Shoutbox

Two windows showing up on taskbar? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Two windows showing up on taskbar? (/showthread.php?tid=95283)

Two windows showing up on taskbar? by eejay99 on 08-20-2010 at 11:29 PM

Okay, so I always used to use Messenger Plus on my old laptop (Vista) and it worked fine, but now ive just installed in on my new laptop (win7) and on my taskbar there are 2 Windows live messenger bars. One is just the usual Windows live messenger, and the other says my screen name and then (available). Anyone know why its doing this and if i can get rid of it? Also, if i try and close the extra one it shuts down my whole msn which is pretty annoying.

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by Toxn on 08-20-2010 at 11:36 PM

I don't think there is any type of fix for it but the new Windows Live Messenger 2011 beta removes the problem. You can either get the beta here but not have Plus! support, wait for the final release, or stay with the current release.

Also this thread should be moved to MSN/Windows (Live) Messenger as it isn't Plus! related.

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by djdannyp on 08-21-2010 at 01:29 AM

Correct, there's no 'fix' for it as it's not a problem, it's just how WLM 2010 was designed, but after much feedback, it's been altered for 2011

Reporting it tends to get it moved quicker than just writing that it needs moving ;)

RE: RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by Toxn on 08-21-2010 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

Reporting it tends to get it moved quicker than just writing that it needs moving ;)
I got side tracked and forgot to report it :S
RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by eejay99 on 08-21-2010 at 11:34 AM

But isn't it plus related because it only happens once I've installed plus?

With just normal MSN you can have it in the tray by changing the compatibility. I know you guys don't like doing that on here, but I was just wondering why that doesn't work with Plus, but it does with normal msn.

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by djdannyp on 08-21-2010 at 12:00 PM

As far as I'm aware it's not anything to do with Messenger Plus! Live.  If you uninstall Messenger Plus! Live and don't use compatibility mode, does that extra window still display?

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by Menthix on 08-21-2010 at 12:39 PM

It might have happened after you installed Plus! because Plus! removes the compatibility mode. Thus mode is known to cause problems in combination with Plus!.

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 04:52 AM

To fix that you'll need set compatibility mode of msnmsgr.exe to vista service pack 2, but the question is:
how does MPL! remove the compatibility mode? Does it patches msnmsgr.exe file?:^)

After each update there are two annoying things MPL! does:
1) it doesn't restart WML after update
2) it removes compatibility mode

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by djdannyp on 08-25-2010 at 06:39 AM

Please don't advise people to use compatibility mode, as that is not recommended

There is nothing to "fix", that is intended behaviour, not a bug.

Messenger Plus! Live's install removes compatibility mode as it can cause problems.

The reason it doesn't restart WLM after an update is because the Messenger Plus! Live install runs with elevated (administrator) priviliges....and if it automatically started WLM then that too would be run as administrator and that shouldn't happen.

And the compatibility mode has already been explained ;)

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 12:49 PM

Just out of curiosity, what problems are we talking about? I've been using that method for removing window from taskbar since day one and never had any problems...

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by djdannyp on 08-25-2010 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Changelog

Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

That's the reason given by the Messenger Plus! Live changelog.  I would argue that if it's a big enough reason for the software to do this by default, then it should be used.

Furthermore, if you've been doing it "since day one" then you won't even realise that it's running slow :)
RE: RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Furthermore, if you've been doing it "since day one" then you won't even realise that it's running slow :)
Good point :D
WLM starts in about 0.5-1 sec, then it's 3-5 sec login delay and "desktop contacts" appear after about 2 more sec, so total it's about 8 sec for wlm to fully start...not too bad I'd say...
RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by djdannyp on 08-25-2010 at 05:57 PM

It's not to do with how long it takes to load, or to appear....it may just be running slowly all the time.

Either way, compatibility mode is not recommended.  If you want to use it at your own risk, then fine, but please don't recommend it to other people as a "solution", when in fact they aren't experiencing a problem, they're experiencing intended behaviour

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 06:57 PM

not trying to argue or anything, you are right, but IMO MPL! should grant user's settings as they think fit them, not what MPL! thinks should be better for the user, especially when it's an update of already installed MPL!...or at least give the user a choice instead of forcibly change their settings...

RE: Two windows showing up on taskbar? by Menthix on 08-25-2010 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by V@no
IMO MPL! should grant user's settings as they think fit them, not what MPL! thinks should be better for the user, especially when it's an update of already installed MPL!...or at least give the user a choice instead of forcibly change their settings
Such things were discussed before, see When Plus! is updated, compatability mode changes. . I agree, at the least a notice message of the compatibility mode settings being removed would be nice.