Shoutbox

question about msn lock. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: question about msn lock. (/showthread.php?tid=96682)

question about msn lock. by emrahoruc on 02-09-2011 at 10:26 AM

Hello ,

i use "msn lock" very often.
i changed system tray logo.
but is it possible to unlock msn by pressing CTRL+mouse click.
unlock with password is not safe for me.

ctrl+mouse click will be more safe for me.
there was such a preference in 4.9.
can we do it in 5 ?

no one knows ?
RE: question about msn lock. by fnsfnsfns on 02-09-2011 at 11:27 AM

I totally agree with you. I use a lot this feature (pressing a custom key combination to unlock messenger) and really can't understand why they changed that. Putting a password to unlock messenger can be safer but it's not practical if you just want a fast way (and not so easy to strangers) to get messenger back.
Definitely I'm downgrading to version 4.9 where I can use that feature again.

RE: question about msn lock. by Menthix on 02-09-2011 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by emrahoruc
I'm not sure about unlocking with Ctrl + Mouseclick, as far as I know that wasn't possible in Plus! 4.9 either. You can unlock Messenger by pressing the lock shortcut a second time though (Ctrl + Space by default), or by doubleclicking the tray icon of the hidden Messenger. Nothing has changed in Plus! 5.0 in that regard.

Having Messenger ask for a password when you unlock was already an option in Plus! 4.9 too, but that was optional just as it is in Plus! 5.0. You can disable the need for a password to unlock: In the Plus! options go to: Passwords -> Unlock Messenger -> Untick 'Ask for password to unlock'.

It is interesting both of you are posting about the same issue though. Perhaps this feature is now somehow enabled by default while it was disabled by default in 4.9? As far as I can see it is not password protected by default though. I don't understand how it would suddenly become password protected either as you would have needed to fill in the password first.

Do you know which password it want to unlock it with? Do you remember setting that password?
RE: question about msn lock. by CookieRevised on 02-09-2011 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Do you know which password it want to unlock it with? Do you remember setting that password?
I think they are just referring to it as a possible option to unlock, not referring to it as it being enabled by default.

But I could be wrong.
RE: question about msn lock. by Menthix on 02-09-2011 at 12:27 PM

Well than I don't understand why 2 people posted on the same subject so shortly after each other. If they know it is an option and they know they don't have to use it, then the entire thread doesn't make sense to me. Just don't use it? :p

RE: question about msn lock. by CookieRevised on 02-09-2011 at 12:46 PM

Second poster is just agreeing with the top poster. Second poster didn't say the pwd was set.

Either way, time to wait to get some answers I think :p

RE: question about msn lock. by emrahoruc on 02-09-2011 at 01:25 PM

OK

first of all sorry about my english. i want to explain the event.

i dont want to see anyone that i'm using messenger. in 4.9 , there was an option "only unlock msn by clicking with CTRL"... really , i m for sure , there was an option.

if someone sits my desk and clicks msn locked icon , msgplus asks a password. so guy understood that i m using msn , but it's locked.. but in 4.9 if the guy clicks msn locked icon , nothing happenes (coz he's not clicking with CTRL button). so no one can understand that icon belongs to msn.

r we clear with my dirty english ?

RE: question about msn lock. by pollolibredegrasa on 02-09-2011 at 01:44 PM

A Screeenshot might help in this instance. I assume this is the option the OP is referring to:

[Image: EhziB.png]
(screenshot taken from Plus! version 4.83.0.376)

which indeed seems to be missing from Plus 5...

Also note that the checkbox in question is invisible if "Unlock with a system-wide shortcut" is selected, with a textbox in it's place.

RE: question about msn lock. by matty on 02-09-2011 at 01:50 PM

Simply put the OP wants the ability of using Ctrl+Clicking the icon to unlock WLM. The OP doesn't want a password prompt as, for whatever reason, doesn't want people to know they are using Messenger Plus!.

RE: question about msn lock. by Menthix on 02-09-2011 at 02:06 PM

Is see. There also isn't a choice anymore between 'Unlock by double-clicking' and 'Unlock by shortcut'. Plus! 5 does both without being able to configure it.

Would indeed be nice to bring these 3 settings back next version:
* Unlock by double-clicking the systray icon
* Unlock with a system-wide shortcut
* Control key must be held when double-clicking to unlock

RE: question about msn lock. by fnsfnsfns on 02-09-2011 at 02:28 PM

I guess I misunderstood what Emrahoruc has written... sorry about that.
My complaint was related to the fact that when you lock messenger and double click on the icon at the taskbar (nearby the windows clock) it automatically unlocks messenger. That won't happen in version 4.9. If you don't want to use a password to do it so you can't use that feature safely anymore...
Thanks

RE: question about msn lock. by Menthix on 02-09-2011 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fnsfnsfns
My complaint was related to the fact that when you lock messenger and double click on the icon at the taskbar (nearby the windows clock) it automatically unlocks messenger. That won't happen in version 4.9.

Yes, I noticed that too now.
quote:
There also isn't a choice anymore between 'Unlock by double-clicking' and 'Unlock by shortcut'. Plus! 5 does both without being able to configure it.

Hopefully both of your issues can be solved by adding these options back in the next version.
RE: RE: question about msn lock. by rblaurindo on 02-10-2011 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Is see. There also isn't a choice anymore between 'Unlock by double-clicking' and 'Unlock by shortcut'. Plus! 5 does both without being able to configure it.

Would indeed be nice to bring these 3 settings back next version:
* Unlock by double-clicking the systray icon
* Unlock with a system-wide shortcut
* Control key must be held when double-clicking to unlock

I totally agree with this.

My problem is actually the second point. If I am not wrong, the only way to unlock Plus with a shortcut, now, is using the same shortcut used to lock it.
This is dangerous, I think... When you have to lock it to prevent from someone to see you are connected, this person could see the shortcut you use, and try to use it again. If you protect the unlock with a password, this person wouldn't be able to read your conversations, but he would notice you were connected.
Additionally, you could accidentally press your shortcut twice when trying to lock messenger.
RE: question about msn lock. by totonf on 02-10-2011 at 04:55 PM

We agree with your comments, we will consider for the next version.

quote:
Originally posted by emrahoruc

While waiting you could add a new DWORD Value named LockClickNeedsCtrl under the registry key HKCU\Software\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\Windows Live Messenger\your@email.com\Preferences and set this value to 1

RE: question about msn lock. by gregrj on 03-08-2011 at 12:39 PM

I would say that's not really convenient to have the same shortcut for lock AND unlock.

using plus! for few years, i used to "hit" the "lock" shortcut" if needed, without to check if msn was blocked already or not.
now if I hit the shortcut with msn already blocked, I've got a pop-up for password prompt, an awkward pop-up...

AND... (there is more..)
the double-click function HAVE to be optional, there is so many thing to double-click in some systray, that the same awkward pop-up could... pop-up.

NB :I'm French, excuse my English :)

EDIT : sorry I didn't see  the 2nd page :$

RE: question about msn lock. by Eldarkino on 03-24-2011 at 05:09 AM

what happen with the update? XP

RE: question about msn lock. by gregrj on 04-13-2011 at 07:59 AM

I'm using the new MP!L on two pc at work.
AND... the CTRL+click is activated on one, not on the other.

I WILL try to export/import the settings but it's a little bit awkward :
I feel myself silly trying  to understand where is the ability to use ctrl+click...

(don't know if my English is understandable on this one... ^o) )

RE: question about msn lock. by CookieRevised on 04-13-2011 at 08:58 AM

gregrj,

The 'CTRL+click' option to unlock Messenger is not visually included yet in the preferences interface of Plus!5.

However, the option does exist as an advanced registry tweak, so you can enable/disable the option yourself by manually tweaking the Plus!5 settings in the Windows registry.

But first a warning: note that you need to be very carefull when you edit your registry directly. If you change the wrong thing you can screw up Windows!

1. Open your registry editor: Windows Start Button > Run > type: "regedit" (without the quotes) and press enter.
    Or press the key combination WIN+R to open the Run dialog.

2. In the left pane of the registry editor window, navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\Windows Live Messenger\your_windows_live_id\Preferences

3. Once you're there, right-click somewhere in the right pane and choose: New > DWORD-value

4. Name the new key: LockClickNeedsCtrl and press enter.

5. Double click the just created LockClickNeedsCtrl key and set its value to 1 (to enable) or 0 (to disable) and press enter.

6. Close the registry editor and restart Messenger.

----------------------------------------
Note: in regards to exporting settings from an account, which has this option enabled, and importing those settings back in another account, works too, but it will also overwrite other settings though.
RE: question about msn lock. by gregrj on 04-15-2011 at 09:08 PM

thank you CookieRevisde !!
I must have done this for my first PC, just stupid enough to forget it ...
thank you again.