Shoutbox

Nod32 Blocking Update URL - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Nod32 Blocking Update URL (/showthread.php?tid=95228)

Nod32 Blocking Update URL by matty on 08-11-2010 at 09:09 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=999102]

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Spunky on 08-11-2010 at 09:10 PM

We should have seen that coming tbh

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Menthix on 08-11-2010 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
We should have seen that coming tbh
Not really, they have been fine with it for years, now that Yuna has decided to phase out CiD they are suddenly blocking things left and right :s.

It is probably a reaction on http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/old/ which has the download hosted on download.msgpluslive.net. But Messenger Plus! 3.63.148 was re-compiled and re-uploaded last Sunday and doesn't contain any CiD package anymore either. See eset nod32 blocked messenger plus 4.85 for why MallwareBytes and NOD32 had an issue with Plus!. That issue has been fixed though, neither MalwareBytes nor NOD32 should have anything left to complain about at this point.

I guess someone at Yuna is in contact with them to get it solved, give it 2 days. If that doesn't help, contact Eset and MalwareBytes.
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Chrissy on 08-11-2010 at 11:27 PM

I got this too!

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Menthix on 08-11-2010 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
I got this too!
Congrats, it seems Eset didn't make a special if($user==chrissy) { bypassblocks(); } for you :S.

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Chrissy on 08-11-2010 at 11:49 PM

I'm on AVG :P

Yeah, I should of said.

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Chrono on 08-12-2010 at 02:27 AM

quote:
I'm on AVG
what the f*ck chrissy, then why did you reply?
Did you really get the site blocked by avg or are you randomly trying to avoid your spam getting deleted? Screenshots of the block message? Proof?
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by blessedguy on 08-12-2010 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
I'm on AVG
Did you really get the site blocked by avg or are you randomly trying to avoid your spam getting deleted? Screenshots of the block message? Proof?
I'm on AVG, nothing seems to have changed since... since ever?
RE: RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Toxn on 08-12-2010 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
I'm on AVG
I love you.(H)
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Spunky on 08-12-2010 at 04:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Not really, they have been fine with it for years, now that Yuna has decided to phase out CiD they are suddenly blocking things left and right

I mean after the trouble with ESET flagging the current installers as malicious. Should have realized that the auto-update was going to be blocked
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by lopardo on 08-12-2010 at 05:33 PM

Also, didn't MsgPlus use to have an option to disable sending statistics? The URL that NOD32 blocks seems to send usage statistics.

Oh, and there's a new MsgPlus installer, v4.85.1.386. No changelog.

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Tochjo on 08-12-2010 at 05:48 PM

The new release resolves eset nod32 blocked messenger plus 4.85. Apparently, the detection of win32/adware.cidhelp was caused by the installer downloading version 3.63 if no version of Windows Live Messenger was detected, but Windows Messenger (that comes bundled with Windows XP) was installed. Since version 3.63 still contained the Circle Development adware, the program flagged the new installer as well.

The new installer asks you to download a compatible version of Windows Live Messenger instead. Moreover, the download of version 3.63 was also adjusted to remove the Circle Development sponsor program.

A clarifying image, showing the old version on top and the new one below:

[Image: Plus!-v4.85.0.386-vs-v4.85.1.386.png]
(image by Menthix)

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by matty on 08-12-2010 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
[Image: Plus!-v4.85.0.386-vs-v4.85.1.386.png]
(image by Menthix)
The latter should really have a cancel button...
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Menthix on 08-12-2010 at 08:37 PM

In addition to blocking download.msgpluslive.net NOD32 now also started labeling 4.85.1.386 (the fixed one, see above screenshot) as a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus potentially unwanted application. NOD32 - v.5360 (20100812) added Win32/MessengerPlus to ThreatSense.

Earlier today this version (which was released August 8) wasn't identified as anything yet. Guess it at least is a little better than win32/adware.cidhelp, but it is still not making any sense.

Eset, get of your powertrip :(.

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Hank on 08-12-2010 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Eset, get of your powertrip :(
Esset don't care for there customers no more
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by alvarorojas4 on 08-13-2010 at 07:39 PM

I just download the update and when it completes the NOD says that Find a Virus and the download never finish :l
Hope tha NOd fix it soon :S

RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by matty on 08-13-2010 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alvarorojas4
I just download the update and when it completes the NOD says that Find a Virus and the download never finish :l
Hope tha NOd fix it soon :S
Nod32 will not be fixing it any time soon. You will need to disable Nod32 download and install Messenger Plus! then enable Nod32.
RE: Nod32 Blocking Update URL by Menthix on 08-16-2010 at 12:27 PM

Small update:

AFAIK that only leaves the current version (4.85.1.386, released August 8 2010) as being identified as "as a variant of Win32/MessengerPlus potentially unwanted application", while all other scanners don't see any problem with it. I don't see why Eset would still have a problem with Plus!. CiD isn't there. They already unblocked download.msgpluslive.net. And nobody, including anti-adware apps, seems to have a problem with the current Conduit/Ask.com sponsor packages. Perhaps they forgot about Win32/MessengerPlus when they were removing the download.msgpluslive.net block.
Oh, and certain older Plus! versions are still identified as win32/adware.cidhelp, but nobody should have a reason to use those anyway, so that should be ok.

EDIT: Actually, it seems MalwareBytes was a bit lazy in lifting the ban. Let's hope they completely lift it soon.
EDIT2: MalwareBytes stopped flagging Messenger Plus! (and the site) completely.