Shoutbox

"One way web cam" function not working! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: "One way web cam" function not working! (/showthread.php?tid=94947)

"One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 11:49 AM

Hello,
I am new to these forums, this is my first post.
I have a new laptop and downloaded WLM etc to it and all appeared well. However, in the version I am using,(v.2009 Build 14.0.8117.416) I cannot get people to see me on their pc's who do not have a web cam? On my older version (v.2009 Build 14.0.8089.726) this worked without any probs!
I looked through these forums and it was suggested my current version has been removed and that an older one should be downloaded to replace.
If this is the case, could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to download an older version of messenger from?

System det's
Windows 7 64 bit, 4Gb Ram, NIS 2010, IE8

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-05-2010 at 12:00 PM

The new versions of messenger only allow video chat. If you want one way calling please uninstall messenger:

Start > (In XP, click Run) > Type in the following & press enter:

msiexec /x {B57EAFF2-D6EE-4C6C-9175-ED9F17BFC1BC}

Follow instructions to uninstall WLM.

Once you have done this install this version of messenger:

http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe2/wlm.asp

It should now work as it did before. In the new WLM 2010/2011 there will also be no one way chat, only video calls :(. You can give feedback to Live about this and tell them anything you disagree with:

http://feedback.live.com/

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-05-2010 at 12:16 PM

Downgrading is not recommended.

Although one-way webcam sending is no longer possible, a video call will still work even if only one person has a webcam, the other box will just show up a "no webcam" symbol.  If it doesn't then there is another problem, nothing to do with the version of Messenger

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 12:21 PM

Hello Chrissy'
Thanks for your reply. I seem to be having trouble trying to delete messenger. Tried your way but I keep getting a message saying I need permission? Do you have any ideas please.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-05-2010 at 12:28 PM

Are you an Administrator on your PC?

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 12:32 PM

Hello 'djdannyp'
Having read your reply, I think I may well leave things as they are for now. The video call function works great except for what I wrote earlier. I will definitely write some 'feedback' to MSN and suggest they bring back this function to the newer versions. It would be nice if friends can see you even if they don't have a web cam' as before.
Thanks for your help.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-05-2010 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fehmi
It would be nice if friends can see you even if they don't have a web cam' as before.
They can still see you,  but there cam will be on too. If they don't have one you will see nothing but the big bulky box will still be there.
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 12:51 PM

'Chrissy' - Yes I'm logged on as administrator!

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-05-2010 at 12:57 PM

Print screen what you see and post it here ;)

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 01:04 PM

I have already posted there with all the details earlier thanks.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-05-2010 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Tried your way but I keep getting a message saying I need permission? Do you have any ideas please.
Can you be more specific? We need to know the exact message..
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-05-2010 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fehmi
Hello 'djdannyp'
Having read your reply, I think I may well leave things as they are for now. The video call function works great except for what I wrote earlier. I will definitely write some 'feedback' to MSN and suggest they bring back this function to the newer versions. It would be nice if friends can see you even if they don't have a web cam' as before.
Thanks for your help.

Yes, you should stick with the current version (or the new beta if you prefer).

Your friends can still see you even if they don't have a webcam.  If they can't then there is another problem and that is what you should be addressing rather than trying to downgrade
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 02:26 PM

This is a bit confusing as some people say 'one way web cam' doesn't work in the newer versions and others like yourself say it should? Some of my friends were telling me my laptop was malfunctioning but as I said earlier the live video call worked great with one of my contacts.
I'm going to have to take a rain check on this because the last thing I want to do is mess my settings up.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-05-2010 at 02:34 PM

I can 100% confirm that doing a one way webcam via video call works 100% perfectly between the current and previous versions of WLM 2009.

Anything not working is a problem somewhere

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-05-2010 at 05:53 PM

Hello All,
It would appear that I have fixed the problem. It seems that the prob lies with what other people do. I set up a 'conversation' with my desktop pc and I clicked on 'video' which is on the toolbar and the video opened eventhough my desktop has no webcam.
If you can mark this thread as resolved as I dont need to do any more.
Many thanks to you all for your kind help.
Have a nice day

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chris4 on 07-05-2010 at 09:37 PM

Yeah, you've always been able to have a video call, even if you don't have a webcam and the other person does, as far as I'm aware.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-06-2010 at 04:35 AM

This is really bullshit. If someone tries to do a one-sided webcam chat with me I get NO NOTIFICATION and it just tells them I refused the chat.

Downgrading seems the only sensible option at this time.

I do not want to be forced to do video calls. They simply do not work as an adequate replacement.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Fehmi on 07-06-2010 at 06:10 AM

Hello Dr. Pizza,
I was very frustrated yesterday, iimagine getting a few friends telling you your new laptop is 'not working' and 'you should take it back because your webcam is a crock os s****' etc. I worked through this thing and eventually got the one way web cam function working. At first I couldn't 'see' from my laptop but when I selected the 'video' tab from my chat window (That is on my desktop pc without a webcam) the window opened to my surprise and I could see myself, beamed from the laptop? I was very surprised but pleased at the same time.
I have written to 'MSN Feedback' with my thoughts on this.
What surprised me was the number of contacts who wrote and said they couldn't see me! We shall see what develops today.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-06-2010 at 06:13 AM

DrPizza, you should advise your friends to upgrade to the same version and then they won't have the option to "Send Webcam" and will instead just send Video Calls, which you will get a notification of.

You aren't "forced" to use video calls, if you don't wish to send your webcam and just wish to be able to see theirs, then either disable your webcam in the Audio Video Wizard, or unplug it from your computer.  Then you can have a one-sided webcam chat (with the added benefit of audio), so technically it's even better than it was before

RE: RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-06-2010 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
DrPizza, you should advise your friends to upgrade to the same version and then they won't have the option to "Send Webcam" and will instead just send Video Calls, which you will get a notification of.
But I have hundreds of friends. It's ridiculous for Microsoft to make such an upgrade without at the very least making it compulsory. There's no obvious indication that my version is different: it just doesn't work properly.

quote:
You aren't "forced" to use video calls,
Er, yes, you are. There is no other option.

quote:
if you don't wish to send your webcam and just wish to be able to see theirs, then either disable your webcam in the Audio Video Wizard, or unplug it from your computer.
Is this meant to be a joke?

quote:
Then you can have a one-sided webcam chat (with the added benefit of audio), so technically it's even better than it was before
Audio isn't a benefit. I virtually never want audio.
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-06-2010 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DrPizza
But I have hundreds of friends. It's ridiculous for Microsoft to make such an upgrade without at the very least making it compulsory. There's no obvious indication that my version is different: it just doesn't work properly.

The obvious indication that your version is different is the different version number, the fact that you upgraded and the lack of "Send webcam" feature.

quote:
quote:

You aren't "forced" to use video calls
Er, yes, you are. There is no other option.

Don't take quotations out of context.....you aren't forced to use TWO WAY video calling as you can easily disable your webcam as I suggested.  If you're really that paranoid about not wanting people to see you whilst seeing them (which is a little backwards if you have a webcam) then it won't be that much of an issue to do as I suggested, or just turn your camera the other way (if it's a free standing camera).  And no, it isn't a joke...you're the one asking for a way to stop people seeing your webcam using the current system, I'm just giving it to you.  If you don't like the solution, don't use video chats.

quote:
Audio isn't a benefit. I virtually never want audio.

You can't deny that having audio makes it a better feature, whether you use it or not.  To be honest, you can complain as much as you want, it won't change anything.  One sided webcamming has been removed in favour of higher quality video chats, taking advantage of higher quality webcams and broadband than were available many years ago.  The best thing you can do is just get used to the new version and take the advice you've been given, because it's the best you'll get
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by vaccination on 07-06-2010 at 03:25 PM

You spread such bollocks djdannyp.

It's a shit decision and one that can not be backed up no matter how much fanboyism you pull out of your arse. The removal of single sided webcam conversations and the inclusion of forced video chat is in no way a step forward and not something that can be brushed away or justified with a callous "get used to it" attitude.

I think you'll find "the best thing you can do" is to register a complaint with Microsoft, and hope that by release this feature has been re-added into the product. If not, then your best option is not to simply upgrade - as djdannyp will tell you, spouting his usual "you must always upgrade to the latest version!!!1111!!!!11" nonsense - but rather to remain on 9.0, or better yet 8.5 which are both far superior clients currently.

RE: RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-06-2010 at 03:38 PM

quote:
quote:

The obvious indication that your version is different is the different version number, the fact that you upgraded and the lack of "Send webcam" feature.
That isn't obvious at all. I was setting up a new machine, downloaded the installer as normal, and it just installed something that was different and contained feature regressions, with no indication of having done so.

quote:
Don't take quotations out of context.....you aren't forced to use TWO WAY video calling as you can easily disable your webcam as I suggested.  If you're really that paranoid about not wanting people to see you whilst seeing them (which is a little backwards if you have a webcam) then it won't be that much of an issue to do as I suggested, or just turn your camera the other way (if it's a free standing camera).  And no, it isn't a joke...you're the one asking for a way to stop people seeing your webcam using the current system, I'm just giving it to you.  If you don't like the solution, don't use video chats.
Disabling my camera--which disables it for all my contacts--is not as good as selective enablement.

quote:
You can't deny that having audio makes it a better feature, whether you use it or not.
Er, yes, I can. Having to explicitly disable audio is worse than just not having audio.

quote:
To be honest, you can complain as much as you want, it won't change anything.  One sided webcamming has been removed in favour of higher quality video chats, taking advantage of higher quality webcams and broadband than were available many years ago.  The best thing you can do is just get used to the new version and take the advice you've been given, because it's the best you'll get
This is bollocks. The implication here is that Microsoft were somehow forced to remove the feature just to improve video calls. That is a load of crap.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-06-2010 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
You spread such bollocks djdannyp.

It's a shit decision and one that can not be backed up no matter how much fanboyism you pull out of your arse. The removal of single sided webcam conversations and the inclusion of forced video chat is in no way a step forward and not something that can be brushed away or justified with a callous "get used to it" attitude.

I think you'll find "the best thing you can do" is to register a complaint with Microsoft, and hope that by release this feature has been re-added into the product. If not, then your best option is not to simply upgrade - as djdannyp will tell you, spouting his usual "you must always upgrade to the latest version!!!1111!!!!11" nonsense - but rather to remain on 9.0, or better yet 8.5 which are both far superior clients currently.

Think what you want, but encouraging people to stick with old versions just ends up causing problems.  My "get used to it" attitude is a realistic one.  You can complain all you like and do whatever you want, but it won't change, so getting used to it is the best thing to do.

It's nothing to do with "fanboyism", I'd be saying the same thing whether I used/liked the product or not.

I'm not spreading any bollocks, you should always upgrade to the latest versions of everything and encouraging people to perform "hacks" and whatever in order to stay on older versions can cause other problems which are totally unnecessary.

The reason I say these things is because the same things happen every year.  As I've posted elsewhere, anything changed in a Microsoft product is automatically "shit, I want the old one that was SOOOO superiod", whereas anything new in an Apple product is always "OMG, new features are so cool"......there's no parity.

Is your memory so short that you can't remember just as many people complaining about changing from WLM 8.5 to WLM 2009?  Moaning how crap it is an saying they can never use it......those same people are the ones now singing its praises and slagging off the new one.....and you can guarantee that the same people will be doing exactly the same thing in a couple of years time.

@DrPizza, you can only have one video-call at a time....so disabling your camera doesn't disable it for all your contacts, it just disables it for whichever one you're video calling with at that moment.

At the end of the day, I'm just encouraging people to do the sensible thing, as we should be doing.  What you do personally is your own choice, but you shouldn't be advising other people to do it

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by vaccination on 07-06-2010 at 05:25 PM

What problems?

----

You are wrong. All the people who said WLM9 was shit, still think it's shit, many are still using 8.5. People are not saying 9 is amazing and 10 is shit, they're saying 10 is even worse than 9.

As a side note, Apple are a terrible company. Apple gets praised for pathetic additions to their software/hardware which are usually basic standards for all other vendors. And when Apple fuck things up, they spout some bullshit (refer to the recent signal issue & official response which was lolworthy). Unfortunately most people who buy Apple products are morons or haven't had the effects of clever marketing "ooooh shiny" syndrome wear off yet. Refer to Season 6, Episode 3 of Futurama

Why you would even bring up Apple/Microsoft into a simple discussion about the stupidity of removing features from an application astonishes me. Perhaps it's because your opinion is baseless.

Removing features which are useful is in no way justifiable, no matter what contorted jibberish you throw at it. Downgrading/staying on the current version works, and has no ramifications, so stop telling people to update.

-----

quote:
Think what you want, but encouraging people to stick with old versions just ends up causing problems.
Yes, because im constantly having problems with 8.5....

quote:
My "get used to it" attitude is a realistic one.  You can complain all you like and do whatever you want, but it won't change, so getting used to it is the best thing to do.
Didn't realise you worked at Microsoft, then again, they do tend to hire ignorant and stubborn people.

quote:
I'm not spreading any bollocks, you should always upgrade to the latest versions of everything and encouraging people to perform "hacks" and whatever in order to stay on older versions can cause other problems which are totally unnecessary.
Again, what problems? The webcam feature was broken when they released 2009, where it worked perfectly fine in 8.5, and still does, yet theres still ongoing issues with it in 9, maybe thats why they dropped it, they just can't be fucked to fix it.

quote:
@DrPizza, you can only have one video-call at a time....so disabling your camera doesn't disable it for all your contacts, it just disables it for whichever one you're video calling with at that moment.
Yet another backwards step, with one way video you could send cam and receive cam to many people at once...

quote:
At the end of the day, I'm just encouraging people to do the sensible thing, as we should be doing.  What you do personally is your own choice, but you shouldn't be advising other people to do it
No you're not, you're telling them to accept whatever gets thrown at them and not stand up for their own ideas/needs.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Justin on 07-06-2010 at 05:34 PM

As far as I know, high quality video calls is in the Wave 4 beta only, so I think it was unnecessary to take the 'one way webcam' out of this version. I wouldn't care for this change if it allowed me to cam with more than one person at once, but it doesn't. It's a stupid and unnecessary change. I'd downgrade but it would be pointless as the majority of people have the latest version and one way doesn't work for them.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chris4 on 07-06-2010 at 06:37 PM

No point complaining here about it guys, we can't do anything about it.

RE: RE: RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by CookieRevised on 07-06-2010 at 07:23 PM

quote:
quote:
That isn't obvious at all. I was setting up a new machine, downloaded the installer as normal, and it just installed something that was different and contained feature regressions, with no indication of having done so.
The version number is the obvious indication in this case though!

(unfortunatly) no program can magically know what version you had installed on a different machine. It is therefor logical that you, by yourself, either:
a) Check the version number of the installer you're about to download
b) Check the download page for any news on the version which you're about to download
c) Check the version number after you've installed the package.

quote:
Disabling my camera--which disables it for all my contacts--is not as good as selective enablement.
That's a somewhat justified complaint shared by many people (in regards to the need to first disable your webcam in order to have an one-direction Video Call). If you want to fix this, the only thing you can do about that is reporting the issue to MS (via Windows Live Solution Center for example), and follow djdannyp's advise in the main time...

quote:
quote:
You can't deny that having audio makes it a better feature, whether you use it or not.
Er, yes, I can. Having to explicitly disable audio is worse than just not having audio.
That is a pure objective and personal opinion. In fact, statistics show that most people prefer audio when they do a video call (no matter if it is done in directional or bidirectional). So yes, having audio is better in the general sense. And to mute it it is generally just a flick of a button...

quote:
quote:
To be honest, you can complain as much as you want, it won't change anything.  One sided webcamming has been removed in favour of higher quality video chats, taking advantage of higher quality webcams and broadband than were available many years ago.  The best thing you can do is just get used to the new version and take the advice you've been given, because it's the best you'll get
This is bollocks. The implication here is that Microsoft were somehow forced to remove the feature just to improve video calls. That is a load of crap.
As a matter of fact this is not bullocks or crap. There is truth in it. The Webcam feature did slow down the progress of the video feature. This because both partially used the same code base, and having the Webcam feature there didn't only confused most people (diff. between Webcam and Video) it also made that the video call couldn't be developped further taking advantage of new advanced features in the new OSs. This has been explained on official MS weblogs.

Now, in theory they could have seperated the two and kept the Webcam feature while developping the Video Call feature further. But this would require extra development resources because then you would have to maintain two almost identical features. And all that for a feature which is incompatible with other services and which would soonish be depricted anyways. These resources can far better be invested in developping or fixing other (new) features. So, from a bussiness and coding standpoint this decision was justified. The only thing they did "wrong" was that by combining these two almost indentical features, they also dropped the one-side video chat possebility.

So, all they need to do next is making it possible to initiate a one way Video Call again (in an more easy way - because as said before, it is still quite possible to do it).

Ranting about it will not help, at least not when you do it on unofficial forums. So, all I can suggest is going towards Windows Live Solutions Center and post feedback about it.

Note: believe it or not, but when Microsoft "drops" features they don't do it just for the fun of it (although I personally have that impression too sometimes). They base such decisions on demographics and user statistics. So it might be very possible that 10000 people realy liked using the one-sided Webcam feature. But on the other hand it might be well possible that like 2mil. other people never touched it or always used the Video Call feature...

------

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
All the people who said WLM9 was shit, still think it's shit, many are still using 8.5.
You can not use 8.5 anymore (without hacks) since a while.
[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-06-2010 at 10:07 PM

If it was removed to give high quality video, whats stopping them having it in single webcams :S

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by CookieRevised on 07-07-2010 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
If it was removed to give high quality video, whats stopping them having it in single webcams :S
prioritation?

For example of what could have happened: only a very small number of people actually used one-way video/web chats, so they didn't invest in it because there were other far bigger things to deal with with the available resources they had (eg: the whole social experience stuff).
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-07-2010 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For example of what could have happened: only a very small number of people actually used one-way video/web chats
I hope this is true because the turn out of this removal has caused a lot of complaints :P This might show Windows Live that people do USE it.
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by vaccination on 07-07-2010 at 05:11 PM

quote:
[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
All the people who said WLM9 was shit, still think it's shit, many are still using 8.5.
You can not use 8.5 anymore (without hacks) since a while.
[/OFF TOPIC]
Um, exactly? Just because it requires a simple string change doesn't mean people aren't using it.
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by CookieRevised on 07-08-2010 at 12:06 AM

quote:
quote:
For example of what could have happened: only a very small number of people actually used one-way video/web chats
I hope this is true because the turn out of this removal has caused a lot of complaints :P This might show Windows Live that people do USE it.
you misunderstand I think. What I said is quite the opposite.
It is not because like 10000 people complain about it that it means "a lot" of people use it, etc. 10000 people out of more than 1/4 billion of Messenger users is extremely small, and thus a very justified decision to not invest in it anymore. Same reason why they don't develop programs for Win95 anymore...
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-08-2010 at 12:37 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
It is not because like 10000 people complain about it that it means "a lot" of people use it, etc. 10000 people out of more than 1/4 billion of Messenger users is extremely small, and thus a very justified decision to not invest in it anymore. Same reason why they don't develop programs for Win95 anymore...

Either way, a lot of people hate it and it was a wrong decision. Having only video calling doesn't benefit anyone in anyway than not having single webcams.

High quality video? That's just a lame excuse. When this new version is released fully I can't wait for the 5 posts a day on how to get there webcam to work..
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-08-2010 at 06:17 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Either way, a lot of people hate it and it was a wrong decision. Having only video calling doesn't benefit anyone in anyway than not having single webcams.

High quality video? That's just a lame excuse. When this new version is released fully I can't wait for the 5 posts a day on how to get there webcam to work..

You missed his point entirely....again.  A "lot"  people don't hate it.....a few thousand people complaining out of the millions of Messenger users doesn't constitute a lot.  And the benefit has already been explained, if you don't want to believe it, that's up to you but asking the same questions over and over again won't get different answers. 
RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by Chrissy on 07-08-2010 at 12:54 PM

I'm not missing the point. Even if it a few thousand ms must be stupid not to listen. I few thousand members can change A LOT. Look at the petition patchou made ffs.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-09-2010 at 04:37 AM

quote:
And the benefit has already been explained, if you don't want to believe it, that's up to you but asking the same questions over and over again won't get different answers.
No benefit has been explained, because there is literally no benefit.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-09-2010 at 01:25 PM

quote:

Higher quality video, that has been explained numerous times by myself, by CookieRevised, by Microsoft themselves
RE: RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-09-2010 at 01:28 PM

quote:
quote:

Higher quality video, that has been explained numerous times by myself, by CookieRevised, by Microsoft themselves
Nope, that doesn't make sense, as anyone with even a cursory knowledge of software development would know.

I'm not talking about bogus rationalizations. I'm talking about actual, concrete benefits.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-09-2010 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...eleased-today.aspx

I want to elaborate a little bit more on some comments I’m seeing here about issues with the webcam feature. Here’s a little background.

The next version of Windows Live Messenger, releasing globally in the coming months, features two-way calling with high quality audio and high-definition video. This enhancement required significant changes in the audio and video stack used across all of our Windows Live services. This week’s Wave 3 update (called “QFE3”) upgrades the current release of Messenger with the new stack. As part of this upgrade, we are retiring one-way webcam functionality.

We never take the decision lightly to remove a feature, but we think that the improvements in performance and call quality for Wave 3 customers and the addition of high-definition video for Wave 4 customers made this the right decision.

Reject it if you want, but that is the benefit and the explanation.
RE: RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by DrPizza on 07-09-2010 at 01:50 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...eleased-today.aspx

I want to elaborate a little bit more on some comments I’m seeing here about issues with the webcam feature. Here’s a little background.

The next version of Windows Live Messenger, releasing globally in the coming months, features two-way calling with high quality audio and high-definition video. This enhancement required significant changes in the audio and video stack used across all of our Windows Live services. This week’s Wave 3 update (called “QFE3”) upgrades the current release of Messenger with the new stack. As part of this upgrade, we are retiring one-way webcam functionality.

We never take the decision lightly to remove a feature, but we think that the improvements in performance and call quality for Wave 3 customers and the addition of high-definition video for Wave 4 customers made this the right decision.

Reject it if you want, but that is the benefit and the explanation.
No it isn't. Nowhere does it explain the necessity of removing one-way webcam to achieve better quality in the separate video call feature.

RE: "One way web cam" function not working! by djdannyp on 07-09-2010 at 02:01 PM

If you want to be that picky, send an e-mail to Windows Live Support and see where it gets you.

Maybe they didn't explain all the ins and outs, but that's their prerogative.  Many companies don't explain full reasons for LOTS of things, but you've been presented with as many facts as any other member of the public has,

You can argue until you're blue in the face but you won't get any other explanation as that is the reason for it. 

You can reject any reason for anything, but ultimately it's just you that looks stupid because you're being told the real reason, by the source that made the decision...and still aren't believing it.

You're complaining in the wrong place, there is nothing we can do and to be honest there is nothing that Windows Live will do except tell you the facts, I'm almost certain that this isn't a change that will be reverted.  Just make your peace with the fact that the feature is gone and if you don't want to accept help on ways around it and ways to get used to it then stop posting. Rejecting what anyone says isn't a way to deal with anything