Shoutbox

Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications (/showthread.php?tid=95992)

Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Nathalie on 12-14-2010 at 04:30 PM

Messenger Plus! Live recently introduced three new applications which millions of users have added to their toolbars:  Messenger Plus! Live Add-ons, Plus! Translator and Plus! Games:

--Messenger Plus! Live Add-ons – with more than 11 million downloads, users can access the best features of Messenger Plus! Live directly from their toolbar. They can download skins and scripts and read the latest Messenger Plus! Live news.

--Plus! Games – with approximately 17 million downloads, users can play a wide variety of casual games, all for free.

--Plus! Translator – translate text from and to more than 60 languages directly from your toolbar, without using a human translator.  Easy and quick to use, this application has been installed by close to 13 million users.

These toolbar applications are also promoted through the Conduit network and available in the Application Marketplace. You can add them to your toolbar and check them out yourself!

PlusNetwork, (including Plus! Sports and Plus! Games) and the Messenger Plus! Live toolbars support Messenger Plus! Live by letting us devote more resources towards the development of new features, as well as helping keep Messenger Plus! Live stay free.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Mauron on 12-15-2010 at 12:33 AM

Nice.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-15-2010 at 01:23 AM

Oh boy! Thanks heaps guys for these wonderful toolbars.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Biller on 12-15-2010 at 01:14 PM

Yay, waited for years for somthing like that...

Now I can add a Plus! Toolbar as well:

[Image: too_many_toolbars.jpg]

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by matty on 12-15-2010 at 09:21 PM

Yay! More toolbars for Christmas... just what I always wanted!!!

I know you guys need to make money but seriously this is getting ridiculous...

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Chrono on 12-15-2010 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
i agree...

Well i mean it's ok if they want to make new toolbars, but trying to advertise them here is plain silly :P At least the one to access plus! features seems like a good idea.
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-15-2010 at 10:27 PM

quote:

they gotta pay for there software that makes Plus somehow matty but if you donmt  like it, your not forced to use it
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by matty on 12-16-2010 at 01:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alias
quote:

they gotta pay for there software that makes Plus somehow matty but if you donmt  like it, your not forced to use it
Ahaha and me :P
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-16-2010 at 02:59 AM

lol Matty, isn't it kind of dangerous to criticize your employer? :P

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by matty on 12-16-2010 at 03:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
lol Matty, isn't it kind of dangerous to criticize your employer? :P
Haha I am not an employee; I am a consultant for Kimahri Software.
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Oxy on 12-16-2010 at 10:27 AM

Great news!

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Chrissy on 12-16-2010 at 05:44 PM

Does anyone actually use tool-bars nowadays? 8-)

I've always wanted a wide selection, and thanks to Plus! I've now got that! :(

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Spunky on 12-16-2010 at 07:00 PM

I'm sorry, but any toolbar I ever come across gets uninstalled; even if it's not on my computer. I remember Windows 98 with IE (5?) and just having toolbars everywhere.

1. They take up valuable screen real estate (no matter how big your monitor is)
  2. They usually either never get used or have useless functions
  3. Most toolbars that at least used to be available came with every form of adware, spyware crap you can imagine

So while I normally stick up for Plus! (and don't think I'm knocking it either), toolbars don't feel like the right route to go down. I know I for one still don't trust them. From anybody. And why do we need so many? Incorporate everything into one, less bloat for the user. It's spreading its self to thin in my opinion. I'd spend more time on building a solid money making product than I few seemingly half-assed ones
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Menthix on 12-16-2010 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
And why do we need so many? Incorporate everything into one, less bloat for the user.
AFAIK everything is incorporated into a single toolbar. As I understand it the 3 Conduit Applications as they are called are essentially elements you can add to any Conduit toolbar.

The Messenger Plus! toolbar bundled with Plus! currently is the only toolbar from Yuna, and that one probably already comes with those 3 "apps" by default.

Putting this content in the Conduit App Marketplace just enables people who have another Conduit toolbar installed to add the Plus! content to their existing toolbar. Essentially exactly to prevent situations as in Biller's pic :p.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by whiz on 12-16-2010 at 07:48 PM

Since when do these apps work in Google Chrome?  Just went to have a look, and clicking add starts the download of an extension...  and it works.  :P

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-16-2010 at 10:44 PM

and i thought  we all loved our toolbars :p  .. well i dont think toolbars anymore is necessary thing for Browsers anymore, its like Chrome, all you have to do is type in the Address bar what your looking for and it'll automatically search in Google search for you,  ( i think Firefox4 wil be the same to eventually ) 

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by albert on 12-16-2010 at 11:23 PM

Blah, although I don't like the toolbars either, I don't see why people are complaining.. They make money off this and between that and the old sponsor I prefer that..

and yes them publishing it here sucks a little but it's not like it's worst than the useless 15 threads a day Chrissy makes about the world's most complicated and never seen before computer complication. just ignore it and move on.

[/rant]

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-16-2010 at 11:25 PM

maybe they could make a Chrissy toolbar :lol:

but even if you install Plus5 and install the toolbar, you can always uninstall it soon afterwards, 

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by nimicitor on 12-16-2010 at 11:27 PM

Toolbars? It isn't 2003.

I'm sure people are looking forward to another great feature from you, exit from Messenger and have 50 Messenger windows pop up asking if your sure you want to exit.

Are you guys smoking crack or something? In fact even on drugs these are all fucking shit.

WTF ARE YOU DOING YUNA?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-16-2010 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
Toolbars? It isn't 2003.

I'm sure people are looking forward to another great feature from you, exit from Messenger and have 50 Messenger windows pop up asking if your sure you want to exit.

Are you guys smoking crack or something? In fact even on drugs these are all fucking shit.

WTF ARE YOU DOING YUNA?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darling settle down and get some  of that religion into you
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by charlie_su1986 on 12-17-2010 at 01:42 AM

Look at IE9, Google Chrome, or even the just released Opera 11. Notice something? Browsers are getting minimalistic design, yet you guys are developing more toolbars. Unbelievable.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-17-2010 at 02:08 AM

Toolbars are, as nimicitor said, so 2003. It's now 2010, times have changed, web browses are becoming simpler, people don't want ridiculous toolbars clogging up their screens.

Stick to what works for you, Messenger Plus! Live for Windows Live Messenger. Leave all these money desperate toolbars and generic, advertising spammed websites out of the equation.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by robert_dll on 12-17-2010 at 02:11 AM

Messenger Plus! Live - money sources = Good bye Plus!
Do you want that?

If you don't like toolbars just don't make use of them, that's all.

RE: RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-17-2010 at 02:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
Do you want that?

There is plenty of other ways to make money than spamming out crappy generic websites spammed with advertising and making toolbars.
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Chrissy on 12-17-2010 at 01:41 PM

quote:
quote:
Do you want that?

There is plenty of other ways to make money than spamming out crappy generic websites spammed with advertising and making toolbars.
2nd that (Y)
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by CookieRevised on 12-17-2010 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
quote:
quote:
Do you want that?

2nd that (Y)
Sure.... that's the oh-so-typical saying which we hear since decades. Yet I still need to see the very first WORKING suggested alternative from those people which would generate the same amount of revenue.

And quite frankly, imo, they who claim that you can generate the same amount of revenue without any ads what-so-ever, don't realy have a clue how bussiness models or even the internet works these days.

And even so, no matter what method they use, certain people will always complain about it, optional or not.

-

tbh, I don't see any reason to complain here other than that the advertised apps (note: apps, NOT toolbars, learn to read people) haven't got something to do with Plus!/Messenger. But then again, so wasn't the previously used adware. I don't even see why they shouldn't advertise these 3 new toolbar apps on this forum, it would be stupid not to do it...
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by robert_dll on 12-17-2010 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Any good suggestion? Keep in mind that you need to make happy the complete userbase of MP!L ;)

I'm not saying toolbars is the best way to follow, but they need a source of revenue. It's impossible to make everyone happy with the idea of an sponsor, do you remember the CiD sponsor? it was criticized a LOT, and remember it was optional, same with this.
RE: RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-17-2010 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
quote:
Do you want that?

2nd that (Y)
Sure.... that's the oh-so-typical saying which we hear since decades. Yet I still need to see the very first WORKING suggested alternative from those people which would generate the same amount of revenue.

And quite frankly, imo, they who claim that you can generate the same amount of revenue without any ads what-so-ever, don't realy have a clue how bussiness models or even the internet works these days.

And even so, no matter what method they use, certain people will always complain about it, optional or not.

-

tbh, I don't see any reason to complain here other than that the advertised apps (note: apps, NOT toolbars, learn to read people) haven't got something to do with Plus!/Messenger. But then again, so wasn't the previously used adware. I don't even see why they shouldn't advertise these 3 new toolbar apps on this forum, it would be stupid not to do it...

No one is saying their shouldn't be ads. Nice assumption you made there. There is other way to incorporate advertising than spamming generic useless websites and 2003 era toolbars.

quote:
quote:
Any good suggestion? Keep in mind that you need to make happy the complete userbase of MP!L ;)

I'm not saying toolbars is the best way to follow, but they need a source of revenue. It's impossible to make everyone happy with the idea of an sponsor, do you remember the CiD sponsor? it was criticized a LOT, and remember it was optional, same with this.

I have some good alternatives, if YUNA would like to hear them, then they can hire me :)

RE: RE: RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by CookieRevised on 12-17-2010 at 03:56 PM

quote:
No one is saying their shouldn't be ads. Nice assumption you made there.
Not an assumption at all.
Note the "they who claim". Ever heared of anticipated and general thoughts/comments? Learn to read and understand a text before replying.
Moreover:
quote:
[...]with advertising[...]
kthx.

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Chrissy on 12-17-2010 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Note the "they who claim". Ever heared of anticipated and general thoughts/comments? Learn to read and understand a text before replying.
So who said it then? Anyone in this topic?
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-17-2010 at 11:00 PM

Hire Discrate and the world will end

RE: RE: RE: RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Discrate on 12-18-2010 at 12:32 AM

quote:
quote:
No one is saying their shouldn't be ads. Nice assumption you made there.
Not an assumption at all.
Moreover:
quote:
[...]with advertising[...]
kthx.

You implied that me and others were implying that there shouldn't be ads when infact that wasn't what we were saying. Obviously ads should be used to generate revenue, but spamming out generic useless websites JUST to display ads is rather embarrassing.

I love how cookie implies things and then when corrected, he responds with all this technical crap to try to confuse you. Watch he will no doubt respond and try it again.

kthx.

quote:
quote:
So who said it then? Anyone in this topic?

He was obviously talking about me for one, but used "they who claim" so he can claim it wasn't me.
RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Hank on 12-18-2010 at 12:36 AM

Discrate in 1 Corner and Cookie in the other.   as far as im concerned if ya dont like the directioon in what there doing with these toolbars, just dont install Plus  or install it an then remove the toolbars,

RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Spunky on 12-18-2010 at 12:03 PM

My objection to this is that they say the "apps" are to generate advertising revenue. I'm not saying people aren't going to use them because toolbars are generally shit... I'm saying people aren't going to install toolbars for the sake of a few MP!L buttons. People that do have the toolbar probably don't care. You can't be reaching as many users as you could by other methods.

It would make more sense to put some text-based adverts in the preferences windows etc. IMO

RE: RE: Millions of toolbar users add 3 new Messenger Plus! Live applications by Biller on 12-22-2010 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
It would make more sense to put some text-based adverts in the preferences windows etc. IMO

I think that's a good idea instead of toolbars or additional installers during the setup. If you can make it to hit the user emotional with a nice story of Plus! telling them why to support the Messenger Plus! Project I think a lot of them (me include) would donate - maybe not via PayPal because of being evil to wikileaks ;) - some dollars.

Somehow I've never seen that since I use MsgPlus V1. Am I wrong?

Anyway guys, I hope you will be release a good piece of software soon.

Nice holidays and greets from Leipzig.
cheers, Biller