Shoutbox

[Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares (/showthread.php?tid=95253)

[Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by Mike on 08-15-2010 at 02:18 AM

I have an Xbox (the old one) with XBMC installed, and I use it to watch stuff I share on my Windows computer.

Before the WLM 2011 beta, everything used to be working fine. After the beta however, XBMC couldn't access my Windows shares (it requested a password, but I don't use a password).
It turned out that Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant was to blame.

If I uninstall it (via the msi in the .cache folder), XBMC can access my shared folders just fine. However, unlike in WLM9 where the assistant was not a vital component, uninstalling the assistant in WLM2011 will totally break it (missing dll; but it won't work even if you replace the DLL, since the assistant installs a service that WLM relies on it (you can't sign in if that service is stopped)).

So, it looks like it's either WLM or XBMC...

Anyone got any suggestions?
I'll try installing the older version of the assistant tomorrow (which I didn't have any problems with it), alongside with WLM2011, but I highly doubt that it will work... :(

EDIT: Got in touch with the developers, and they applied a Samba patch which fixed the problem :)

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by redbluequad on 10-25-2010 at 05:15 AM

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the post. I noticed over the weekend that my XBOX was not authenticating with my Windows 7 computer that is sharing media. I would constantly receive a password prompt. This behavior was present on two xboxes. And no matter what I typed it would not go through to the folders. Yet another Windows 7 machine was working fine on the same xboxes. I then found out that it was Windows Live 2011 that was the culprit.

So thanks again for confirming my suspicion.

Apparently a new version of XBMC was compiled that addressed the smb issues with Windows Live 2011 and can be found here:

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/xbmc/xbox/xbmc-sambatest.zip

I am not sure what to do with this file though. Do I extract it and then ftp into the xbox and drag and drop the updates files over to the xbox, overwriting all existing files? Or do I first delete all the xbmc files from xbox and then upload the extracted files back to the XBOX?

If you know what procedure I should follow I greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Quad

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by Mike on 10-25-2010 at 02:19 PM

I uploaded the files via FTP into my XBMC directory, replacing any older files and it worked. Try that :)

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by redbluequad on 10-28-2010 at 02:47 AM

Thanks. I did what you suggested and now it is working again!

Thanks to all that fixed it!

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by Mike on 10-28-2010 at 11:26 PM

Glad you got it to work :)

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by vahnx on 12-30-2010 at 07:29 PM

XBMC development on the original Xbox was halted long ago... so is there a patch for the Xbox 1? Same boat, different platform.

RE: [Solved] Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant won't allow XBMC to access Windows shares by Mike on 12-30-2010 at 08:25 PM

XBMC4XBOX took over. I was also talking about the Xbox build. Download the latest XBMC4XBOX release and it should work fine :)