Shoutbox

Chris4's Europe Trip - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Chris4's Europe Trip (/showthread.php?tid=95210)

Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-09-2010 at 08:39 PM

I'm touring Europe with a friend of mine from 15th August for 2 weeks.

Berlin, Germany
Dresden, Germany
Prague, Czech Republic
Vienna, Austria
Venice, Italy
Rome, Italy
Milan, Italy
Aix-en-Provence, France
Avignon, France
Paris, France

If anyone wants to meet up or has any suggestions, let me know! [Image: 001.png]

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by wacky on 08-11-2010 at 08:58 PM

rofl.. just how many of us are touring Europe this summer?? :chrongue:

Unfortunately, I'm in Switzerland during your trip and you're not visiting this place, but I hope you have a great time. I know I've been having a blast so far (saw the Netherlands and Belgium so far thank you so much Sunshine and Cookie for your generocity and for having shown me so much! I had a fantastic time

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by blessedguy on 08-11-2010 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
rofl.. just how many of us are touring Europe this summer??
Many :( And I had mine delayed for at least another year... [will be going South, though. Camboriú *-*]
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chancer on 08-12-2010 at 01:50 AM

I'll be touring college's building this semester. Unlike other semesters, each class I'll move to another room. [Image: 083.png]
Not much fun as touring Europe. At all.

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chrono on 08-12-2010 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
rofl.. just how many of us are touring Europe this summer??
Many :( And I had mine delayed for at least another year... [will be going South, though. Camboriú *-*]

Camboriu isnt in europe :refuck:
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by blessedguy on 08-12-2010 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
But is cold, the hotel faces the sea, and where I'll be able to be :chrongue:
[because it is close to Beto Carrero, will be going there too.]
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chrono on 08-12-2010 at 02:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
But is cold, the hotel faces the sea, and where I'll be able to be :chrongue:
[because it is close to Beto Carrero, will be going there too.]
been there, done that :cheesy: it's a nice place :P
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by CookieRevised on 08-13-2010 at 06:06 PM

quote:
rofl.. just how many of us are touring Europe this summer?? :chrongue:
Maybe we need to set up our own travel agency :tongue:

quote:
Unfortunately, I'm in Switzerland...
...and I'm not :sad:...
quote:
...during your trip and you're not visiting this place, but I hope you have a great time. I know I've been having a blast so far (saw the Netherlands and Belgium so far thank you so much Sunshine and Cookie for your generocity and for having shown me so much! I had a fantastic time
My pleasure! And I had an unforgettable time too... Hope to see you again some day :wink: it is quite boring here now without the company....

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-14-2010 at 01:58 PM

good luck chris, have fun, I hope all my answers to your questions were helpful :P

quote:
(saw the Netherlands and Belgium so far thank you so much Sunshine and Cookie for your generocity and for having shown me so much! I had a fantastic time

Cookie and Sunshine are awesome I had a really good time with them both Cookie drives crazily and I travelled about 9 hours from Switzerland to see Sunshine :D
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-15-2010 at 03:39 AM

* Chris4 waves goodbye :D

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-19-2010 at 04:35 PM

how's it going?

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by CookieRevised on 08-20-2010 at 02:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I'm touring Europe with a friend of mine from 15th August for 2 weeks.

pics or it didn't happen :P
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-20-2010 at 03:04 AM

tits or gtfo?

I posted my pics and blogged :refuck:

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by John Anderton on 08-21-2010 at 03:43 AM

Have fun.. :p I am planning a trip at the end of the year but it won't be Europe. The trip next year would probably be South East Asia (some remote beach :p).. so I'll probably hit Europe again in 2012.. before the end of the world :P

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-24-2010 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
how's it going?
It's great.

One thing I didn't know was that you have to reserve seats on the fast trains, such as Eurostar. Can't just use your InterRail. So I had to pay a fine. :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
pics or it didn't happen :P
Soon. :p

RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by CookieRevised on 08-24-2010 at 12:29 AM

quote:
One thing I didn't know was that you have to reserve seats on the fast trains, such as Eurostar. Can't just use your InterRail. So I had to pay a fine. :dodgy:
Correct and not correct...

You _always_ need to buy tickets on the ticket counter (Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/?...), also for local trains!! Unless there is no ticket counter in the station, then you can buy your ticket on the train itself... but that is getting more and more rare though.

The difference is that with international trains (the 'fast' trains), seats are limited, so you best reserve them beforehand. But that is never required though! You can just as easily ask for a ticket without reservation... at the ticket counter in the station. But the chances are all seats will be gone by then.

Bottom line: you need to have a ticket _before_ you enter the train. But you don't need to 'reserve' a seat beforehand.
(Reservations are only possible on international trains anyways. You can't reserve a seat on a local train)

A train ticket on an international ('fast') train is for one specific seat on a specific time for one specific traject.
A train ticket on a local train is for a specific traject (or multiple trajects) during a specific time period.

;)

note: since very very recently, in Belgium, for international trains, they will charge you like €7 more when you buy your ticket at the ticket counter in the train station compared to when you buy your ticket online. That €7 is for the so called 'service' they (don't) provide. It speaks for itself that there is a big protest against this brand new practice, not only from the travellers, but also from every union, even from the people working at the ticket desks themselfs (today they even had a strike for 1 hour because of it), etc. Hopefully they will stop this stupid extra charge if there are enough complaints filed....
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-24-2010 at 07:35 AM

When I went Paris -> Geneva they made me pay a reservation fee even though I found a space on the train. Sounds similar to what cookie's going on about really, there was no reason for that charge and in fact I actually spent the majority in the luggage rack by the toilet charging my phone from the shaver socket so I didn't even use the seat

RE: RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-25-2010 at 01:36 AM

Sending this from my phone so excuse my dodgy writing.

I think you have some things mixed up there, cookie.

When you say you always need to buy a ticket at the counter, that's not correct when you have InterRail, as the IR that counts as your ticket. So tickets in my situation i never need to get, but normally yes.

I called them 'fast trains' because they're not just international, e.g. I used eurostar from one city to another in italy and going to do the same in france with the fast TGV trains.

And for these trains, you need a reservation which is 10 euros from the desk or 18 when the ticket guy comes round and checks you don't have one.

Would buy reservations online but last time i tried it wouldn't work, possibly because the train is too soon, as its a last minute thing in my travelling situation.

That's from my experience anyway.

RE: RE: RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by CookieRevised on 08-25-2010 at 02:35 AM

quote:
I think you have some things mixed up there, cookie.
actually: nope... :p

quote:
When you say you always need to buy a ticket at the counter, that's not correct when you have InterRail, as the IR that counts as your ticket. So tickets in my situation i never need to get, but normally yes.
It is correct what I've said. A pass is also a form of a ticket... so you do have a 'ticket'. Again, you can not board a train without having a ticket (in one form or the other), otherwise you'll pay a fine which can be quite high depending on the situation:
quote:
And for these trains, you need a reservation which is 10 euros from the desk or 18 when the ticket guy comes round and checks you don't have one.
that price you payed more is actually a fine!! (and do it in Belgium and you can end up paying quite a bit more sometimes (towards €100 euro)). You are not meant to buy your ticket on the train itself, but on the ticket counter, unless there is no ticket counter in the station where you boarded the train.

Above is for Belgium, Netherlands, etc. In other European countries other rules may apply, but the principles are mostly all the same.

quote:
I called them 'fast trains' because they're not just international, e.g. I used eurostar from one city to another in italy and going to do the same in france with the fast TGV trains.
They still are international trains though; their complete traject goes from one country to another. Of course you can hop on and off to your likings (according to your ticket) and use them for shorter trajects, like with any other train, but they still are international long haul trains.

;)
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-27-2010 at 10:52 AM

quote:
otherwise you'll pay a fine which can be quite high depending on the situatio
My travel mate got 'caught out' going between Czech Republic and Germany, his ticket came to something like €120
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-27-2010 at 11:52 AM

quote:
that price you payed more is actually a fine!!
Sure, I know that. That's why it's €8 more. :p

Well I've used 9 out of 10 journeys so far, however I've only been marked down for 6, so I could keep travelling if I wanted, but my friend had to book all the flights/hostels to secure his visa, so no choice but to go home. If anyone wants free travel round Europe in the next couple weeks lemme know (they don't check your name) and you can have my ticket ;)
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by aNILEator on 08-31-2010 at 12:07 AM

quote:
If anyone wants free travel round Europe in the next couple weeks lemme know (they don't check your name) and you can have my ticket ;)

You're supposed to present your passport at the same time. which confirms country of residence and name.

Try to use it in England ;-) I was cheeky enough to get away with it even on the virgin train from London to Stoke-on-Trent! Saved a nice load there!

Don't bother sending the form off to the company your gift is a 128MB USB stick or a notebook (as in paper and pen!) and if you've not been marking down each train journey or you've been cheeky they could charge you the extra's. not worth it for the gift tbh :P
RE: Chris4's Europe Trip by Chris4 on 08-31-2010 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I was cheeky enough to get away with it even on the virgin train from London to Stoke-on-Trent! Saved a nice load there!
Nice :p but if I get caught, I'll have to pay for the full price ticket (no student railcard discount) and possibly a fine. :p