid for it.

I've used Android devices, old and new, I've used blackberries, windows mobiles and other smartphones and nothing can compare to iOS4 and the wide array of apps that are available.

It's the world's most successful mobile device for a reason.
aka you're a sheep and buy what you're told is cool

i think twice about spending £600 on a laptop, let alone on something that does much less, at a slower speed and is much more likely to break.

after all what does it really do?
make/receive calls - £10 phones do this
touch screen - £30 have this
internet/emails/doc editing/etc - £100 phones do this just as well if not better
plays music - you can get mp3 players for a couple quid, for a  little more and you can easily beat the storage capacity.
camera - a £20 camera takes better photos
other features/app - all basically pointless novelty crap

£100 phone + SD card(s) + £450 change/spare easily beats the iphone for anyone with a brain

p.s.
best hope u don't drop it. lol
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-25-2010 at 09:49 PM

quote:
aka you're a sheep and buy what you're told is cool

i think twice about spending £600 on a laptop, let alone on something that does much less, at a slower speed and is much more likely to break.

after all what does it really do?
make/receive calls - £10 phones do this
touch screen - £30 have this
internet/emails/doc editing/etc - £100 phones do this just as well if not better
plays music - you can get mp3 players for a couple quid, for a  little more and you can easily beat the storage capacity.
camera - a £20 camera takes better photos
other features/app - all basically pointless novelty crap

£100 phone + SD card(s) + £450 change/spare easily beats the iphone for anyone with a brain

p.s.
best hope u don't drop it. lol

No, I buy what I need and will utilise. This is the reason why I don't have an iPad or an iPhone 4. I have an iMac because of great colour profiling and for personal preferences and I have an iPhone because of it's great apps that I use every single day - something I NEVER did on any of my other phones. It allows me to be more productive and also provides me with a lot of fun - never before have I had such a wide array of fantastic applications on something so small. You can bring up the Android and Windows Mobile argument, but for the price of the apps and for the selection there is nothing that one could even compare to the iPhone.

Make/receive calls: Sure, a £10 phone does this, but would a £10 phone allow you to switch automatically to a video chat over WiFi immediately? Would it allow you to put the individual on speaker phone, then allow you to switch tasks to perhaps read out emails and even download new ones? No. Even phones that are expensive don't do this well, the iPhone does it incredible well.
Touch screen: Sorry buddy, but even the expensive HTC and Motorola handsets don't have touch screens that are as responsive as the iPhone/iPod touch screens.
Internet/Emails/Doc Editing: As above, the iPhone executes this better than any other device. Sure, the HTC phones do use browsers with rendering engines like webkit but Mobile Safari consistently wins the battles over the best mobile browser.
Plays music: I don't use my iPhone as an iPod... That's what my iPod is for. I do, however, have a Spotify Premium account so I can download and listen to any song that I want whilst on the go, as well as download them to my handset (which is optional).
Camera: Sure, the camera isn't great on the 3G(S) but the camera on the 4G (there's an article on Mashable showcasing the iPhone 4G photo ability, it came out on top for the best camera out of all the latest phones. Yu can't compare it to the iPhone's camera to a proper camera anyway, you're not paying all this money for the sake of a camera. It's ease-of-use, once again.
Other features/apps: Haha, I can't even believe this comment. On my phone at the moment I have my contact list that is synced with my work account, home account and my Google account. A camera that takes good photos but geotags them so when I stick it in my iMac, I get a cool map showing me pictures from where I've been. YouTube (which is a novelty), a calendar which updates my online calendars, a clock (uber useful if you have a life), Evernote for article ideas, site ideas etc (once again, synced online), ReadItLater & Reeder to keep up to date with articles online, Facebook & Twitter for the whole social media thing, Dropbox so I can access all of the files in my little cloud EASILY... On top of this just to name a few I have Ego (Analytics for SEO purposes), Monkey (FTP & File Editor), Wikipanion, a guitar tuner and a load of games. Yeah, pointless. These apps provide me with entertainment when I'm bored and also allow me to work on the go (more money, to pay for my [sorry to swear] fucking awesome iPhone).

Throughout your post you are consistently comparing the phone to different pieces of hardware. Get an MP3 player, a £10 phone and a £20 camera then, try and hold all that in one pocket and access it all easily only having to press a few buttons ;-).

Seriously, the iPhone is the most cost-effective smartphone on the market.

PS: For £69 I have a 2 year warranty, so if there are any hardware/software failures I get it fixed for free ;-). Try and find a company with an extended warranty that is much cheaper than that. Also, for £7 a month I have gadget insurance... So if I drop it, I get another phone. You try and find cheaper insurance, and don't say "I just get a cheap phone" because that's bullcrap.

I'm not just an Apple fan boy, I think out and try out any products before I buy them. I was seriously considering buying an Android device and wasn't keen on the iPhone until I checked out all of my possibilities. For example, I had some money set aside to buy an iPad, so I went into the store on the day of release and spent a good twenty minutes trying out the device (which was awesome), but I couldn't justify it just yet so I didn't buy it, even though the temptation is there. As with all products there are always errors in the beginning, it's an unfortunate situation because there may be 100 people testing a product and not find an error because they built it or are close to the team who built it...  Then they roll it out to xmillion people and hope they haven't missed anything. The probably of finding an error goes up a MASSIVE amount (I'm sure there's some nerdy feller on this site who can work out the maths), so people do find errors.

The same with all of the other Apple products I own. All I can say is, the Apple products I own are far more robust, easy-to-use and fault-free than any other pieces of hardware I have ever had.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by foaly on 06-25-2010 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Make/receive calls: Sure, a £10 phone does this, but would a £10 phone allow you to switch automatically to a video chat over WiFi immediately? Would it allow you to put the individual on speaker phone, then allow you to switch tasks to perhaps read out emails and even download new ones? No. Even phones that are expensive don't do this well, the iPhone does it incredible well.
Touch screen: Sorry buddy, but even the expensive HTC and Motorola handsets don't have touch screens that are as responsive as the iPhone/iPod touch screens.
Internet/Emails/Doc Editing: As above, the iPhone executes this better than any other device. Sure, the HTC phones do use browsers with rendering engines like webkit but Mobile Safari consistently wins the battles over the best mobile browser.
My xperia x1 can do anything while calling someone...
My touch screen is actually a touch screen and out performs the iPhone's touch so hard it isn't even funny...
My mobile browser supports flash (although not fluently and skyfire isn't WM6.1/6.5 native...)

quote:
Seriously, the iPhone is the most cost-effective smartphone on the market.
I love how the graph in that link isn't even trying to say that the iPhone is the best from those 3... they just made it yellow...
The iPhone debuts:
video editing (have it on my x1)
video chat (have it on my x1)
retina display (yes I can see pixels if I put my nose on the screen...)
multitasking (have it on my x1)

So things it debuts already work on my 2 year old phone...

The only thing the iPhone has on the androids in that link is it's resolution...

in short the iPhone is an overpriced novelty toy, with really really impressive marketing...
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-25-2010 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Get an MP3 player, a £10 phone and a £20 camera then, try and hold all that in one pocket and access it all easily only having to press a few buttons
it fits into one pocket easily, and as there are hardly any times when i'm listening to music, whilst on the phone & trying to take a picture, it's remarkably simple, if anything is easier then your 'few clicks'. simply pick the device i need and away you go.

sidenote:
why the fuck would anyone want 3 email accounts and then have the same contacts in them all. Just use the 1 account

all apple products are over price & over hyped. yes some of them have their uses & some nice features/tricks, but none of them are worth anywhere near the silly money they want.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-25-2010 at 10:36 PM

quote:
all apple products are over price & over hyped. yes some of them have their uses & some nice features/tricks, but none of them are worth anywhere near the silly money they want.

Agreed.  They are good pieces of hardware.....they are more stable than most other things.  But there's WAY too much hype over any of their products being released.....and they are massively overpriced.  I could understand them being a fraction more.......but when they're 3-4 (or more) times as much.....it's not justified

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-25-2010 at 10:48 PM

quote:
why the fuck would anyone want 3 email accounts and then have the same contacts in them all. Just use the 1 account

You don't have all the same contacts, it's just an address book.

I have many email accounts for separate businesses that I run, for my personal email and for my work email == all necessary ;-)

quote:
Agreed.  They are good pieces of hardware.....they are more stable than most other things.  But there's WAY too much hype over any of their products being released.....and they are massively overpriced.  I could understand them being a fraction more.......but when they're 3-4 (or more) times as much.....it's not justified

When you work out the price for the operating system and the high quality products, it's clear that they're well priced.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by toddy on 06-25-2010 at 10:54 PM

quote:

I have many email accounts for separate businesses that I run, for my personal email and for my work email == all necessary
i can see the point of having different email addresses, but whats the point in having your mates contact details in your work account, or your work contacts in your personal account etc

aka pointless crap
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-25-2010 at 11:03 PM

quote:
quote:

When you work out the price for the operating system and the high quality products, it's clear that they're well priced.

Anyone looking sensibly and without bias would agree that they're over-priced.  It is a better quality operating system (in some senses) and a higher quality hardware build.......but it's not THAT much better that it warrants being that much more expensive......it's too much
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by kao on 06-25-2010 at 11:59 PM

Android > 'iOS'

I had an iPhone for almost 2 years, two weeks with Android 2.1 and I hate the iPhone OS.

2.2 is out soon too :)

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-26-2010 at 07:24 AM

quote:
quote:

I have many email accounts for separate businesses that I run, for my personal email and for my work email == all necessary
i can see the point of having different email addresses, but whats the point in having your mates contact details in your work account, or your work contacts in your personal account etc

aka pointless crap

You can categorise contacts easily, whether it's through the phone or through Address Book on Mac.

quote:
Anyone looking sensibly and without bias would agree that they're over-priced.  It is a better quality operating system (in some senses) and a higher quality hardware build.......but it's not THAT much better that it warrants being that much more expensive......it's too much

You have to need it, use it and own it to understand how more better the build quality of Macs is.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by djdannyp on 06-26-2010 at 10:02 AM

quote:
quote:

You have to need it, use it and own it to understand how more better the build quality of Macs is.

Don't try to patronise me (or at least if you're going to, get your grammar right).  I do need, use and own a MacBook Pro and an iPod Touch (the 3rd iPod I've owned) and I absolutely love them, I would never want to go back to anything other than an iPod...and after my experience with a MacBook I'd be loathe to never have a Mac available to me.  I'm not denying that the build quality of Macs is a lot better, I'm saying that they are overpriced, it's not so much an opinion as a matter of fact.  The more you blindly argue it the more you just seem like another deluded Apple fan boy....nothing is perfect and failing to admit that doesn't help your cause
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by user27089 on 06-26-2010 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Don't try to patronise me (or at least if you're going to, get your grammar right).  I do need, use and own a MacBook Pro and an iPod Touch (the 3rd iPod I've owned) and I absolutely love them, I would never want to go back to anything other than an iPod...and after my experience with a MacBook I'd be loathe to never have a Mac available to me.  I'm not denying that the build quality of Macs is a lot better, I'm saying that they are overpriced, it's not so much an opinion as a matter of fact.  The more you blindly argue it the more you just seem like another deluded Apple fan boy....nothing is perfect and failing to admit that doesn't help your cause

I wasn't trying to patronise you and sorry that it came across that way. I know that "more better" is wrong, it's just something a colleague and I both say to one another at work and it's slowly becoming habit.

The problem is that when people compare prices to PCs, they ignore the fact about the parts. Yes they are more expensive than PCs but that's because the PCs that people buy are shoddy. If you want a decent Windows laptop you have to pay upwards of £500, not much cheaper than Mac counterparts.

The Apple argument is always the same. There's a reason why they're the World's leading technology company now, and that's the last thing I'm saying about it.

Once again, sorry that I came across as patronising - that's the last thing I want to do.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-26-2010 at 12:05 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well this year all the companies are selling PAYG versions relatively at the same price range.
That's at least 4 companies here in the UK. Kinda shows you there not over priced because if they were some companies could go lower and get more sales.

They can't do that if there not making anything off them :P
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Menthix on 06-26-2010 at 12:10 PM

quote:
That's at least 4 companies here in the UK. Kinda shows you there not over priced because if they were some companies could go lower and get more sales.
Those companies don't set the price though, Apple does. True, the companies set a final price in the end, but they have to buy them from Apple first. The only thing the final retailer can do is play around with their own margin, which is often very small, hence why they rather sell you the phone bundled a contract so they can get profit over an extended period of time. Or prepaid as you mentioned, still brings in new customers to the provider.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by vaccination on 06-26-2010 at 12:29 PM

[Image: iHandle.jpg]

---

quote:
If you want a decent Windows laptop you have to pay upwards of £500, not much cheaper than Mac counterparts.
The cheapest MacBook I can buy with 0 added features and the lowest specs is £850. £350 difference, that's not "not much cheaper", it's a lot cheaper.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by kao on 06-26-2010 at 03:24 PM

i love the mac vs pc wars, they're so stupidly pointless, it's fun to read.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chris4 on 06-26-2010 at 03:55 PM

[Image: Jobbs_n_Gates.jpg]

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Adeptus on 06-26-2010 at 05:53 PM

quote:
They are not overpriced for the US market, where the only way people buy phones is with heavily subsidized 1-2 year contracts.  32GB iPhone 4 is $299 and if you were ok with a 3GS, those are now $99.

Of course, I understand the cost is built into the contracts and spread out over time, but the point is most people look at the above and think "Hey, that's cheap, I can afford it" -- that's why the iPhone isn't too expensive.

As for the European markets, Apple has a long history of screwing you and not caring.  :p  At least according to my Mac-using friends who are constantly looking to get things shipped from the US.  Apparently, it makes sense even when purchased at the regular US pricing and after the high shipping costs.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Menthix on 06-27-2010 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
if you were ok with a 3GS, those are now $99
Still incredible high prices when you compare them to what you end up paying per month btw. Haven't they ever heard of free phones in the US?
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Hank on 06-27-2010 at 12:41 AM

i know the IPhone is expensive in Australia, i think the cheapest plan is $60 a month which i cannot afford that on my income. http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/iphone/pricing.html

http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal...xclude=-1|-1|-1|-1

the IPhone 4 should be in Aussie stores next week. hate to see the Price of those though, but might bring down prices of the IPhone3

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Adeptus on 06-27-2010 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Still incredible high prices when you compare them to what you end up paying per month btw. Haven't they ever heard of free phones in the US?
Sure, you can get a variety of phones free with a contract...  Most of that selection is fairly basic, but I just looked at what my carrier (T-Mobile USA) offers and there's even one Windows Mobile phone and a couple other borderline smartphone things.
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by Chrissy on 06-27-2010 at 09:30 AM

Really all these complaints on how shit the features are and parts of the phone would be non existent if someone actually got the phone or it was cheaper.

When the iPhones were first released all I did was despise anything apple and hated the phones. When I got the 3G as a gift it was the best phone in the world.

RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by -dt- on 06-27-2010 at 11:37 AM

just a note for people who keep saying IOS4 supports multitasking, its not full multitasking, its a limited version where the app devs have to code support in, and it only supports certain events in the background, unlike android which allows _anything_.

this is what the iPhone supports
    Background audio
    Voice over IP
    Background location
    Push notifications
    Local notifications
    Task finishing
    Fast app switching

Honestly, I've had a HTC desire for a while now (and a HTC dream before that), and every iPhone user i let play with it is like "Wow". It's screen is FANTASTIC, AMOLED > TFT screens, AMOLED screens are so crisp and colouful compared to every mobile TFT screen I've seen.

quote:
I've never seen this to be the case.

quote:
Other features/apps: Haha, I can't even believe this comment. On my phone at the moment I have my contact list that is synced with my work account, home account and my Google account. A camera that takes good photos but geotags them so when I stick it in my iMac, I get a cool map showing me pictures from where I've been. YouTube (which is a novelty), a calendar which updates my online calendars, a clock (uber useful if you have a life), Evernote for article ideas, site ideas etc (once again, synced online), ReadItLater & Reeder to keep up to date with articles online, Facebook & Twitter for the whole social media thing, Dropbox so I can access all of the files in my little cloud EASILY... On top of this just to name a few I have Ego (Analytics for SEO purposes), Monkey (FTP & File Editor), Wikipanion, a guitar tuner and a load of games. Yeah, pointless. These apps provide me with entertainment when I'm bored and also allow me to work on the go (more money, to pay for my [sorry to swear] fucking awesome iPhone).
I have all of that on my android phone. though with the power of true multitasking, for example I can use ssh, and then swap to the web browser, find what I'm looking for and copy and paste it back into the ssh app without loosing the connection, an iPhone cant do that.

android has flash 10.1 now :), which runs quite fast and nice : >, and before you say "flash isn't around anymore", my phone company uses it for quite a few of their websites, which are only accessible through flash (visiting them on the iphone gives a nice "please use a desktop computer to view this", where on android 2.2 it just works :>)

android can do everything an iPhone can and more, it's also cheaper to develop for ($99 a year for iphone vs $25 once off for android), the apple app market place has such draconian polices (http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/iphone-devel...ense-agreement-all

and finally, android offers the user a choice, don't like touchscreen only phones? get a Motorola milestone (droid), or one of the many android phones with keyboards, want a front facing camera, get a HTC evo or Samsung Galaxy S?, want a entry level android phone? get a HTC legend....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_devices
RE: Anyone else getting the iPhone 4? by blessedguy on 06-27-2010 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
it only supports certain events in the background, unlike android which allows _anything_.
It is enough to let me keep a bunch of apps frozen without wasting battery or cpu cycles that didn't need to be used.

[Also, for fast app switching, developers only have to recompile the app iirc]

And about "device choice": it is nice, but how many of them support the most recent android updates? And why don't they get the updates all together, but one on one, and that's IF the carrier allows it to be updated. Not to count the version mess Google makes, basicaly every release seems to be major.

Androids have it's good points, but their good points still don't convince me (it is more than enough for a lot of people; just as only the crazy appstore rules are enough for people to hate the iPhone) to leave my dear closed, controlled, and trouble-free environment.

Again, about Apple's pseudo-multitask: fast app switching is crazy fast.