Shoutbox

eStores? (Domain registering solved) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: eStores? (Domain registering solved) (/showthread.php?tid=95449)

eStores? (Domain registering solved) by Rolando on 09-12-2010 at 08:06 PM

I'm going to register a domain for a company my sister started, is godaddy.com the best place to go? I went there, and I also wanted e-mail addresses and hosting, and it added up to almost $100 ...

If that's what it's worth, I'm fine with it, but are there cheaper alternatives? I've never bought a domain before so I'm lost. I plan on making the website on Publisher :refuck:... I'm sure I can make it look good even with the crappy templates they have, I just have to change everything... I don't remember anything about coding in HTML :P

So.. what I'm looking for is:
- domain name
- e-mail (cheapest, doesn't have to be unlimited storage, 2GB I think is fine)
- hosting (again, it's not going to be a super fancy website, I'll just make it look good by designing it in Photoshop and then trying to recreate it in Publisher)

Help?

EDIT:

So I got the hosting and the domain, it's all set up. Now CookieRevised and I
want to know more about setting eShops on our sites... if anyone has done it, please speak up. Cookie found a great link which he posted, it's on page 2.. I'll attempt it during the weekend

RE: Domain registering.. by Nagamasa on 09-12-2010 at 08:12 PM

Vexxhost has ~$50/year plans that come with free domain?

RE: Domain registering.. by MeEtc on 09-12-2010 at 08:24 PM

From experience, do NOT get a dopmain name and hosting from the same place. Get a domain from a well known registrar (godaddy is fine, name.com is good too) and hosting from somewhere else

RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-12-2010 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Vexxhost has ~$50/year plans that come with free domain?

I found www.justhost.com, which has unlimited hosting, free domain, and gives me "$250 marketing credits".. The hosting adds up to 41.88/year (3.49/mo)... But no e-mail.

I'm looking at Vexxhost right now, Shared Web Hosting comes with e-mails, right? I see "high-end e-mail service" and it says "email aliases: unlimited"

And should I get private name servers? What does that mean exactly? If I don't when a person visits my website they'll see ns1.vexxhost.com somewhere?

I know, I know, I'm a noob.

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
From experience, do NOT get a dopmain name and hosting from the same place. Get a domain from a well known registrar (godaddy is fine, name.com is good too) and hosting from somewhere else
But it's free if I do it with the host! Why is it bad? I was going to pester you on WLM but you're not online :dodgy:
RE: Domain registering.. by Chrono on 09-12-2010 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
But it's free if I do it with the host! Why is it bad?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=95...d=997874#pid997874 ;) He's right.
RE: Domain registering.. by nimicitor on 09-12-2010 at 08:42 PM

GoDaddy is for sale so I would wait to see what happens to them.

http://gizmodo.com/5635642/godaddy-is-for-sale

RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-12-2010 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
But it's free if I do it with the host! Why is it bad?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=95...d=997874#pid997874 ;) He's right.

*shrug* He would've had to pay 10, goDaddy charges me 14 for a domain... but fine, you guys know best. Who should I register the domain with?

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
GoDaddy is for sale so I would wait to see what happens to them.

http://gizmodo.com/5635642/godaddy-is-for-sale

Who should I use then? Sorry, I really don't know.
RE: Domain registering.. by Chrono on 09-12-2010 at 08:47 PM

name.com maybe?
And for hosting, i dunno if dreamhost is still good. Dunno about the prices either, you should check it out

RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-12-2010 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
name.com maybe?
And for hosting, i dunno if dreamhost is still good. Dunno about the prices either, you should check it out

Dreamhost is 9 dollars a month :dodgy:
RE: Domain registering.. by Chrissy on 09-12-2010 at 09:08 PM

http://www.namecheap.com/

Is very cheap ;)

Also wherever you buy it from there's always a coupon code ;)

RE: Domain registering.. by prashker on 09-12-2010 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
MeEtc just failed at life, ignore him :p. A freak occurrence happened with him when he tried moving his domain away from his hosting plan (not at vexxhost). In reality it's very easy once you get the transfer auth code :p.

Go with Vexxhost (OMG REFERRAL). sonicsam.net and addon domains have been with them for years :p. I've never had problems that weren't fixable.

quote:
- domain name
Free with vexxhost plan (even the cheapest).
quote:
- e-mail (cheapest, doesn't have to be unlimited storage, 2GB I think is fine)
Google Apps Standard (free), point the MX servers for email to Google and you can access gmail at mail.<your domain>.com for example (with CNAMES). All changeable in the cPanel for your domain.

[Image: apps_35392.png]

You are currently using 438 MB (5%) of your 7493 MB.
7.5GB should be enough email storage. Alternatively you can run email using vexxhost's mx servers, but meh :cheesy:

:zippy:
RE: Domain registering.. by Menthix on 09-12-2010 at 09:30 PM

I wouldn't let the GoDaddy sale affect your decision. They are a healthy business doing fine, just the owner cashing in. On the other hand, I wouldn't go with GoDaddy for other reasons. Godaddy is big on the upselling, their site seems to be one giant ad. You'll come to them for just a domain and they'll try to sell you loads of services you don't need.

Name.com, NameCheap, Hover.com are generally advised as decent places to get domains. I don't have firsthand experience with any of them though, using a Dutch registrar for all my domains myself.. And I also recommend getting domains and hosting from separate places. Anybody who ever ran into issues with their hoster probably will.

Don't worry about E-mail. I personally use Google Apps for all my domains to provide mail accounts. Gives you GMail account but @yourowndomain.com. This can also be a reason why you wouldn't want the domain from the hoster itself. Some hosters do not give you full control over the domain and don't allow you to configure MX records, maki g it impossible to use Google Apps on that domain.

Which just leaves you to find a hoster. If you don't need much, they is an ocean of them to drown in.

RE: Domain registering.. by MeEtc on 09-13-2010 at 01:24 AM

I have fixed my problem finally relating to the above link, and have hosting with name.com now. Price was $7.75 for a year and found a promo code for private whois (meaning your name and contact info, email and mailing address aren't publically visible)

RE: Domain registering.. by prashker on 09-13-2010 at 02:08 AM

FREEWHOIS for those who are too lazy to google :p.

RE: Domain registering.. by Lou on 09-13-2010 at 03:35 PM

Personally I have a setup with vexxhost and my domains from name.com. I also use google apps for email and it's fantastic. (i.e. the same setup as SonicSam). I've had next to no problems (i.e. the problems were usually/almost always my fault :P).

RE: Domain registering.. by CookieRevised on 09-13-2010 at 03:55 PM

This is off topic, but when you guys (Sam, Lou) say you point the MX servers for email to Google Apps, how does the 'To'-header in the recieved emails appear then? Is it blah@yourdomain.com or is it blah@gmail.com?

I'm noob too in regards to this stuff... but as it happens, also looking to change hosts (Belgian hosts though and Windows hosting - asp-) or something because of the limited mailboxes and way to expensive extra mailboxes. As it is now everything (hosting, domain name, etc) is provided by one (expensive, though extremely reliable) hosting company. Domain name itself will still be registered thru that company in the near future though, since a dumbo (not me) recently payed for 5 more years of registration with them. But I want to change everything else to something cheaper.

RE: Domain registering.. by Chrissy on 09-13-2010 at 04:24 PM

It appears as everything is to/from @domain.com.

RE: Domain registering.. by ipab on 09-13-2010 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is off topic, but when you guys (Sam, Lou) say you point the MX servers for email to Google Apps, how does the 'To'-header in the recieved emails appear then? Is it blah@yourdomain.com or is it blah@gmail.com?

I'm noob too in regards to this stuff... but as it happens, also looking to change hosts (Belgian hosts though and Windows hosting - asp-) or something because of the limited mailboxes and way to expensive extra mailboxes. As it is now everything (hosting, domain name, etc) is provided by one (expensive, though extremely reliable) hosting company. Domain name itself will still be registered thru that company in the near future though, since a dumbo (not me) recently payed for 5 more years of registration with them. But I want to change everything else to something cheaper.

When you use google to host your mail (ie. change the mx records), you have to register for the google apps account and then setup your email through them. From then on, you can access your email through the gmail interface, but your email address is still whatever domain you provide it. I use it on almost all my domains and it's awesome!

There are some drawbacks to using gmail, but I don't think it applies to you since it has more to do with control over email such as backups and so on...
RE: Domain registering.. by ShawnZ on 09-13-2010 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lou
Personally I have a setup with vexxhost and my domains from name.com. I also use google apps for email and it's fantastic. (i.e. the same setup as SonicSam). I've had next to no problems (i.e. the problems were usually/almost always my fault :P).

i vote for everything suggested here.

quote:

you actually use mail.google.com/a/[yourdomain] to access email from google apps (or mail.yourdomain if you set up the proper CNAME records), not gmail (google apps user accounts are not google accounts) -- so everything in the UI is pretty much custom tailored to your domain, and your user on that google apps domain has no actual google accounts equivalent (so you don't even get an @gmail.com address to send from, just an @yourdomain).

example

RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-13-2010 at 11:55 PM

Thanks guys. The website is up and running.. now I've to figure out how to add an eStore. I heard "Magento" was the best one, though Fantastico offers OS Commerce, Zen Market, and CubeCart (of which I read OS Commerce is the best?)

I also need to come up with a fancier design, it's pretty basic now but I had barely any stuff to add as the store is not open yet. If anyone knows anything about adding an eStore let me know, though it doesn't sound all that complicated, I'll attempt it in the weekend.

Thanks again, especially SonicSpam whom I constantly hassle <3 I'll fix that jew nose one day for a discounted price :)

RE: Domain registering.. by CookieRevised on 09-14-2010 at 01:43 AM

Thanks for all the info in regards to the MX records and Google App connection. I'll look into it (I only need forwarding and/or aliassing anyways though, not realy mailboxes and mail storage)

quote:
If anyone knows anything about adding an eStore let me know
I'm interested too...

But more about how customers would pay for stuff.
I can create an eStore myself, but just the payment stuff is not doable to do it yourself (if you want creditcard, etc possebilities) without paying big money per year to the credit card companies/banks. So if there is a service out there which provides cheap ways of doing that, I'm interested...
RE: Domain registering.. by prashker on 09-14-2010 at 02:13 AM

quote:
So if there is a service out there which provides cheap ways of doing that, I'm interested...
I know in PayPal you can create a payment button that allows both PayPal and Credit Card (via PayPal) payments.

[Image: paywith_23543.png]
RE: Domain registering.. by ipab on 09-14-2010 at 06:46 AM

quote:
I can create an eStore myself, but just the payment stuff is not doable to do it yourself (if you want creditcard, etc possebilities) without paying big money per year to the credit card companies/banks. So if there is a service out there which provides cheap ways of doing that, I'm interested...

Like Sam suggested, Paypal is an option but I suggest you look at Google Checkout too :)
RE: Domain registering.. by CookieRevised on 09-14-2010 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:

Like Sam suggested, Paypal is an option but I suggest you look at Google Checkout too :)
Haven't look at the paypal option yet, but Google Checkout is not exactly what I need. Google Checkout does not provide direct credit card payments; you need to create an account, just like when you want to pay with paypal. Idealy I need a service where customers can pay by credit card, wire/bank transfer, etc, (and where the money goes to a bank account), without the need for the customers to create all kinds of (yet other) accounts.  Thanks though, I'll sure keep this in mind...

/me feels bad for hijacking thread though...maybe split is at hand
RE: Domain registering.. by Th3rmal on 09-14-2010 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Google Apps Standard (free), point the MX servers for email to Google and you can access gmail at mail.<your domain>.com for example (with CNAMES). All changeable in the cPanel for your domain.

[Image: apps_35392.png]

How did you manage your email with google using vexxhost?
RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-14-2010 at 09:22 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ipab
quote:

Haven't look at the paypal option yet, but Google Checkout is not exactly what I need. Google Checkout does not provide direct credit card payments; you need to create an account, just like when you want to pay with paypal. Idealy I need a service where customers can pay by credit card, wire/bank transfer, etc, (and where the money goes to a bank account), without the need for the customers to create all kinds of (yet other) accounts.  Thanks though, I'll sure keep this in mind...

/me feels bad for hijacking thread though...maybe split is at hand

You're not hijacking the thread, don't worry, at this point we've the same questions.

From what I've read, you just upload the required files to get your shop running, Magento even has a single-file upload and then you give it permissions and it installs the rest. From that point on you've to choose which company will be the one processing the requests. There's several.

Like Sam said Paypal is an option. All of them charge commission, I think Paypal's was 2% + $7 per month or something along those lines. Amazon also has one and they have a package which will also list all your store's products on amazon.com. Then there's some other companies which I can't really recall atm, but it's pretty much the same concept (there's authorize.net, 2checkout.com, worldpay, bluepay, etc.)
RE: Domain registering.. by CookieRevised on 09-14-2010 at 09:40 AM

In regards to the credit card payment system, I just found this:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/creditcards.shtml
explains everything so far said and more.

edit:
Dug around in Paypal for merchants too... Seems to be more what I'm looking for. As SonicSam showed, it gives the customer the ability to pay by credit card without the need to register or login into an account (they still can though, and that on its turn gives the ability to pay via their PayPal account). Which is exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find the same thing but where they also can pay with wire/bank transfer :D

RE: Domain registering.. by prashker on 09-14-2010 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
How did you manage your email with google using vexxhost?

Er? I went to cPanel on my domain, MX Configuration page for MX Records and Simple DNS whatever for the CNAMES.

Not quite sure what you mean :zippy:

RE: Domain registering.. by Rolando on 09-14-2010 at 11:00 PM

quote:
In regards to the credit card payment system, I just found this:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/creditcards.shtml
explains everything so far said and more.

<3
RE: Domain registering.. by Hank on 09-15-2010 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
So if there is a service out there which provides cheap ways of doing that, I'm interested...
I know in PayPal you can create a payment button that allows both PayPal and Credit Card (via PayPal) payments.[Image: paywith_23543.png]
my computer store in sydney lets you pay via Paypal and other means. I've tried to suggest another place does it but they haven't done it :(