Shoutbox

Video aspect ratio distortion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Video aspect ratio distortion (/showthread.php?tid=94957)

Video aspect ratio distortion by C44 on 07-07-2010 at 01:03 AM

I notice my video as well as the video I receive from others is compressed horizontally.  I measured the native output of my webcam and the AR is 1.33 but the video picture sent and received by Messenger is 352 x 288 pixels which results in an AR of 1.22.  Why is this and how can it be corrected? 

RE: Video aspect ratio distortion by matty on 07-07-2010 at 12:55 PM

Best thing to do is to discuss this with Microsoft. We have no control over any of this.

RE: Video aspect ratio distortion by djdannyp on 07-07-2010 at 01:12 PM

If you go into Audio/Video Setup Wizard, are there any "Advanced options" you can configure on your webcam?  It may well be able to be changed from that

RE: Video aspect ratio distortion by C44 on 07-07-2010 at 01:44 PM

In the video setup the image appears with a correct aspect ratio of 1.33.  It is in the transmission where it gets distorted.

I believe the 352 x 288 pixel picture is determined by the codec used. I seem to remember NetMeeting used the same resolution and had this same defect. 

I believe this is a defect of Messenger and not of the webcam. I believe any webcam with an aspect ratio of 4:3 (which is pretty much all the ones I have ever seen) will have this problem with Live Messenger.

In other words, I believe most people are having this issue but they just don't notice or don't care.  I suppose many will prefer appearing more slender :)

The Common Interchange Format (CIF) Video standards, known as H.261 and H.263, were developed by the International Telecommunications Union.

CIF NTSC resolution: 352 x 240
CIF PAL resolution: 352 x 288

So it seems the video stream is sent with a different aspect ratio and the receiver should stretch or compress horizontally to restore the correct aspect ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Intermediate_Format

xCIF pixels are not square, instead having a native aspect ratio of ~1.222:1. On older television systems, a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2:1 was the standard for 525-line systems (see CCIR 601). On square-pixel displays (computer screens, many modern televisions) xCIF rasters should be rescaled horizontally by ~109% to 4:3 in order to avoid a "stretched" look: CIF content expanded horizontally by ~109% results in a 4:3 raster of 384 × 288 square pixels.

So it seems the answer is that the Live Messenger receiver should expand the video horizontally but it is not doing it.