Shoutbox

Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird (/showthread.php?tid=94882)

Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by nimicitor on 06-28-2010 at 07:15 PM

Looking to change from a buggy but decent Sunbird and mediocre Thunderbird to something that is easier to use and has calender + email features in one program.
I have tried the Lightning extension and found it to be very slow and not the easiest to use.
Has anyone had any positive experiences with Outlook 2010 or Spicebird?

Thank you

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by djdannyp on 06-28-2010 at 07:26 PM

I've always been a fan of Outlook.  2010 is a particular improvement as it now uses the same 'ribbon' interface as the whole Office suite (something that was noticeably lacking in 2007).

It has a very nice 'conversation' view to see the history of e-mails.

The only fault for me is that I only use IMAP accounts and they don't support e-mail notification by default.  You have to manually add sounds/desktop alerts via 'rules'.....and it won't change the icon on the taskbar as it should.  The notification envelope is gone and instead it should change the icon of the program on the taskbar, but this doesn't happen in IMAP

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by Spunky on 06-28-2010 at 09:18 PM

Use 2010 at home and 2007 at work (both for my work exchange account). 2010 is a lot better. Thunderbird does have some nice features, but Outlook feels more complete

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by MeEtc on 06-29-2010 at 02:35 AM

I use outlook at home, mostly because I access an exchange server for mail. I don't use anything in it other than the mail component. For the imap accounts, I have new mail audio alerts easily enough but I haven't figured a way to show a toast either. If you like the ribbon interface from office 07, this is very similar. I upgraded from office 200r before, and was confused for a while trying to find stuff. I personally prefer the classic look, but that's just me.

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by djdannyp on 06-29-2010 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
For the imap accounts, I have new mail audio alerts easily enough but I haven't figured a way to show a toast either.

Do it exactly the same way, via 'Rules' and choose the bottom option, "Display a Desktop Alert"

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by Dempsey on 06-29-2010 at 07:46 AM

I use Mail Alert at work which allows you to setup rules of when to show alerts, for which folders etc.

Not sure how different it is to the built in alerts.

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by albert on 06-30-2010 at 02:19 AM

I used to use Outlook for years, until I started using Google Calendar. Very simple, and contains all the options I have, not to mention I can access it anywhere I have the web (mostly use it to sync on my android x10).

Give it a try. :)

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by CookieRevised on 07-01-2010 at 07:04 AM

Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Calender does the very same things...

RE: Outlook 2010 Vs Thunderbird+Sunbird Vs Spicebird by Pr0xY on 09-08-2010 at 08:00 AM

If you regularly use SharePoint or MS Office suites (excel, access, infopath, ext...), I would highly recommend Outlook 2010, mainly because of all the integration available.