Shoutbox

Anybody use Prey? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Anybody use Prey? (/showthread.php?tid=95156)

Anybody use Prey? by nimicitor on 08-01-2010 at 05:56 PM

http://preyproject.com/

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Chris4 on 08-01-2010 at 11:35 PM

Nope, but I will do if I ever get a laptop. :)

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Chancer on 08-01-2010 at 11:44 PM

Retail version comes with a tin foil hat?

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Menthix on 08-02-2010 at 02:42 PM

Which retail version? It's free software. Nothing tin foil hat about being able to track your laptop should it ever get stolen or lost. Using something similar (WaveSecure, got a free lifetime suscription during the beta phase) for my phone.

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Ezra on 08-02-2010 at 08:30 PM

Immediately installed it on my laptop, already had a little script running that would let my server capture the IP address, but the GPS coordinates and a webcam picture is much better :-)

I'm running the Standalone version tho, don't want to give them all the data.

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Chancer on 08-03-2010 at 03:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Which retail version?
That was a joke...
RE: Anybody use Prey? by Menthix on 08-03-2010 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Which retail version?
That was a joke...
A lame one.
RE: Anybody use Prey? by Chrissy on 08-31-2010 at 02:56 PM

Can I use this on my iPhone?

RE: Anybody use Prey? by matty on 08-31-2010 at 03:23 PM

http://preyproject.com/download

Do you see a download for the iPhone? how hard was it to check that.

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Chrissy on 08-31-2010 at 03:28 PM

No I don't.

However, It say on the main page stuff about the iPhone..

RE: Anybody use Prey? by dotNorma on 09-01-2010 at 02:16 AM

I had iLocalis installed on my iPhone (the equivalent of this) and was stumbling through downtown Houston very much under the influence the other day when I got jumped. Much to my dismay the thiefs immediately turned off my phone thus rendering iLocalis useless. From there, all it would take is to plug it in and restore it to factory defaults to eliminate this problem.

I suspect somebody stealing a laptop would be even more keen to this and boot from a windows install disk or some shit.

RE: RE: Anybody use Prey? by nimicitor on 09-02-2010 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dotNorma
I had iLocalis installed on my iPhone (the equivalent of this) and was stumbling through downtown Houston very much under the influence the other day when I got jumped. Much to my dismay the thiefs immediately turned off my phone thus rendering iLocalis useless. From there, all it would take is to plug it in and restore it to factory defaults to eliminate this problem.

I suspect somebody stealing a laptop would be even more keen to this and boot from a windows install disk or some shit.

quote:
preyproject.com/faq

Can Prey be removed by a thief?

Not unless he has your administrative password.
And what if he formats the computer?

That’s a different story. We encourage you to add a BIOS password and disable booting from removable devices on your PC, so that the thief will be forced to boot into the previous installation and thus, not be able to format your hard disk easily.

If you have a Mac, there’s a firmware password utility on your Mac OS installation DVD. You can find it in in Applications/Utilities on the disc.

RE: Anybody use Prey? by Spunky on 09-09-2010 at 07:34 AM

Got it on my PC now, but they don't support the HTC Wildfire's QVGA display right now, else it'd be "le shit"

EDIT: Now I'm spending all morning searching for if shit is masculine or feminine. I suppose I could always put "les shits", but that just sounds like a bad stomach...

DAMN IT :p