Shoutbox

MSN will not open - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN will not open (/showthread.php?tid=95864)

MSN will not open by jennyspider on 11-17-2010 at 06:19 PM

I get this when i try to open the sign in page for the newest msn

'The application has failed to start because its side- by- side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail'

I have no idea what to do please can someone help?

RE: MSN will not open by Spunky on 11-17-2010 at 06:36 PM

You're going to need to open Windows Event Viewer so that you can see when these errors started and what else happened around that time. There are reports of this error message with many different programs so it is not something specifically wrong with WLM, just that something has caused a problem with one of it's files.

Usually in this situation, a re-install will not help.

RE: MSN will not open by jennyspider on 11-17-2010 at 06:38 PM

how do you open windows event viewer?

RE: MSN will not open by x2zen on 11-17-2010 at 07:39 PM

Either open the start menu, type "Event viewer" and hit enter.
or
Click Start -> Control Panel -> System and security
Under "Administrative tools" you'll see "View event logs"

RE: MSN will not open by jennyspider on 11-17-2010 at 09:01 PM

so what should i do when iv got that up cus i have no idea how to solve the problem :/

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-19-2010 at 11:37 PM

We need to know what OS you're using. If you're looking for diagnostic help, more information is better.

Here's a step by step diagnostic approach for Vista and W7:
1.) Click on Start Menu.
2.) Search for "eve" (OR locate Event Viewer under programs) and launch the Event Viewer.
3.) In the resulting window, the left hand pane has several categories. Select "Windows Logs" and then "Application" from the drop down.
4.) In the center pane double click on "Application".
5.) Search for the error event that pertains to your problem and record the event ID#.

I'm willing to bet money that the Event ID is either 78 or 33.

An event with ID 78 will have the following wording:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "" on line. A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are: <HERE IS WHERE THE COMPONENTS ARE LISTED>"

If you have an event with ID 33:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly <ASSEMBLY IS MENTIONED HERE> could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

If you can establish what the Event ID is and what file(s) in the Winsxs folder are giving your MSN grief, I might be able to help.

Cheers.

RE: MSN will not open by jennyspider on 11-20-2010 at 01:19 PM

Thankyou :)
I got "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

and the event ID is 33

RE: RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-20-2010 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jennyspider
I got "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

and the event ID is 33

Hi, Jenny.

It appears that you don't have the Visual C++ Redistributable required for MSN, but that may not be your fault, and it may not even be true.

**I assume that you're using Vista 32 bit because you didn't supply me with an OS and you used the steps I outlined for Vista.**

I'm sure that you've most likely attempted this, but we're going to try and update the files that contain the Visual C++ DLLs that are used in the side by side manifest of msnmsgr.exe.

Click on your Start Menu.
Click on Control Panel.
Under "Programs" click on "Uninstall a program".
The programs window will then compile all of the programs installed on your computer. You want to scroll down until you locate any entry with the following:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x## #.#.#####.##

If you find one or more files there, make a note of them. We will try and fix the problem here and now, but if it doesn't work, I need you to give me all the information you can.

Leave this window open, and don't uninstall anything.

The next step is to download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Service Pack.

Install each of those, in the order downloaded and AS AN ADMINISTRATOR, and you should be fine.

If this does not fix the problem, we will need to uninstall and reinstall some things.

With your Uninstall Programs window still open (Ahhh, see why we left it open?) Uninstall each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 entries that you find. Following this, we need to uninstall Microsoft Live Messenger itself, this can be accomplished by scrolling down in your "Uninstall Programs" window to "Windows Live Essentials 2011" (Assuming you're using 2011). Double click on this entry and uninstall EVERY WINDOWS LIVE PROGRAM in the window that comes up.

Following this, you should restart your computer.

Once booted up, reinstall Windows Live Messenger, and then each of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 redistributables that I linked to above.

This should fix your problem for you.

If it didn't, then there is another step we can try.

If this worked for you, please be sure to tell us exactly what you did so that others with this problem can find the solution as well.

If this didn't work for you, tell me what programs you found under the Uninstall Programs window for your Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables.

Hope that works.

Keep me posted, we'll get this fixed.

-BA.
RE: MSN will not open by jennyspider on 11-20-2010 at 10:47 PM

Thankyou soooo much :D it works now :)
I uninstalled all the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
and MSN and then i restarted i also installed the links then decided to uninstall them after my rebooting then downloaded msn again and it worked :)

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-20-2010 at 11:17 PM

Excellent to hear!

Microsoft hasn't provided nearly enough support for this problem, and the problem is almost certainly on their end.

Every user that I know of who has encountered this has had no idea how to fix it and Microsoft has provided little to no legitimate support for it.

Glad I could help you get this fixed.

-BA

RE: MSN will not open by freakystely on 11-21-2010 at 04:12 AM

I have the same problem, however I'm faced with error 78. Might someone be able to post a solution for my route?

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-21-2010 at 10:52 PM

Freakystely, you need to provide more information than simply error 78.

Despite the misleading error message of Side by Side, your event 78 is different from event 33.

Specifically, what conflict are you seeing in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried uninstalling your VC++ 2008 redistributables and then reinstalling them?

RE: RE: MSN will not open by freakystely on 11-22-2010 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by freakystely
I have the same problem, however I'm faced with error 78. Might someone be able to post a solution for my route?

\Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.

That's the information that it gives me when I check my event viewer
RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-22-2010 at 09:00 PM

Freakystely, have you tried the fix above?

If so, what Visual Basic C++ Redistributables do you have?

Here's my suggestion (this has worked for another user on these forums):
1.) Uninstall ALL of your Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributables.
2.) Uninstall the entire Windows Live Essentials Package, then Restart.
3.) Reinstall Windows Live Messenger (Try running it to see if it works).
4.) Reinstall Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributable 2008 and 2008 (SP1)

Hopefully that helps.

If it doesn't, please let me know and we'll suss out a new approach or any flaws in this one.

Remember to always install as an administrator.

RE: RE: MSN will not open by fresh00 on 11-24-2010 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BandAid3030
Freakystely, have you tried the fix above?

If so, what Visual Basic C++ Redistributables do you have?

Here's my suggestion (this has worked for another user on these forums):

Hopefully that helps.

If it doesn't, please let me know and we'll suss out a new approach or any flaws in this one.

Remember to always install as an administrator.

I had the same problem and just did as was instructed and now it works. Just a question though do I need  that Microsoft Visual Basic C++ Redistributable 2008 and 2008 (SP1). I don't know if the same problem will happen if I download that it again
RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-24-2010 at 02:43 AM

Hi, fresh00.

Those redistributables are required for any program that was created using them.

The problem here was most likely that something updated one of the manifests or DLLs in the winsxs folder, resulting in the side by side error received.

The uninstall and reinstall process simply rebooted the linkage used in the winsxs manifests and DLLs.

That's as simple as I can make it, anyway.

At any rate, you do need these redistributables and they shouldn't pose you any further problem. However, if they do, just repeat the solution here or come back looking for help.

Cheers.

-BA

RE: MSN will not open by mathguy on 11-24-2010 at 04:18 PM

BA,

I am having the same problem, quite suddenly actually and I tried your solution but it did not work for me.  I am a developer and have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed and have to have them both installed.  I believe that by using VS 2008 yesterday for the first time in the past 10 days or so this problem started.  Is there a potential conflict by having both the 2005 and 2008 distributables installed at the same time?  If so, why is this suddenly a problem?  I've had both dev environments installed for months (years?) with no issue before.  Ideas?

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-24-2010 at 04:55 PM

Hi, Mathguy.

**To start with, I should make it clear that I'm not a developed or programmer. I have a smattering of introductory C++, but for all intents and purposes I'm applying my elementary knowledge of Microsoft's SxS in trying to solve these problems.**

I had both 2005 and 2008 Redistributables installed as well.

To my knowledge, the 2005 Redistributables don't write to the same DLLs that the 2008 redistributables do (ie. the VC90 folders under Winsxs), so I don't anticipate that a true conflict exists.

However, after numerous attempts to solve these problems myself, I decided to attempt a "tabula rasa" approach with the DLLs and just delete all of the Redistributables and Windows Live Essentials. That worked for me and appears to have worked for most others.

If you've already attempted this, I would suggest uninstalling VS 2005 and 2008 as well so that you can rebuild the DLL cache by reinstalling with the hope that the manifest for WLM will identify the correct side by side configuration.

These errors seem to be almost spontaneous in nature. I can't determine the origins of mine, and, to the best of my knowledge, those that I've helped with this had it spontaneously occur to them as it did to me. Perhaps an update was released on through WLE that created an issue in the WLM manifest?

Let me know if this helped.

-BA

RE: MSN will not open by huggybear on 11-25-2010 at 09:32 PM

Hello, i have a similair problem as the one posted at the top, the only difference is the error message i get in the event viewer, while theirs says Dependant Assembly etc... mine says this: (Eitherway i would rly like some help on how to solve this!)   
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-25-2010 at 09:36 PM

Have you tried the fixes that are found in this thread, Huggybear?

You're being given Event 78.

Please take the time to read the thread and attempt the solutions posted to prevent duplication of solution steps.

Cheers.

-BA

RE: MSN will not open by huggybear on 11-25-2010 at 09:52 PM

But i dont know where find my VIsual C++ files :S

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-25-2010 at 09:58 PM

Just read the entire thread.

On the first page there are detailed explanations of how to go about solving this, including how to uninstall your C++ Redistributables.

RE: MSN will not open by huggybear on 11-25-2010 at 10:00 PM

Cheers

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-25-2010 at 10:06 PM

If the problem persists once you've run through the steps outlined, let us know and I'm sure that we can solve this problem.

Be sure to follow the instructions here as closely as possible and then provide us with exactly what steps you've undertaken to correct the situation.

Also, if you can provide us with the OS you're running, etc. it would be beneficial to your situation.

Cheers.

-BA

Update...

I suppose that the solutions proposed worked for you, Huggybear?

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-29-2010 at 05:23 PM

Heya,

I am having the same problem as well, I have uninstalled all my Visuals (the 2008 and 2005 ones), as well as Visual ++ CC (I think).

I did all the steps taken countless times but to no avail........

My problem event is 78.

Thank you........

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-29-2010 at 05:34 PM

The steps taken are:
1. Uninstall all the visual programs (2008 and 2005) and visual ++C
2. Uninstall Windows Live Essential Beta (everything in it)
3. Re-boot
4. Reinstalled Windows Live Messenger (and Movie Maker and Photo Gallery)
5. Re-installed the 2008 Visuals (as were given on the first page of this thread)
6. Tried to open WLM. But the error message still pops out.

The event is 78, am using Windows Vista.

PLease help me out..............................

Thank you

RE: MSN will not open by mathguy on 11-29-2010 at 05:48 PM

I still have the problem as well.  Nothing seems to solve it.

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-30-2010 at 02:04 AM

Try repeating the steps, but do not reinstall the 2008 Redistributables.

1. Uninstall all the visual programs (2008 and 2005) and visual ++C
2. Uninstall Windows Live Essential Beta (everything in it)
3. Re-boot
4. Reinstalled Windows Live Messenger (and Movie Maker and Photo Gallery)
5. Run Windows Live Messenger

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-30-2010 at 11:04 AM

I tried the steps suggested mate, but still to no avail...............

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-30-2010 at 11:39 AM

The only other solution that I can suggest is for you to try and edit your manifest with Resource Tuner:

1.) A simple Google search will yield Resource Tuner, and, after installing, the msnmsgr.exe file is opened with Resource Tuner.
2.) The manifest option is expanded in the left pane to show the manifest for msnmsgr.exe as "1".
3.) Click on this manifest and then press "Ctrl+Shift+E" to open the manifest editor.
4.) At this point, all I did was isolate the code in the manifest that pointed to version 9.0.30729.1 and changed it to 9.0.30729.4148.

ie:
<dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity
                type="win32"
                name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
                version="9.0.30729.4148"
                processorArchitecture="x86"
                publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"
            />
        </dependentAssembly>

BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR msnmsgr.exe FILE BEFORE EDITING!

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-30-2010 at 11:47 AM

Ok, will try it, but how do i back up the file?

am sorry for asking too much mate :(

RE: RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 11-30-2010 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by knuckle555
Ok, will try it, but how do i back up the file?

am sorry for asking too much mate :(

Just copy the file in your MSN folder and then paste it to your desktop.

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-30-2010 at 12:10 PM

thanks,

right, i've tried to change from .1 to .4148 but somehow, it says that the original file is packed, sth like that :(

:(((

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 11-30-2010 at 10:10 PM

i can't save it from .1 to .4148

:(

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 12-01-2010 at 01:21 AM

If you're not an administrator on your computer, then none of the solutions presented will work.

Run everything as an administrator and it should work.

RE: MSN will not open by knuckle555 on 12-03-2010 at 10:44 PM

still not working mate.

what happens essentially now is that the program is deleted by windows after an attempt to run the program is made

RE: MSN will not open by riffy on 12-05-2010 at 01:20 PM

HI anyone?
i have trouble to open my msn.. and it has an event id of 78..
anyone knows how to solve this ?

RE: MSN will not open by duck on 12-06-2010 at 01:24 PM

Hi BandAid3030,

i would really need your help.
i have the same problem with my messenger, i tryed everything you mentioned in the thread above but nothing seams to be working !!!! do you have any other solutions?

Exact Error 78 in the event log "\Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest."

Steps Taken are

As an admin, but did not work

then i tried the following
The only other solution that I can suggest is for you to try and edit your manifest with Resource Tuner:

1.) A simple Google search will yield Resource Tuner, and, after installing, the msnmsgr.exe file is opened with Resource Tuner.
2.) The manifest option is expanded in the left pane to show the manifest for msnmsgr.exe as "1".
3.) Click on this manifest and then press "Ctrl+Shift+E" to open the manifest editor.
4.) At this point, all I did was isolate the code in the manifest that pointed to version 9.0.30729.1 and changed it to 9.0.30729.4148.

ie:
<dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity
                type="win32"
                version="9.0.30729.4148"
            />
        </dependentAssembly>
also as an admin, but the file was saving as "Bak" and the original file remains, not sure what that means and if it affects anything.

please let me know if you or anyone els has any other solution to the problem, thanks

RE: MSN will not open by Jadesweetbox on 01-19-2011 at 01:09 PM

quote:

ie:
<dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity
                type="win32"
                version="9.0.30729.4148"
            />
        </dependentAssembly>

Hi I tried this and still no luck....any other back up plan?
RE: MSN will not open by mathguy on 01-19-2011 at 02:01 PM

I've not had any luck getting this fixed either.  I've tried every suggestion, etc.  Still nothing.

RE: RE: MSN will not open by megaboost on 02-15-2011 at 12:47 AM

quote:

ie:
<dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity
                type="win32"
                version="9.0.30729.4148"
            />
        </dependentAssembly>

I've done this but when I tried to save it I got this error:

[Image: msnrestunererror.th.jpg]

RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 02-23-2011 at 10:43 PM

I tried the steps of uninstall  Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Service Pack and win live msg and the re-install them all again but nothing new still the problem exists  :(:(:(

My  event with ID 78  have the following wording:
"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "" on line. A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components
are: <HERE IS WHERE THE COMPONENTS ARE LISTED>"

What to do??

RE: MSN will not open by megaboost on 02-24-2011 at 01:25 AM

Does anyone know if Microsoft have a fix for this yet? I've had a few Microsoft updates over the past few days but nothing has fixed this problem yet.

This is so frustrating! :@

RE: RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 02-24-2011 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Rora
  I tried the steps of uninstall  Visual C++ 2008 redistributable and the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Service Pack and win live msg and the re-install them all again but nothing new still the problem exists  :(:(:(

"Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "" on line. A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components

What to do??

I would like to tell u all guys that I had my problem fixed by system restore for a day before the problem occurance.
Thanks God.;)
So If U can do so go on. I sacrificed with my data and made it.
Good luck all
Wish that microsoft find a more easier and trusted way to solve the problem.
RE: RE: RE: MSN will not open by megaboost on 02-24-2011 at 08:00 PM

quote:
quote:

What to do??

I would like to tell u all guys that I had my problem fixed by system restore for a day before the problem occurance.
Thanks God.;)
So If U can do so go on. I sacrificed with my data and made it.
Good luck all
Wish that microsoft find a more easier and trusted way to solve the problem.

I understand what you say with Sys Restore but I've had this prob for about 2 weeks+ now and don't really want to lose 2 weeks of data just because Microsoft can't be bothered to fix this problem.  I'm using an alternative messenger until they decide to bring out a fix for this problem.

RE: RE: RE: RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 02-24-2011 at 08:07 PM

I understand what you say with Sys Restore but I've had this prob for about 2 weeks+ now and don't really want to lose 2 weeks of data just because Microsoft can't be bothered to fix this problem.  I'm using an alternative messenger until they decide to bring out a fix for this problem.

I see.
Sorry to hear that.I'm really wandering why microsoft doesn't post any reply to help in solving the problem!!!!:S
Did u tried all the steps posted?

What's your ID problem ?
Is it 33 or 78?

Again I hope to see a reply from microsoft soon
RE: MSN will not open by megaboost on 02-24-2011 at 10:15 PM

I tried everything posted here but with no success.

My ID Prob is 78.

Does this problem only seem to be with VISTA or do people running XP & 7 have the problem too?

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 02-25-2011 at 12:08 AM

That was my problem ID too and also I'm running win. vista home premium.

Please anyone can answer this issue don't hesitate to contact.(Y)

RE: MSN will not open by Arcticwolfx on 02-25-2011 at 04:03 AM

There seems to be no easy fix for this yet... the best advice I could give at this point is to do a complete format of the hard drive, reinstall your (functional) version of Windows, let it update completely and install Windows Live Messenger afterwards.

A format of the Hard drive [i]every so often[/ip] isn't a very bad thing to do.. I can understand it's annoying for some users though.

RE: MSN will not open by nmellor4 on 03-07-2011 at 09:41 AM

Okay I am having the same issue. I am running Windows Vista I did try uninstalling Micorsoft Visual C++ and Messenger and then reinstalling. I still get the same message. I have opened up my Event Viewer and this is the information it tells me.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          3/7/2011 1:40:35 AM
Event ID:      78
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Mellor
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">78</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-07T08:40:35.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>370326</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Mellor</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Please Help. Anymore information needed just ask I will get if for you.

RE: MSN will not open by megaboost on 03-07-2011 at 12:34 PM

My advice would be to either re-build Windows from scratch or use another messenger other than Windows Live.

Micro$oft know of this problem but can't be bothered to send out a fix. Isn't it just great that everything works fine until a Micro$oft windows update happens and then...... Obliteration!!!

Maybe its because I actually run my OpSys with a Geniune License? Maybe I should go get a hooky License...Maybe then it will work but then again who knows what goes on behind the walls of Micro$oft?

Also it is a free program from them... maybe that's why they can't be bothered?

Oh Well! back to Yahoo Messenger for me.... at least it works 100%

Good Luck everyone! I think you're gonna need it.

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 03-07-2011 at 04:40 PM

I would love to tell you that I've found a way to fix this, but I can't seem to find the correction required.

It appears that those affected are almost exclusively using Windows Vista, and Live Messenger 11 is built for Windows 7.

Try installing an older version of Messenger, such as Messenger 9 if you want to use Messenger.

-BA

RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 03-08-2011 at 01:16 AM

Do you mean that living with an old messenger is a good way to overcome the errors??
I don't think I can stand this.

I still have my problem back every now and then so I have to run system restore every time to fix it.

I think Microsoft should take a more active part.
This forum was made to post problems so as they would be able to help us.This must be found in the real world.

Saying that messenger 11 is designed for windows 7 isn't an excuse.

These all 6 pages aren't enough to try to find a solution of the error by Microsoft ??!!!!!!!!

RE: MSN will not open by BandAid3030 on 03-08-2011 at 05:15 AM

I'm not going to be servicing these threads anymore, because I've exhausted all of my knowledge on the subject and it appears that we're going to have to be patient with Microsoft or suffer through an older more Vista compatible version of Messenger.

Just a note, however, that these forums are not an extension of Microsoft. They are put together by some good people that love the software. Nobody on here should be the focus of your ire, and you may consider bringing more humility to the table when using their website to solve a problem that they have no hand in causing.

Maybe I have misinterpreted your post, but you seem to be a little belligerent.

RE: MSN will not open by nmellor4 on 03-08-2011 at 09:08 AM

I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and 2005 and have tried all the uninstalling and installing as suggested in this thread with no avail. I also did the system restore thing when this issued first came up but system restore would error out. Also I noticed that Visual c++ 2005 doesnt completely uninstall after I uninstal it I refresh my programs list and it is still no matter how many times I uninstall. I dont know if this might be why this fix doesnt work. Sorry I dont blame anyone for microsofts short comings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need to know the Visual C++ applications on my computer I can get them for you.

RE: RE: MSN will not open by longo on 05-10-2011 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jennyspider

and the event ID is 33

AND WHAT ABOUT IF THE ID is 78???

RE: MSN will not open by Dr.Rora on 05-11-2011 at 12:22 AM

Please longo, hurry up and do the system restore before doing it later losing much of your data.
The problem 78 is as mine and I rapidly do the system restore so as not to lose a lot of my data.
try it . GOOD LUCK (Y)

RE: MSN will not open by Macfe on 07-07-2011 at 03:34 PM

BandAid!!
Ive tryed post No.8 as you suggest! It didnt work... Help please!

RE: MSN will not open by Renatuh on 09-26-2012 at 06:28 PM

I have the same problem, I have Windows Vista 32, and the Windows live just simply stop working I used it everyday. Now today doesen't launch, It gives that error "configuration side-by-side bla blabla" and I searched in Event Viewer It apears me this:

Falha ao gerar o contexto de activação para "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe". Erro no ficheiro de manifesto ou de política  na linha . Uma versão de componente requerida pela aplicação entra em conflito com outra versão de componente já activa. Os componentes em conflito são:. Componente 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2.manifest. Componente 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada.manifest.

The ID is 78, sorry Im portuguese so my windows is in PT, let me know If u guys need me to translate the log thing I just copy paste it =X sorry.Hope u guys could help me, I need my msn back.