Shoutbox

[Request] Nickname in tab - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] Nickname in tab (/showthread.php?tid=95981)

[Request] Nickname in tab by Cadellin on 12-12-2010 at 01:31 PM

I've been using msgplus since 2001 so thank you to everyone who has contributed and worked on it!

How possible would it be for a script which shows the nicknames of contacts instead of their display name if one has been set?

Thanks in advance :)

RE: [Request] Nickname in tab by matty on 12-12-2010 at 01:36 PM

Neither scripts or Messenger Plus! have access to the nicknames. So how possible you ask... impossible...

RE: [Request] Nickname in tab by mynetx on 12-12-2010 at 01:41 PM

Hello Cadellin,

Great to hear that you’re using Messenger Plus! since its beginning back in 2001. You might be interested in reading Patchou’s story about it — I am sure you will find it as interesting as I did.

Regarding contacts’ nicknames: Messenger Plus! and its scripts do not currently have access to custom names you give your contacts, for now (CookieRevised's reply to Contact Names <-> Nicknames?).

Furthermore, from Messenger 2011 onwards, Messenger has dropped support for display names. Instead, the names that your friends enter in their Windows Live Profile, is shown to you. I doubt that Messenger Plus! can or wants to change this behavior.

Does this information help you?

RE: [Request] Nickname in tab by SmokingCookie on 12-12-2010 at 04:26 PM

Actually, the removal of nicknames from wlm 2011 is quite an argument for Patchou to bring this, or a similar feature, back to Plus! 5...

RE: [Request] Nickname in tab by Cadellin on 12-12-2010 at 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

It would be great if Plus! could add nicknames back into 2011 as I'm sure they're missed by people who have upgraded. Personally I plan to stay on 2009 unless they add display names back in so for me its sad to hear that its not possible but I shan't complain ;)

@mynetx: Thanks for the link to the patchou story - it was a really interesting read to see the story behind the software.

RE: [Request] Nickname in tab by Cadellin on 01-20-2011 at 10:18 PM

It just struck me that a dirty solution could just be to be able to add the ability to assign a custom name to a contacts tab.

Not ideal but it would solve the problem. The question is though is that possible in a script and if so how?