Shoutbox

Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. (/showthread.php?tid=95025)

Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Ablin on 07-15-2010 at 03:17 PM

Hello, here I come with an GREAT idea, and I mean great. It will improve the comunity so much more.

So heres the idea.

IF you guys could combine the music program named "Spotify" (https://www.spotify.com/)
With windows live messenger.
And heres how.

You all know the thing when someone listens to music, it shows up what he/she is listening to:
[Image: 15ecpyh.jpg]

And when you click on that link, you end up in the search program named "Bing"
My idea is that when you click on what someone is listening to, it would show up in the program spotify. (If the song is playing on spotify by the person)
That idea will improve the comunity so greatly, Ive talked to many friends about it, and my "coder" friends and they all aprove of it making msn bigger and used more.
I would greatly be thankful if my idea/dream will come up true. And so does many others.

The only thing is, if we here in msn live! plus would have spare time to code this kind of idea, I would be more then gladly to help with the work. It maybe will be hard, and I don't really have much experiance about scripting for msn live! Plus, but with help I could learn easily. Add my msn if your intrested and have a mind of helping me or starting up yourself and leting me help you out.
MSN: ablin@live.se

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by matty on 07-15-2010 at 03:23 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Firstly it is Messenger Plus! Live not MSN Plus! Live. Secondly the chances of someone spending the time on something like this is limited. There are limitations in the scripting engine, such as the inability of detecting when you click on a contacts song they are listening to. It is a nice idea but don't count on the implementation of it.

Cheers.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by whiz on 07-15-2010 at 03:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Firstly it is Messenger Plus! Live not Messenger Plus! Live.
Eh?  It's Messenger Plus! Live, not MSN Live! Plus.  ;)
RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Ablin on 07-15-2010 at 04:16 PM

Everything has a chance, but still. If it's limited to get contact's info, you can always create a script that comes with it that makes you send your information to the users who has this script. Everything is possible but this is REALLY going to take some time.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by matty on 07-15-2010 at 05:12 PM

Let me get your request straight because it didn't make much sense at all.

You want to be able to click a song in your contact's list and have it stream the song in Spotify?

Unless Spotify has a documented API the latter would be difficult and the first part cannot be done in a script as we do not have access to these events.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Ablin on 07-15-2010 at 06:52 PM

Well, I've seen many scripts that gets your information and sends it by msn chat, but if you have that kind of script and use the idea of it you should be enable to share it thru your private message to.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by matty on 07-15-2010 at 07:05 PM

Ok you are really confusing me now based on what you originally posted about.

Can you please post again what you want to accomplish with this script?

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Ablin on 07-15-2010 at 07:12 PM

Ok look, the one you wrote newly, yes that is what I mean. To create a script that will forward the song you'r lisstening to, to make  spotify open.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by matty on 07-15-2010 at 07:17 PM

It is not possible for you to click on the song displayed in someone's personal message and have it play in Spotify.

Scripts are not made aware of any mouse click events in the contact list or chat window. Plain and simple.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Ablin on 07-15-2010 at 07:20 PM

Is that so?. Well sorry mate but im not so inteligent about live scripts, btw, is there anyway you could send your information by msn click on a /command that reads your info on spotify search the ID and gets it and sends it? Or doesen't these scripts have the priority to reach outside msn?

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by matty on 07-15-2010 at 07:38 PM

I don't know how Spotify works. If it makes this information through an API (Application Programming Interface) then yes it is possible however as I stated earlier I have no idea how Spotify works.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by blessedguy on 07-16-2010 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I don't know how Spotify works.
If you're interested, you can check it out here: http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/overview/
RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by CookieRevised on 07-17-2010 at 02:28 AM

Given the fact that Spotify is a media player which can share/stream the music it is playing, the OP wants to click on the "listening to"-link of a contact so that the OP can listen to that song too...

This is not possible simply because of the fact that Plus! scripts can not detect on which contact's "listening to"-link the user clicks.

Also, as far as I can (very quickly) spot in the tuts of Spotify: the person who wants to share/stream music needs to give the 'audiance' an URL with an unique id for the track/album he wants to share. This URL is unique to not only the track/album, but also to this person.

Thus:
a) Given that you can not know (without explicitly asking) what scripts and programs the contact is running...

b) Even if the contact happens to be running Spotify, you need to know that particular song/album URL, unique for that contact. Again you can't know this without explicitly asking.

c) The contact also needs to be running some plugin for Spotify which enables WLM to show the songs which are playing in Spotify (instead of Windows Media Player).
although, in that case, one could include that unique track/album id in the song title to solve the above points. But this unique ID is relative long (eg: http://open.spotify.com/track/4xyeDA2F9xcAtru8tzDkDP), which makes that you don't have a lot of space left for the actual album/song/artist names in the "listening-to" field.

Either way, it would still be impossible to detect a click on a "listening to"-link in the contactlist. You need a command/menu for that, invoked from a conversation window.

---

Makes me wonder how legal Spotify actually is. In many countries it is not allowed to share music with other people in public without paying royalties.

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by blessedguy on 07-17-2010 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In many countries it is not allowed to share music with other people in public without paying royalties.
It isn't absolutely free: you've got ads which you must listen to in the max volume between each song or pay for a premium account.
RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by CookieRevised on 07-17-2010 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In many countries it is not allowed to share music with other people in public without paying royalties.
It isn't absolutely free: you've got ads which you must listen to in the max volume between each song or pay for a premium account.
nice.
But although I haven't read everything on the site, I extremely doubt the revenue from those ads (or premium account payments) will go to the artists.
It is as good as impossible to link a random streamed song to an artist/studio/producent like that anyways.
That revenue is very most likely used to simply pay for their own bandwidth/site usage.
I guess they operate in the 'gray' zone between what is legal and what not (and in what countries, and blahblah)...

EDIT: http://www.spotify.com/int/work-with-us/labels-and-artists/
...is kind of a joke though. It either is only for the songs you can buy and thus says nothing about the stuff people put up...
Or they imply that they have a system in place which recognizes the songs the people upload. But you can not detect what the song and who the artist realy is by just the meta data because that can very easily be spoofed. And music recognition isn't that good either and not reliable at all and it would also require to have some super big data center with all the signatures of the all the songs ever made... not to mention the quality and encoding problems... yeah right

RE: Combining Messenger Plus! Live with Spotify. by Chris4 on 07-17-2010 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ablin
And when you click on that link, you end up in the search program named "Bing"
My idea is that when you click on what someone is listening to, it would show up in the program spotify. (If the song is playing on spotify by the person)
Here, I made you this:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/81668