Shoutbox

New Sponsor: Norton - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: New Sponsor: Norton (/showthread.php?tid=95885)

New Sponsor: Norton by Chris4 on 11-20-2010 at 12:06 AM

I came home from university today for the weekend and while using my dads XP computer, was alerted of a Plus! update. While installing it, I came across this Norton Security Scan sponsor:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1003368]

I was surprised to find there wasn't any posts about it, so suppose it's a new trial?

:)

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by albert on 11-20-2010 at 12:38 AM

The title of the software seemed weird at first, but it seems to be a new free version of the Norton Anti-Virus.

I think it's interesting.

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-20-2010 at 12:54 AM

i wouldnt be touching Norton with a 10foot pole

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by blessedguy on 11-20-2010 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
wouldnt be touching Norton with a 10foot pole
join the club.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-20-2010 at 01:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
join the club.
last time i used Norton was there 2003 Antivirus, which i cant complain since i got it for free :p
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by blessedguy on 11-20-2010 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
last time i used Norton was there 2003 Antivirus, which i cant complain since i got it for free
I got it with my motherboard back in 2001 or 2002, never again.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Chrissy on 11-20-2010 at 12:29 PM

Norton is the worst anti-virus I have ever seen :(

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by djdannyp on 11-23-2010 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
i wouldnt be touching Norton with a 10foot pole
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Norton is the worst anti-virus I have ever seen :(

x3
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Fez on 11-24-2010 at 06:16 AM

Hey,
I usually prowl the forums and never really post much but your comments forced me to log in.

Guys from 2009 onwards Norton took a complete 180 degree turn. They have worked on every little thing that users complained about and have produced a fantastic product. I usually sit and review top ten antiviruses every year. I haven't tried Norton 2011 but yeah - Norton and Kaspersky are the top two now.

If you guys want a free solution go with Microsoft Security Essentials thats VERY good too.

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-24-2010 at 06:20 AM

why use Norton when Kaspersky is probably more trust worthy

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Chris4 on 11-24-2010 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
If you're experienced with computers and trust yourself to watch what you're doing, both of them aren't required.

Microsoft Security Essentials is much more simpler and doesn't bother you every 2 minutes with alerts like the other 2 do, however has just as good anti-virus engine to detect any infections, which is perfect for any experienced user.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-24-2010 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
If you're experienced with computers and trust yourself to watch what you're doing, both of them aren't required.

this is Microsoft Windows we are talking about? not Linux dude, im not gonna argue the point, its a bit like saying, " you dont need to have safe sex if you know what your doing" a condom isnt required.
RE: RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Fez on 11-25-2010 at 06:57 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

Microsoft Security Essentials is much more simpler and doesn't bother you every 2 minutes with alerts like the other 2 do, however has just as good anti-virus engine to detect any infections, which is perfect for any experienced user.

PFFT- I've heard that before from all kinds of "experienced users".

You NEED Norton Internet Security if you are on a network with other erm "experienced users" ;).
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Spunky on 11-25-2010 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fez
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ

PFFT- I've heard that before from all kinds of "experienced users".

You NEED Norton Internet Security if you are on a network with other erm "experienced users" ;).

This made me LOL. No-one needs an anti-virus if they make sure anybody using very network isn't a stupid SOB :p

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-25-2010 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
This made me LOL. No-one needs an anti-virus if they make sure anybody using very network isn't a stupid SOB :p
you cant Guarantee "everyone or anybody" Using a Network full of computers wont accidently download  a Virus. its a bit like me saying. lets use one of the computers at the pentagon but i know what im doing so i wont download a Virus. 
RE: RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Fez on 11-25-2010 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
you cant Guarantee "everyone or anybody" Using a Network full of computers wont accidently download  a Virus. its a bit like me saying. lets use one of the computers at the pentagon but i know what im doing so i wont download a Virus. 

Exactly!
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Spunky on 11-25-2010 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
you cant Guarantee "everyone or anybody" Using a Network full of computers wont accidently download  a Virus

And those people should use an antivirus.

If it's your own personal network and you can't trust people not to download viruses then there's a problem

As Chris4 said, Microsoft Security Essentials does a perfect job of protecting users rather than having to pay for Norton, which is what the original comment was about.

I still to this day can not understand why people pay upwards of £50 for an AV and FW when you can get similar protection for free.

You also have to accept that most paid AV programs produce far too many false positives to make its self look more important so you'll pay for it again
RE: RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Fez on 11-25-2010 at 10:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
you cant Guarantee "everyone or anybody" Using a Network full of computers wont accidently download  a Virus

If it's your own personal network and you can't trust people not to download viruses then there's a problem

As Chris4 said, Microsoft Security Essentials does a perfect job of protecting users rather than having to pay for Norton, which is what the original comment was about.

I still to this day can not understand why people pay upwards of £50 for an AV and FW when you can get similar protection for free.

You also have to accept that most paid AV programs produce far too many false positives to make its self look more important so you'll pay for it again

1) Microsoft Security Essentials is fairly new compared to other AV Programs

2) Indeed it is an excellent product

3) It isn't enough when it comes to network security :)

Norton Internet Security is a great product and so is Kaspersky Internet Security.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-25-2010 at 10:42 AM

quote:

a Free Product Does not  secure you against all possible Viruses. whereas a Paid Product will. why i dont know, but i would never relly on a Free Virus Detector to detect the most common Viruses. . if there was no need for Pay for Antivirus software  im sure companies would more than likely license them under GPL/FSF software.  but IMO if your on a network you really should use Linux, not windows.

where do you get that idea from? or was that just something that came out of your head on the off chance that it would sink into someones head and believe that
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Spunky on 11-25-2010 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
where do you get that idea from? or was that just something that came out of your head on the off chance that it would sink into someones head and believe that

From the hundreds of people I've had coming to me saying they've apparently got a virus, when in reality it's just a txt file called "this is a virus.txt".

By all means, pay for AV software if you wish; I'll just sit here with my fully protected PC not giving a fuck (Y)
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by foaly on 11-25-2010 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
a Free Product Does not  secure you against all possible Viruses. whereas a Paid Product will. why i dont know, but i would never relly on a Free Virus Detector to detect the most common Viruses. . if there was no need for Pay for Antivirus software  im sure companies would more than likely license them under GPL/FSF software.  but IMO if your on a network you really should use Linux, not windows.

Thank god you base all your comments on checkable facts...
Avast! for example uses the same virus scanner in their free product and there paid product...
But I suppose if you pay for it, it will magically detect more..
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Menthix on 11-25-2010 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
a Free Product Does not  secure you against all possible Viruses. whereas a Paid Product will
Not a single product in the world will secure you against all possible viruses, whether it is paid or not. Even the antivirus makers will tell you that.

For someone with some skill and time it is not that hard to make a virus which will go undetected by all antivirus products. All antivirus products rely on signatures and heuristics. Signatures will only prevent known viruses. If you write your own virus it won't be in anyone's signature database.  Heuristics are characteristics common for viruses. But antivirus products cannot put all malicious  characteristics in their heuristics since that will flood the user with false positives, after all legit programs delete/modify files too.
As a new virus becomes more and more widely spread it will eventually be picked up by the "security researcher" folks. But that won't prevent the virus from dealing plenty of damage before that.

Never blindly rely on an antivirus product. Certainly don't get the illusion your antivirus product will secure you against all possible viruses. Running any antivirus product is fine, but let common sense do at least 50% of the job too.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Chrissy on 11-28-2010 at 01:58 PM

More to the point..

Are we all agreed this was another stupid decision, and it's purely there for business rea$ons? :zippy:

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Menthix on 11-28-2010 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Are we all agreed this was another stupid decision, and it's purely there for business rea$ons?
Would you rather go back to popup ads again?
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Chrissy on 11-28-2010 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Are we all agreed this was another stupid decision, and it's purely there for business rea$ons?
Would you rather go back to popup ads again?
Yes, I would like to go back to the optional popup ads :P
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Menthix on 11-28-2010 at 06:18 PM

Optional popup ads (seen as malware by various applications), or optional legit software (sure, which wont not be everyone's favorite) designed to prevent malware.

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Hank on 11-28-2010 at 09:39 PM

quote:
More to the point..

if you dont like it, simple, dont use it :)
RE: RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Fez on 11-29-2010 at 06:57 AM

quote:
More to the point..

Are we all agreed this was another stupid decision, and it's purely there for business rea$ons? :zippy:

Bloody hell -

Look at the amount of coding that goes into the software do you want someone to donate that much time of their lives to you for free?

Do you not think that catering to tens of millions of users online is going to require a considerable expenditure in terms of hosting and management?

It's just a freakin opt in sponsor program, seriously 8-)
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by mynetx on 11-29-2010 at 11:15 AM

This new sponsor does remember me of the drop-in plugins created by OpenCandy:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1003734]

RE: New Sponsor: Norton by Menthix on 11-29-2010 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
This new sponsor does remember me of the drop-in plugins created by OpenCandy
Because they are.
RE: New Sponsor: Norton by albert on 11-30-2010 at 02:05 AM

Concerning the A/V vs experienced users:

I had a programmer come to me and be pissed that our barracuda firewall would block .exe files automatically. His point was that he was an experience software programmer, and that he needed to communicate to his co-workers some .exes files, as they were his tools for working. Now it isn't even my place in the company to take such decision as which files to block, but my answer was as follows :

''Have you ever done any kind of mistake in your life? Going from picking the wrong type of milk to slipping your finger on the mouse click, deleting the wrong file, mis-reading a text? If yes, then you understand why we can't allow anyone to risk the company getting infected as small as the risks may be.''

Yes, running without an A/V might not get you any viruses, running with an A/V may actually get you some (these are not magic gates either!!) but at the end of the day, a nice complete form of security will HELP prevent the risk of infection. No matter if these infections come from a simple mistake, an unexperienced user, a sister using your PC, or a late night slip up on the mousepad. Use both a trusted software and your brains, that should get you through. :)