Shoutbox

WL Messenger 2011 Display Name - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name (/showthread.php?tid=95322)

WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by amyearsley on 08-25-2010 at 11:01 PM

Using teh WLM2011 Beta release at the moment and can't figure out how to change my display name.  On my screen it just shows up as my normal name.  However, on everyone's else's it shows my old display name.

I've looked everywhere and can't find it, help would be appreciated...

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Chrissy on 08-25-2010 at 11:12 PM

In this new version you will only be able to use your real name. There will be no way to change this into a display sorta name. There will be no display names. Your name is taken from your Live profile.

I also feel this is a major privacy issue.

If you feel Microsoft have made a wrong decision give negative feedback to them by following the link in my signature below.

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by djdannyp on 08-26-2010 at 06:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
There will be no way to change this.

Change your name in your Windows Live Profile?
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by zoralagas on 09-01-2010 at 12:41 AM

Tools -> Options -> Personal -> Edit name ? ? ?

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Hank on 09-01-2010 at 01:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

Change your name in your Windows Live Profile?
either do that or use a different IM service
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by djdannyp on 09-01-2010 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zoralagas
Tools -> Options -> Personal -> Edit name ? ? ?

This option is no longer possible with WLM 2011
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Menthix on 09-01-2010 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
This option is no longer possible with WLM 2011
Actually, it is. In the beta refresh the brought that button back. Although all it does is redirect you to http://profile.live.com/details/edit/name where you change your Windows Live profile name. Changing nicknames inside Messenger itself is a thing of the past.

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Razza on 10-26-2010 at 03:37 AM

This is so stupid! Wasn't that one of the best things of WLM* (:P)? That you didn't need to show your full name? :@That you could have your full name sent on emails but not on messenger? And as for the emoticons.. i like these we have here, not the new ones. I do like the flower ones tho. :D

RE: RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Razza on 10-26-2010 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Originally posted by Razza
This is so stupid! Wasn't that one of the best things of MSN? That you didn't need to show your full name? :@That you could have your full name sent on emails but not on messenger? And as for the emoticons.. i like these we have here, not the new ones. I do like the flower ones tho. :D
you better change the MSN to WLM, it might upset Lou :p 

Done :).

But I cant even downgrade, it's like v. 2009 has completely disappeared, and 2011 is everywhere. If we could hide the crap social things, and change our Nicknames without having to change our email names, I wouldn't care.

I've uninstalled and gone to Trillian.
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Nagamasa on 10-26-2010 at 04:17 AM

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP is what you're looking for

And you can hide the social stuff, just press that button on the top left ("Switch to compact view") :P

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by CookieRevised on 10-26-2010 at 05:48 AM

Also, downgrading will not bring display names back in the sense that your contacts who use WLM 2011 will still see your real name.

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Razza on 10-26-2010 at 06:13 AM

Well thats frustrating. No one has any clue why they removed Nicknames? There's nickname generators out there for heaven sakes.

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by CookieRevised on 10-26-2010 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Well thats frustrating. No one has any clue why they removed Nicknames? There's nickname generators out there for heaven sakes.
Nickname generators are made by 3rd parties. And they all were created back in the day display names where used everywhere. Time has changed...

Why they removed the display names is explained here:
CookieRevised's reply to Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.
RE: RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Razza on 10-26-2010 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Nickname generators are made by 3rd parties. And they all were created back in the day display names where used everywhere. Time has changed...

Why they removed the display names is explained here:
CookieRevised's reply to Taking away display names is HORRIBLE.

Yeah, I know its changed, I do realise it's third parties but when we all got over the stupid fonts and emoticons riddled in our names, just having a first name as our name, or some custom characters was nice.

I'm reading the link now. It's just the fact that like a lot of people, my messenger is casual yet email needs to have my full name. Even just being able to customise them separately would be nice.
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Rem0rse on 10-26-2010 at 09:20 PM

D'you think that there will be a script made for the new plus that allows this?

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by CookieRevised on 10-26-2010 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rem0rse
D'you think that there will be a script made for the new plus that allows this?
No, that will never happen since that is impossible.

As you can read in many threads about this subject, a script can not add this again. The display name feature is/was a feature of the online Windows Live Services and depends on the protocol of these services. Messenger is just a progam which taps in into these services and their protocols. In order to change it one needs to change the underlying policies/protocols.

So, an addon for Messenger can not change anything in that regards; the change must come from MS itself and has an impact not only in Messenger but on every online service related to Windows Live (which are quite a lot of things btw).

One can only hope MS listens to the many complaints and, not unimportant!, that the percentage of users complaining or not liking the current situation is enough (it is not because 10000 people complain that it means the other 3 billion Messenger users -or whatever the number is- agree with it).

;)
RE: RE: RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by yaxxe on 11-14-2010 at 12:54 AM

quote:

But I cant even downgrade, it's like v. 2009 has completely disappeared, and 2011 is everywhere. If we could hide the crap social things, and change our Nicknames without having to change our email names, I wouldn't care.

Don't worry. I've got an installation file for the WLM 09 on my harddrive...
Should I Share it with U? :)
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by CookieRevised on 11-14-2010 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by yaxxe
quote:

Don't worry. I've got an installation file for the WLM 09 on my harddrive...
Should I Share it with U? :)
Please don't... There is absolutely no reason to share such stuff. Moreover, he already got an appropiate answer to his questions/comments from Nagamasa.

As you can read in many threads and posts on this forum: People can still download WLM 2009 from the official Microsoft/Messenger site:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by EvilDragon on 11-16-2010 at 01:21 AM

Wow WLM is really starting to turn into crap.

I'm staying on 2009 for as long as it takes, and if Microsoft does the same thing they did to 8.5, I'll show 'em the finger and get another program. M$ is being delusional. EVERYBODY knows me by my nickname, and I want it to stay that way, with pretty black to red MSN+ gradient. Fu**ers!

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by Long Con on 01-20-2011 at 05:12 PM

Don't listen to anyone who says you can't downgrade.  I just did it - use this link: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...-version-2009.531/

It worked, and my name is back to what it has been for the last 10 years.

Microsoft, you suck so bad!  You can't suck this bad without TRYING to suck!

I had to ditch my Hotmail account when it started rejecting some emails I was sending as spam.  MY f*cking emails that I wrote!  It's truly a company of retards.

RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by blessedguy on 01-20-2011 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Long Con
Don't listen to anyone who says you can't downgrade.  I just did it - use this link: http://www.forumvancouver.com/threads/windows-liv...-version-2009.531/

I had to ditch my Hotmail account when it started rejecting some emails I was sending as spam.  MY f*cking emails that I wrote!  It's truly a company of retards.
Nobody said it isn't possible. Nagamasa's reply to WL Messenger 2011 Display Name

Also, your friends using Windows Live Messenger 2011 will still see the name set in profile.live.com, you can change it in that same adress.
RE: WL Messenger 2011 Display Name by CookieRevised on 01-20-2011 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Long Con

Instead of shouting and flaming, it might help to read some official docs and/or other posts on this forum (eg: two post before yours, the official link to version 2009 was already given - which was already the second time in this thread btw -)

Thus, for the third time: Windows Live Messenger 2009 is still available from the main official download site of Messenger:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP
or
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger?os=winxp

It will even automatically redirect you to the 2009 version if it detects your OS as being XP.

-----------

As for
quote:
That is either your own fault (making your email public and thus prone to abuse), or the fault of those spammers, or the too high-risk settings of the recipients' mail servers. Either way, it is not the fault of Microsoft though! And if you have a dispute over it, you can always contact Microsoft about it. That is why there are help lines and help centers. Note: every decent mail service has one, and should be contacted when you have such troubles.