Shoutbox

HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. (/showthread.php?tid=95368)

HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 08-31-2010 at 01:50 AM

Hello. Just yesterday and minutes ago I added 2 of my friends. Upon adding they became blocked. Is there a bug?

I did tried to unblock by clicking and they are unblocked. But it is really also unblocked over at their end?

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chris4 on 08-31-2010 at 02:37 AM

The problem you describe is occuring because you've probably previously added your friends to your contacts list in the past, but then blocked and deleted them. So, when you re-add them, they will be blocked until you unblock them again, which you've now done.

So the answer to your question is - yes, they are now unblocked. If they accept your request and haven't blocked you, you'll then be able to chat to them when they sign in.

Please note: You've incorrectly posted this in the Messenger Plus! bug reports forum. Your problem is with Windows Live Messenger, not Messenger Plus!. If you believe a bug exists in WLM, a report should be made to its developers. I've requested this to be moved to the correct support forum.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 08-31-2010 at 04:19 AM

No i didn't add them before. That was a fresh new add. Could it be a recent virus? Sorry for the wrong post in here

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chrissy on 08-31-2010 at 05:07 AM

If you think it is a virus, scan your computer with anti-virus software & Anti-Malware.

Once you have done this, change your WLM password and your secret question. If the problem doesn't happen after that, you should be fine.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chris4 on 08-31-2010 at 01:36 PM

Highly undoubtful that there's a virus which blocks Messenger contacts...

Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware if you like.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-02-2010 at 05:03 PM

help! the problem is still there! i just add my friend(new account) it's auto blocked!

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chris4 on 09-02-2010 at 05:46 PM

Go to Tools > Options > Privacy. Check your allow and block list.

On the block list, you should only see the contacts you've blocked.

See anything out of the ordinary?

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Punks on 09-03-2010 at 01:58 AM

I've been having this same problem and haven't found a solution yet. Every time I add a new contact it's instantly blocked on my side and my friends side.

The problem began because I was having difficulties adding new people.  A lot of times when i added a new contact it said--
"You're done!...This Windows Live Service isn't available right now, but we'll add xxx@hotmail.com to your contacts as soon as the service is available again."

IT NEVER DID, even when i know that they are on. Looking for a solution to this problem i read somewhere else that deleting the contacts cache folder could fix the problem, so I did it but still I couldn't add contacts so I went to the recycle bin and restored the contacts folder and that's when the problem began. I noticed many of my contacts were blocked and every time I added a new contact it was instantly blocked. Now having these two problems I read that deleting the shared folder in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\Communications Client could fix it but still I'm having this problem.

If someone can help thanks in advance

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chrissy on 09-03-2010 at 03:29 AM

I can confirm myself this has just happened to me too. Also, I've noticed those dodgy spam bots that I've blocked can still talk to me fine. There is no way for me to stop this :zippy:

Using the latest stable WLM.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Kyriakin on 09-03-2010 at 05:00 AM

I've had the same problem.

For ages could not add anyone, and it said it would add them later (but never did, because the contacts had the yellow error message in their contact details forever after this).

Now, when I add a new contact, they appear as blocked.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-03-2010 at 05:54 PM

seems like im not the other one, any help ?

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by UPD4T3 on 09-03-2010 at 08:52 PM

I've had the same problem, but just recently fixed it (kind of a simple fix too).

Tools -> Options... -> Privacy -> Allow "All Others"

Should fix it.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Punks on 09-04-2010 at 01:42 AM

Update:
I followed the instructions found on the second post of this thread:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=68265&pid=752237

I did a complete uninstall of WLM just like it said there and then reinstalled WLM. This appeared to have solved the problem at first. Every time I add a contact now is not instantly blocked so that's an improvement, but now I can't receive any requests of people that want to add me. Also I noticed the contacts I added after the reinstallation were nowhere to be found.

I just logged in to WLM and received add requests of all the contacts that were gone and everything appears to be working smoothly.

Another update:
It's still instantly blocking the contacts.

RE: RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-04-2010 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UPD4T3
I've had the same problem, but just recently fixed it (kind of a simple fix too).

Tools -> Options... -> Privacy -> Allow "All Others"

Should fix it.

but is this a quick fix for that moment(till the next add)? or a perm fix??
RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by CookieRevised on 09-05-2010 at 05:43 AM

It is actually neither...

Changing that settings actually alters your privacy settings. That this would solve the problem is only a (strange?) side effect, and it might make things even worse (not the blocking, but other/spam problems!!!).

When you allow "All Others" in the Allow list, or if you disable the option "only people in my contact list can see my status", you'll actually disable invitation requests. This also means you enable everybody (incl. complete strangers!) to automatically add you (without any notification/confirmation), see your status, contact you, etc...

Aka: setting that privacy option it no solution at all. You will only hide the problem.

I suggest you post your issues in the Windows Live Solution Center (in a new thread; only if there isn't an existing thread; always search forums first).

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-05-2010 at 04:41 PM

ok anyone has any solution? seem like this is my second question posted in this forum and till then i seem to have no answer to either.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by leper1983 on 09-05-2010 at 07:18 PM

I'd say go into your privacy settings and look and see if anything is set wrong.. then logout and uninstall wlm

after go into your "Program Files/Data" folders and remove any files left over which is under the C:\ "wlm related"

next go into the "C:\Users\WHATEVERUSERNAMEHERE\AppData" folder and locate any other files left over.. look in the "Microsoft" "Windows Live" folders for anything to do with messenger and remove

Hopefully it removes any leftover files associated with messenger then install again and cross your fingers :)

BTW I'm just assuming your using 7 or Vista for the file directorys.. xp uses "Documents and Settings" i think instead of "Users"

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by radiorog on 09-05-2010 at 09:20 PM

Hi all,
I'm having the same problem. New cintacts this week have all been blocked automatically. Has happened 3 times. And I don't think some of the invitation notifications have been sent. It looks like this is a recent problem going by you guys, and not seeing anywhere else. Would love to get it sorted!

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by radiorog on 09-05-2010 at 09:45 PM

Hi guys,
might have a solution here:
http://www.windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?thread...-ab51-29cd33d11786

I've followed the steps but not had the chance to add any new contacts yet, but looks like a windows approved fix.

Fingers crossed.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chrissy on 09-07-2010 at 07:30 PM

This error usually occurs when the cache files of Windows Live Messenger on your computer gets corrupted.

According to the help team you have to follow this:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-a035-08378a5dd609

I still think it's a bit weird all our cache files got corrupted at the same time.

RE: RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-09-2010 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
This error usually occurs when the cache files of Windows Live Messenger on your computer gets corrupted.

According to the help team you have to follow this:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-a035-08378a5dd609

I still think it's a bit weird all our cache files got corrupted at the same time.

hey Chrissy, i have followed and tried exactly the steps but unfortunately, the error is still there! Newly added contacts are blocked.
RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by xtremescy on 09-10-2010 at 05:28 PM

i just did a clean remove n install but the problem is still there

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by bks on 09-12-2010 at 04:40 AM

I'm afraid I have this problem aswell. Any updates or fixes for this?

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by NoWhereMan on 09-12-2010 at 02:57 PM

My guess it is a WLM network problem, since I have both an old and a fresh account showing strange behaviors with new and old contacts (they appear offline to me, sometimes I appear offline to them, messages can't be delivered,...)

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by Chrissy on 09-12-2010 at 03:00 PM

It's happening to everyone I know. Maybe it's a new security feature? (H)

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by candycake on 09-12-2010 at 04:29 PM

that happened to me alot,, i guess i'm not the only one:p

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by NoWhereMan on 09-13-2010 at 03:47 PM

ok, here is my guess, there is not a "blocked" status anymore on WLM2011, they are then using the blocked flag for something else;

in particular, I think they are trying to link the profiles (along with their "social updates") to the WLM contacts. If you and your contact can't see online each other (you or him/her) try and see if one of you has a pending friend request on his/her live profile.

I think your contact appears to you as "blocked" when (s)he hasn't still accepted you on his/her live profile.

Once accepted, both of you log out and back in, and see if something has changed.

While the change (similar to what Facebook does, only on FB you accept the friend request once and for all) makes sense, it makes very little sense to do it like this.

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by POBOX on 09-24-2010 at 11:28 PM

I experience the same problem... i recently formatted and reinstalled three computers (2 desktops, 1 laptop) and on all three i downloaded the latest version of Live Messenger. Onfortunately, all three computers have this same problem (doesn't matter wich user is logged in) of blocking new contacts after adding them. That is, the new concact appears with a red line through his status-icon. When I right click the contact's name, i can only choose: "block"... so somehow Live Messenger knows I did not really block it. Choosing block and immediately after that unblocking the contact solves the problem, but that's not a solution but a work around :)

any ideas or official Live Messenger announcements known?

RE: HELP! MSN auto blocked newly added accounts. by NoWhereMan on 09-30-2010 at 01:55 PM

POBOX, have you read my post?