Shoutbox

webcam problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: webcam problem (/showthread.php?tid=95186)

webcam problem by cristian on 08-05-2010 at 07:17 PM

does anyone know why when i press the webcam button next to the profile picture it starts a video call rather than just send or request a webcam viewing :(
its really annoying and i dont know what to do.i tried reinstalling msn and that didnt help.

RE: webcam problem by matty on 08-05-2010 at 07:47 PM

What version of Windows Live Messenger are you using?

RE: webcam problem by cristian on 08-05-2010 at 07:51 PM

not sure
i do belive its the latest one tough

RE: webcam problem by matty on 08-05-2010 at 08:00 PM

Click on the Help Menu > About Windows Live Messenger.
What is the version displayed.

RE: webcam problem by djdannyp on 08-05-2010 at 08:04 PM

"Send your webcam" has been removed in the latest stable & beta versions of Windows Live Messenger, doing a "Video Call" is how it works now.  This will still work even if one of the two people doesn't have a webcam

RE: webcam problem by cristian on 08-06-2010 at 09:14 AM

so what i should do is download a previous version of msn?

and it says version 2009
RE: webcam problem by djdannyp on 08-06-2010 at 09:43 AM

Yes, version 2009 is the latest stable version.

Downloading a previous version is not recommended, you should just use the "Video Call" feature instead

Also, please refrain from making consecutive posts without someone else replying, this is known as double posting and is against the forum rules

RE: webcam problem by cristian on 08-06-2010 at 09:54 AM

i see.so why is it not recomended.i prefer just sending and viewing webcams than video call

RE: webcam problem by djdannyp on 08-06-2010 at 11:26 AM

It's not recommended as for security and troubleshooting reasons you should always be using the latest versions of products.  Obviously if you want to do it, then no-one can stop you, but we're just advising on what's best

RE: webcam problem by cristian on 08-07-2010 at 12:23 PM

i see.i might as well give it a try i supose :/

RE: webcam problem by DonDeano on 08-16-2010 at 12:21 PM

Any chance the send webcam can be put back in the future ? its a big inconvinance not being able to do it as now i cant webcam to multiple people at 1 time. Its what made msn good having the send webcam feature just having video call only is a big bother if u want to view webcam but not send, its also just 1 button so doesnt need much work so why fix something that isnt broken ?. I hope the send webcma butto nis back soon as im using the old version i can send to any1 or receive from anyone who has the odler version but any1 who has the new version it just auto closes the cam request as it dont support it.

Please put this feature back in im sure theres loads of people who will agree with me sayin it was a good feature and loosing it is not good.

RE: webcam problem by djdannyp on 08-16-2010 at 03:48 PM

This is just a support forum for Messenger Plus! Live, no-one here works for Microsoft.  To give official feedback, try either of these places:

Give general feedback > http://feedback.live.com
Report a bug > http://windowslivehelp.com

The feature wasn't removed just to remove one button, it was to enable higher quality webcamming.  To send/receive webcam to/from people using a newer version of WLM just use 'Video Call', it will still work even if only one person has a webcam

RE: webcam problem by Chrissy on 08-16-2010 at 09:53 PM

If you want the version that has the one-way web-cam feature follow this.

1. Start > (In XP, click Run) > Type in the following & press enter:

msiexec /x {B57EAFF2-D6EE-4C6C-9175-ED9F17BFC1BC}

2. Follow instructions to uninstall Windows Live Messenger.
3. Then download and install this version: http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe2/wlm.asp

** As said above this is not recommended and might cause problems, I've been running an old version of Windows Live Messenger and personally had no problems. It's up to you. Good Luck ;)