Shoutbox

One Specific Email address corrupts registry? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: One Specific Email address corrupts registry? (/showthread.php?tid=95141)

One Specific Email address corrupts registry? by Lou on 07-30-2010 at 12:55 PM

A friend of mine has a very particular problem on her computer. When she signs into messenger, everything is fine, but as soon as she logs off it crashes with the usual "Windows Live Messenger has encountered a problem and must be closed." error.

The problem is that once that happens, every time she tries to run messenger, it gives that error immediately and stops. We've tried rebooting, logging out of the windows account and back in and are out of ideas.

The only method I've found to work is to delete the entire "MSNmessenger" registry entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. This will allow her to sign in but it will break again once she logs off or exits.

This has only been happening since Wednesday.

I did try with my email, and the problem does not exist with it. I can log out and back in without messenger crashing.

She uses:

Windows Vista Business
Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8117.416
No Messenger Add-ons

RE: One Specific Email address corrupts registry? by Spunky on 07-30-2010 at 01:14 PM

I would recommend trying a real time registry monitor to see which keys get changed as she logs off. Try to narrow down the problem a bit

RE: One Specific Email address corrupts registry? by Lou on 07-30-2010 at 03:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
I would recommend trying a real time registry monitor to see which keys get changed as she logs off. Try to narrow down the problem a bit
Any suggestions? I've never heard of any myself.
RE: One Specific Email address corrupts registry? by matty on 07-30-2010 at 03:33 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

RE: One Specific Email address corrupts registry? by Lou on 08-03-2010 at 03:16 PM

The problem was solved accidentally actually. It seems that the display picture was corrupted on the WLM servers. Changing the display picture solves the problem.