Shoutbox

Messenger chat history problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Messenger chat history problem (/showthread.php?tid=95038)

Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-17-2010 at 08:10 AM

ive tried to sort out the following problem but have come to the end of the line as far as my tech expertise goes (which doesnt take much lol) on my home pc(win xp sp3) , windows live will record the chat history to the specified file without any problems at all, but on my new laptop, which has windows 7, it flatly refuses to record a log at all, even with the options to record checked. i've tried changing the file it saves the conversations to, unchecking and checking the boxes, reinstalling messenger, everything.

if anyone could shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated :)

RE: Messenger chat history problem by M73A on 07-17-2010 at 08:08 PM

Hi,

Is this Messenger Plus! Live Chat logs or Windows Live Messenger chat logs?

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-17-2010 at 08:14 PM

at the moment i have done a clean install just of windows live messenger until the problem has been fixed, still no joy as yet though

RE: Messenger chat history problem by M73A on 07-17-2010 at 09:15 PM

It is a rather strange problem, I know it is not a fix, but Messenger Plus! Live has a chat logging feature with a lot more options and features if that's any help?

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-17-2010 at 09:47 PM

thanks, i may have to give it a go i guess...no guarantee it will work where the standard messenger is failing though? all i can think is its maybe a firewall/av issue stopping a log being created after the chat boxes are closed?

RE: Messenger chat history problem by M73A on 07-18-2010 at 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure a firewall wouldn't stop a log being created because it would all be done locally on your computer... I doubt an antivirus would be an issue but maybe there's some crazy new features on the one your using?

Give the Messenger Plus! logs a go :)

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-18-2010 at 02:02 PM

well, a quick edit... have installed Messenger Plus! logs onto both my laptop and desktop, and the results were as i thought...my main pc works perfectly well, but the laptop that im having issues with just comes up with:
'Error - unable to write log for *msncontact* Access is denied'

RE: Messenger chat history problem by Nagamasa on 07-18-2010 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alifay
well, a quick edit... have installed Messenger Plus! logs onto both my laptop and desktop, and the results were as i thought...my main pc works perfectly well, but the laptop that im having issues with just comes up with:
'Error - unable to write log for *msncontact* Access is denied'
Are you using 2011/2010 Beta version (Wave 4) or the Final 2009 (Wave 3) release?

I've gotten the same error with and only with the Wave 4 beta.

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-18-2010 at 04:00 PM

i downloaded version 4.84.384 which as i said works fine on win xp, but not on win 7 at all, the win 7 laptop wont record message logs through windows live messenger OR messenger plus! live, most odd :(

RE: Messenger chat history problem by Lou on 07-18-2010 at 04:07 PM

quote:
i downloaded version 4.84.384 which as i said works fine on win xp, but not on win 7 at all, the win 7 laptop wont record message logs through windows live messenger OR messenger plus! live, most odd :(
He was asking which version of Messenger (Windows Live) you are using, not Messenger Plus! Live.
RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-18-2010 at 06:52 PM

ah i see...its version 2009 build 14.0.8089.726   which im guessing makes my problem even odder *sigh* :(

RE: Messenger chat history problem by CookieRevised on 07-18-2010 at 07:35 PM

Make sure your Windows 7 account has the proper rights for reading AND writing to the directory where you want to save your logs.

My wild guess is that this has probably nothing todo with the version of Windows Live Messenger (nor Messenger Plus! for sure), but everything with the Windows account itself.

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-18-2010 at 07:57 PM

im the sole user of both computers, and have set admin rights for myself on both, though admittedly im not that hot with windows 7 yet, is there any way of physically checking whether it should be possible for me to create and save the logs?

RE: Messenger chat history problem by CookieRevised on 07-19-2010 at 12:57 AM

quote:
is there any way of physically checking whether it should be possible for me to create and save the logs?
Sure... Just as you would do in XP: open up Windows Explorer (<Win>+<E>), navigate to the log directory and create a new file there.
RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-19-2010 at 06:09 PM

done as suggested...turned out that when i right-clicked and hit 'new..' it only offered the option to put a folder in there and nothing more, so i have now set all permissions for every user to allow full access, and can create all types of files in the folder now, but still it refuses to create a log there :(

RE: Messenger chat history problem by alifay on 07-23-2010 at 08:13 PM

about to give up on this i fear...at one point it recorded a single word, but now has stopped again without me changing any settings...im at a total loss