Shoutbox

Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) (/showthread.php?tid=95128)

Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by Merlin on 07-28-2010 at 01:09 PM

Hi all...Is anyone out there having a problem with your display name and online status in WLM automatically changing when you login to hotmail?

Last night I started to notice that when I log into hotmail (I guess Windows Live) through IE or Firefox, my display name in Windows Live Messenger automatically changes to my first name (the one that is used when I send an email through hotmail).  It also automatically changes my online status to Available (it was appear offline, away, busy, etc).  It’s definitely not just a problem with my computer or Windows XP…It also happens on my laptop which runs Vista.  Is there any way to stop this from happening?

I’ve already disabled the things in Windows Live Messenger like:
-    Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log onto Windows
-    Allow automatic sign in when connected to the internet

Any help is much appreciated

Many thanks

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by matty on 07-28-2010 at 01:19 PM

It could be the web messenger that is available in Hotmail.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by djdannyp on 07-28-2010 at 01:36 PM

In hotmail, look for where it lists your Messenger status (in the top right corner) and make sure that "Sign in automatically from this location" is deselected.  This should prevent it happening in future.  If necessary select it and then de-select it just to be sure

RE: RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by Merlin on 07-28-2010 at 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
In hotmail, look for where it lists your Messenger status (in the top right corner) and make sure that "Sign in automatically from this location" is deselected.  This should prevent it happening in future.  If necessary select it and then de-select it just to be sure

I haven't been able to find this option anywhere (using Firefox and IE).  I've clicked the status thing in the top right by my name and am given the list of items:

- Available
- Busy
- Away
- Appear offline
- Sign out of Messenger
- Various themes (and more themes)
- Account
- Options

I've tried signing out of Messenger but it just logs in automatically the next time I go in

Also looked around in the options over and over but haven't been able to find it.

Really appreciate your info

Mike
RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by djdannyp on 07-28-2010 at 04:29 PM

If you choose "Sign out of Messenger" and then click it again, you should see the option that I'm describing

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by Naacal on 07-29-2010 at 04:17 AM

Recently, I've been having the same problem. Messenger status automatically changes from "offline" to "available" whenever I open an e-mail. I would like to know what causes it.
I wasn't able to find an option "Sign in automatically from this location" and "Sign out of Messenger" doesn't solve the problem.
I would appreciate any info about the solution.
Thanks

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by djdannyp on 07-29-2010 at 06:03 AM

[Image: 1.JPG]
[Image: 2.JPG]

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by OswaldCobblepot on 07-30-2010 at 06:21 PM

I'm having the same issue. Im getting tired of having the change my display name everytime I sign into my hotmail. I tried what was listed here but I don't even see that option, I looked at the picture too and it didn't help. If there was a way to disable the messenger in hotmail that would rock because I dont use it, like I need another tab open.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by matty on 07-30-2010 at 06:39 PM

You need to sign out of the web based messenger to be provided with the option not to signin automatically.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by OswaldCobblepot on 07-30-2010 at 06:45 PM

I did that. Im not getting any special options.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by matty on 07-30-2010 at 06:47 PM

Can you post a screenshot of the options you do get?

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by OswaldCobblepot on 07-30-2010 at 06:54 PM

[Image: 4843875551_d22edfb0cd.jpg]

[Image: 4843875547_ba6933626c.jpg]

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by matty on 07-30-2010 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
quote:
Originally posted by OswaldCobblepot
[Image: 4843875551_d22edfb0cd.jpg]

[Image: 4843875547_ba6933626c.jpg]
[img=attachment]
Messed up the tags there Lou [img][attachment][/img]
RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by OswaldCobblepot on 07-30-2010 at 07:06 PM

I've done that and all I get is the option to sign into messneger, themes, account and options. I tried clicking on options and I get brought to a page that I can't do anything useful on.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by BadRabbit on 07-30-2010 at 09:19 PM

As you can see, I don't get that option with the new Hotmail layout.

[Image: One.jpg] [Image: Two.jpg]

I sign out but I don't get the option to turn the automatic sign in to that location on or off.

Any other solution?

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by |Anthony| on 08-01-2010 at 09:38 PM

Hey guys, I was having the same problem, and only have the options that BadRabbit has posted in her screen cap. I have found a solution that appears to work, and that is simply click on the messenger area in the top right corner of hotmail and click "Sign out of Messenger" and your display name on messenger won't be changing every time you login to Hotmail. It doesn't show the enable/disable option that everyone is having trouble finding, but it still fixes the original problem.

I did a couple of trials and turned that option on and off and signed in and out of messenger,and that "sign out" option seems to do the trick.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by Chris4 on 08-04-2010 at 02:39 AM

Issue should now be fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by Windows Live Blog
We’ve already gotten lots of feedback, and we’ve already made some changes based on the feedback we’ve received – for instance, we no longer sign you into Messenger by default. We’ll continue to go through feedback, and we’ll continue to make improvements and updates. So, keep the comments coming and thanks for using Hotmail.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by gaara20 on 08-11-2010 at 09:37 PM

Well today i signed into hotmail, and when i got to msn, it changed my personal message back to my old one. I noticed in my windows live profile, the message was still the old one i had and not the new.

Is this normal?

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by elina on 08-13-2010 at 03:40 PM

Please anyone knows how to customize the display name?
I was forced to upgrade to the beta version because of problems with the movie maker and messenger now I'm getting this problem.
Do not want to leave first and last name and would like to add characters as well. thanks for listening.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by matty on 08-13-2010 at 03:53 PM

With the latest version there isn't a nickname. You have to use your full name. However you can try changing it on your passport. That should resolve it.

RE: Automatic display name change & status change (WLM) by Deathwing on 12-18-2010 at 10:00 PM

Agreed this new MSN and its breach of privacy settings is appalling. Is there any way to restore the better old version? Mine updated automatically to this one :(

I don't get the "do not sign in automatically" option either, but I am hoping that by signing out of MSN in my Hotmail it won't sign me in again like another poster said.

So I am stuck with displaying my full name on my MSN now? I cannot change it back to just my first name? Talk about security issues!