Shoutbox

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error (/showthread.php?tid=96742)

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-11-2011 at 06:15 AM

Hello...

I installed the newest version of Messenger Plus (version 5) and I was unable to open WLM. I got this message: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error". Well, it was working fine with the previous version, so I uninstalled Messenger Plus 5 to see if it was causing this error.
Then my WLM started working.

How can I solve this problem? I had to install back version 4.90 to get it working again.

Thanks in advance and regards from Brazil. :o)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Mnjul on 02-11-2011 at 06:16 AM

Hello there,

Could you paste a screenshot of the said error? I think it should be a dialogbox ;) This will help us diagnose the problem :)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-11-2011 at 06:49 AM

Here is the screenshot: http://i55.tinypic.com/2h2mufr.jpg

Even when I click on OK, WLM doesn't open.
If I uninstall Messenger Plus 5 or install version 4.90, it does.

My WLM version is 2009 (build 14.0.8117.416).

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Spunky on 02-11-2011 at 08:18 AM

Are you running WLM in compatibility mode?

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-11-2011 at 08:45 AM

No... :|:$

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Spunky on 02-11-2011 at 09:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by apeclys
No... :|:$

Ok, that's a good thing :)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Menthix on 02-11-2011 at 02:06 PM

A few things that might help...

• Are you using any other Messenger add-ons or patches like: A-Patch, MessePatch, SweetIM, Smiley Central, Kiwee, Messenger discovery, MSN Shell?
  • Any other apps which are known to cause problems like: GDI++, ThreatFire, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, Bandoo, HiYo, Kingsoft, Internet Security, AirFoil, MapleStory (MMORPG), BabylonIM?
  • Have you tried uninstalling Messenger Plus! -> Uninstalling Windows Live Messenger -> Re-install Live Messenger -> Re-install Messenger Plus!?

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-11-2011 at 02:46 PM

Yes, I'm using A-Patch.

I'm not using none of those apps.

And I've tried to do that twice (uninstalling both and reinstalling) , but WLM only works when I uninstall Messenger Plus 5.

(A)

RE: RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Cellgm on 02-17-2011 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Yes, I'm using A-Patch.

And I've tried to do that twice (uninstalling both and reinstalling) , but WLM only works when I uninstall Messenger Plus 5.

(A)
i get it too, it really puzzled me, done searching, uninstalled / reinstalled plus. works again, in compa mode v/2

only problem i had was when i used a new skin, for 2011,

so far  ( few days  ) ive kept defult skin, i havent had the problem .
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Menthix on 02-17-2011 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cellgm
works again, in compa mode v/2
compa mode v/2?

quote:
Originally posted by Cellgm
only problem i had was when i used a new skin, for 2011, so far  ( few days  ) ive kept defult skin, i havent had the problem.
Do you thik a skin is causing the runtime errors? Which skin were you using?

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Spunky on 02-17-2011 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
compa mode v/2?

I think compatibility mode - Vista (Service Pack 2)
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-17-2011 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Yes, I'm using A-Patch.

Can you uninstall A-patch (and any other patch or addon you might have), then repair or re-install Messenger, reboot, and finally re-install Messenger Plus!. then see if you still have the same problem..

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by snibs on 02-17-2011 at 09:04 PM

I'm having the same problem, uninstalled plus 5 and works fine, I only installed this 24 hours ago and this is the first restart, no skins or add ons at all nor are there any of the apps listed earlier. All win 7 updates are installed, AVG, incredimail, steam, logitech setpoint, game booster, I note these apps so maybe this thread could isolate one that "might" be causing a problem (long shot I know).
Thanks all for any help.

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Mystical on 02-19-2011 at 06:57 PM

"I'm having the same problem, uninstalled plus 5 and works fine"
Yes...I uninstalled the plus and then work...What's the matter with plus?

Edit:
I uninstalled then reinstalled the plus, and then work...

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-20-2011 at 12:20 AM

Here the same problem!

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by farmtool33 on 02-20-2011 at 07:54 AM

i have just the same problem i installed yesterday and it worked fine
this morning i turn my pc on and i klick on msn and it seys runtime error.......

i uninstalled plus and now it works fine but i love Messenger Plus but i cant use it .......

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-20-2011 at 06:28 PM

He guys from messengerplus live!!

React please!!

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by totonf on 02-20-2011 at 06:47 PM

May you try to install C++ redistributable.

RE: RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by snibs on 02-20-2011 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mystical
"I'm having the same problem, uninstalled plus 5 and works fine"
Yes...I uninstalled the plus and then work...What's the matter with plus?

Edit:
I uninstalled then reinstalled the plus, and then work...

Same here, reinstalled the next day and working fine.??
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Can you uninstall A-patch (and any other patch or addon you might have), then repair or re-install Messenger, reboot, and finally re-install Messenger Plus!. then see if you still have the same problem..

I did it but the problem still remains. :( I'll reinstall MsgPlus 5 to see if it works.
I was not using any skin or other addon (such as A-Patch).
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-21-2011 at 12:18 PM

Have you all updated your Windows OS with all the available patches and hotfixes?

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by totonf
May you try to install C++ redistributable.

Have tried that?

Also, did you read:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=96...1009198#pid1009198
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Have you all updated your Windows OS with all the available patches and hotfixes?

My Windows XP is fully updated.

---

I just installed C++ Redistributable and I'm gonna install MsgPlus 5 again.

(A)
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 12:33 PM

quote:
My Windows XP is fully updated.

---

I just installed C++ Redistributable and I'm gonna install MsgPlus 5 again.

(A)

Great, we look forward to your results.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 12:43 PM

:)

quote:
Also, did you read:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=96...1009198#pid1009198

Yes, but I always do those steps.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 02:00 PM

I installed C++ Redistributable and WLM was working fine until I restarted the computer. :(

Still the same error.

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Menthix on 02-21-2011 at 02:35 PM

There errors, do the happen directly after you open Messenger, an each time or is it something intermittent?

To everyone who was this problem and is able to "solve" it by uninstalling Plus!... Can you all answer a few questions (as far as you didn't answer them already):

• 1: Which Messenger version are you using (2009/2001) If possible the complete build number.
    Usually press Alt to show the menubar and go to Help > About Messenger. But since Messenger is crashing see Cookie's instructions on how to get the buildnumber without running Messenger.
  • 2: Which Windows version are you using?
    XP/Vista/Win7. 32bit or 64 bit? If you don't know it's usually 32 bit.
  • 3: Are you using online logging (a new feature in Plus! 5). If you do, does disabling that feature solve the problem?
  • 4: Are you using a skin? If you do, does disabling the skin solve the problem?
  • 5: Are you running Messenger in compatibility mode? For example because you want to have a Messenger icon in your systray on Windows 7. If you do, does disabling compatibility mode solve the problem?
  • 6: Have you ever patched or modified Messenger in any way (A-Patch / MessPatch)? If you did, does re-installing Messenger solve the problem?
  • 7: Can you post a screenshot of the full list of installed programs on your system? (Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (sometimes 'Software' depending on your Windows language)
    See Arcticwolfx's instructions on how to do this.

Other things already suggested in this theard (to sum it up):
  • Install the C++ redistributable.
  • Are you using any of these apps: SweetIM, Smiley Central, Kiwee, Messenger discovery, MSN Shell, GDI++, ThreatFire, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, Bandoo, HiYo, Kingsoft, Internet Security, AirFoil, MapleStory (MMORPG), BabylonIM? They have been known to cause problems in combination with Plus! in the past. Usually uninstalling these apps will make Plus! work properly.
  • Have you tried uninstalling Messenger Plus! -> Uninstalling Windows Live Messenger -> Re-install Live Messenger -> Re-install Messenger Plus!?
  • Try the things listed in Arcticwolfx's reply to Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes.

I understand those are a lot of things to try. But until we know what is causing the problem it is hard to fix something. At least 7 people reported the same problem, so there must be something going wrong somewhere, but on the other hand a lot of other people are running Plus! 5 fine without any problem. When we figure out what all people who get the runtime errors have in common we may be a lot closer to fixing it :). The more info the better.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-21-2011 at 02:43 PM

1. Version 15.4.3508.1109
2. win7 64x
3. No
4. No
5. no
6. No
7. How do i do that?

Greetz

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-21-2011 at 02:47 PM

In addition to what Menthix asked:

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
1: Which Messenger version are you using (2009/2001) If possible the complete build number, but I understand that can be hard to lookup when your Messenger doesn't start.
Usually press Alt in Messenger and go to Help > About Messenger.
In case Messenger does not start and you have trouble getting the version number:
- Open Windows Explorer (note: not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer)
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger
- Right click on the file msnmsgr.exe and open its File Properties
- Look in the Version tab for the complete build number

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luckie70

7. How do i do that?

Greetz

-Go to the Control Panel. (You can access it through the Start Menu)
-Go to "Programs and Features." A window should open gradually building a list of all the software installed on your computer.
-Try to fit the list on your entire screen (else you have to make several screenshots) and press the "PrintScreen" key on your keyboard, which should be to the right of your F12 key on most default keyboards.
-Open Paint (Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint)
-Press the Paste button.
-Now save the picture and upload it as an attachment in your next reply to this post.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 03:02 PM

Menthix, after installing MsgPlus 5, I opened WLM without any problem (several times). But when I restarted the computer and tried to open it again, I got the same error. And whenever I try to open it, the message "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error" pops up.

---

1. 2009 (build 14.0.8117.416);
2. Windows XP - 32 bits;
3. I was not using this new feature before and the error occurred. Earlier (when I reinstalled MsgPlus 5), I enabled it and the same error appeared. So I guess there's nothing to do with it;
4. No skin;
5. I'm not running Messenger in compatibility mode;
6. I'll remove A-Patch to make sure if there is or not a conflict with MsgPlus 5;
7. Screenshots:
- http://i54.tinypic.com/2vhvdwo.png
- http://i54.tinypic.com/ru75ed.png
- http://i51.tinypic.com/1608y76.png

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 03:07 PM

I restored the settings made by A-Patch and WLM still doesn't work.

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-21-2011 at 03:11 PM

Here the same, i think it has nothing to do with a-patch.

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-21-2011 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Install the C++ redistributable.

I did.

---

quote:
Are you using any of these apps: SweetIM, Smiley Central, Kiwee, Messenger discovery, MSN Shell, GDI++, ThreatFire, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, Bandoo, HiYo, Kingsoft, Internet Security, AirFoil, MapleStory (MMORPG), BabylonIM? They have been known to cause problems in combination with Plus! in the past. Usually uninstalling these apps will make Plus! work properly.

I'm not using any of those apps.

---

quote:
Have you tried uninstalling Messenger Plus! -> Uninstalling Windows Live Messenger -> Re-install Live Messenger -> Re-install Messenger Plus!?

Yes.

---

quote:
Try the things listed in Arcticwolfx's reply to Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes.

I already tried it all. And my system is clean; no spywares.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 05:17 PM

quote:
http://i54.tinypic.com/ru75ed.png

What is MSN Backup?

Have read their homepage, wonder if it could cause problems with Messenger Plus!
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-21-2011 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
What is MSN Backup?

Have read their homepage, wonder if it could cause problems with Messenger Plus!
AFAIK it is a standalone tool. So it shouldn't interfear with Messenger, nor Plus!.
However, I dunno what 'stuff' the tool installs (or overwites) when you install it; that is, if it has an installer.

EDIT:
quote:
It's in the installed programs list.
good point, lol...

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
What is MSN Backup?

AFAIK it is a standalone tool. So it shouldn't interfear with Messenger, nor Plus!.
However, I dunno what 'stuff' the tool installs (or overwites) when you install it; that is, if it has an installer.
It's in the installed programs list. Wonder if any other users have the program.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Menthix on 02-21-2011 at 08:01 PM

MSN BackUp is indeed a standalone app which AFAIK doesn't bundle anything that could interfere.

What I find most interesting is:

quote:
after installing MsgPlus 5, I opened WLM without any problem (several times). But when I restarted the computer and tried to open it again, I got the same error
When WLM did work that short time, are you sure Messenger Plus! was loaded too, did you see the Plus! icon on your contacts list?

If you want to help by experimenting a bit: If you try re-installing Plus! again, does WLM work again (for a limited time)? If it does, click on the Plus! icon in your contact list and go to Preferences & Options > Import/Export > Export Current Settings... and make a backup of all your settings except for:
* Features' Passwords
* External E-Mail Accounts
* Contacts' Settings and Statistics
This should make a backup of all your Plus! settings without revealing private information. You can then add the .pld file to a .zip file and attach it to your reply. I admit it's just a wild guess, but maybe it is some combination of Plus! settings.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-22-2011 at 06:22 AM

quote:
When WLM did work that short time, are you sure Messenger Plus! was loaded too, did you see the Plus! icon on your contacts list?

Yes. MsgPlus was loaded too.

---

I just removed MsgPlus and reinstalled it again. WLM started working. But I don't know if it will continue this way.

I'm attaching the file.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-22-2011 at 01:31 PM

Hi, again...

Well, since I installed MsgPlus 5 again, it was working fine, even after restarting the computer many times.
But I noticed something curious.

When I run a registry cleaner, it finds something related to MsgPlus 5.
(I'm attaching the screenshot).
I removed other invalid keys and unmarked the one that leads to "C:\Arquivos de Programas (Program Files)\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\Interface\Images" and WLM was still working like before.

When I ran the registry cleaner again and marked the above key and removed it, I got the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error. I guess that's the cause of the problem. :o

When I said that I got this error after restarting the computer, it's because sometimes I run the registry cleaner and restart my system.
If other users also use this kind of programs, try to execute it to make sure if this is the cause of the error. :^)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-22-2011 at 01:33 PM

That's great information apeclys! Thanks for sharing the (most likely) cause of the problem after you've fixed the issue for yourself. :)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by alkingmafia on 02-22-2011 at 01:41 PM

:( i have the same porplam  Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-22-2011 at 03:29 PM

quote:
When I ran the registry cleaner again and marked the above key and removed it, I got the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error. I guess that's the cause of the problem. :o

When I said that I got this error after restarting the computer, it's because sometimes I run the registry cleaner and restart my system.
If other users also use this kind of programs, try to execute it to make sure if this is the cause of the error. :^)
Excellent example and proof of what I have always been saying! Never EVER use such registry cleaners if you do not know exactly what you're doing! Those tools are not, I repeat NOT, meant for common usage, eventhough they are quite often advertised as such.

Such tools might seem innocent and they are advertised to the average user as thé number one method to keep the system clean, but they often cause more damage than that they actually fix if they are run by the average Joe!!!!!!!!!!

Even in expert hands, such tools should NEVER be run in such a way that they automatically 'fix' stuff. They ALWAYS get it wrong for many keys.

This said, if this is indeed the cause (or one of the causes), it might perfectly explain the random nature of these errors and why (no offense) only the inexperienced user seems to have it as those are the ones most often running such cleaners.

But also, it would still be a bug in Plus! too. Plus! should check for the existance of those keys and if they are not present, it should properly deal with it...

---

@apeclys :bow: thanks for that great information...
That missing registry key is indeed the culprint of this particular "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error" error.
And now that it has been found, it will be dead easy to fix it in a next version of Plus!... Again, thanks!
RE: RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Arcticwolfx on 02-22-2011 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alkingmafia
:( i have the same porplam  Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error

If you have experience with reading and editing the registry, please try to share your registry information as apeclys has done in her last post in this thread.

If you have no experience with the registry, please try to reinstall Messenger Plus! 5 and do not use any registry cleaning or adware removing software.

Else; I would advise you to keep checking on this thread, I believe a fix is coming soon. :)
RE: RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-22-2011 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by simmie
I have solved:
Deinstall windows live messenger + upload live program with "your uninstaller" and then install wlm.

reinstalling Windows Live Messenger will not solve this.

-------------------------------------------------

To fix it for now, by yourself:

1) Remove or at least disable any program you have installed which fixes/cleans/tunes your registry!

Stuff like 'CCleaner' or 'TuneUp Utilities' and the likes should never be used if you don't know what you're doing! They are indeed advertised as great tools to keep your PC clean, but that is false advertisement! They can cause more damage than they solve, especially if you let them run and fix everything automatically. You must review each proposed change before you let the cleaner fix something. And that requires the proper and often advanced knowledge of the usage and purpose of registry keys.

2) After you have succesfully removed and/or disabled tools like that, reinstall Messenger Plus! and your problems (this one at least) will be solved for now.

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Menthix on 02-22-2011 at 03:56 PM

quote:
When I run a registry cleaner, it finds something related to MsgPlus 5. (I'm attaching the screenshot).
I removed other invalid keys and unmarked the one that leads to "C:\Arquivos de Programas (Program Files)\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\Interface\Images" and WLM was still working like before.
Perfect info! Confirmed, I can now reproduce this error:
  • Start with a normal installation of WLM 2011 and Plus! 5.0.
    Judging from previous posts in this thread it can be reproduced on WLM 2009 too, but Plus! 5.0 is essential.
  • Start Messenger and confirm Plus! is working properly.
  • Close Messenger completely.
    Use Task Manager if you have to, msnmsgr.exe has a tendency to stay in the background sometimes.
  • Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!'.
    On 64 bit Windows go to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!'.
  • Delete the 'ImagesDir' key.
  • Start Messenger, you will now get the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error directly when Messenger attempts to start.
  • Go back to the Registry Editor and recreate the ImagesDir key. Messenger will start again.
    It doesn't even matter what path you point ImagesDir to.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (6.1.7600)
Windows Live Messenger 15.4.1109
Messenger Plus! 5.00.0.702

Messenger Plus! 4.9 didn't have the ImagesDir key, which explains why problems only started recently. In addition to that ImagesDir references to 'C:\Program Files\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\Interface\Images' which is not created by Plus! itself. My guess is registry cleaners and other kind of tuneup software delete this registry key because it refers to an non-existing location. Plus! could create the Images folder but even then the folder would be empty and I'm afraid more aggressive cleaners might delete empty folders too, leading to the same error.

And there are more registry keys in the same location which will cause problems in Plus! when deleted:
  • AppDir = Plus! doesn't load, but Messenger will start fine without Plus!
  • ImagesDir = Runtime Error
  • LangDir = Plus! doesn't load, but Messenger will start fine without Plus!
  • ResourcesDll = Plus! doesn't load, but Messenger will start fine without Plus!
  • WLM-ScriptsDir = Prevents scripts from running
  • WLM-SkinsDir = Prevents skins from running
  • WLM-WorkerDll = Plus! doesn't load, but Messenger will start fine without Plus!
Obviously it is bad behavior of registry cleaners and alike to delete registry keys of other applications. But assuming the cause of this problem is the same for all these people, I don't think it can be ignored as a user error. There is no reason for Messenger shouldn't be able to launch successfully when this registry key is missing. But an even better fix would be to not write these values to registry by default at all and let Plus! figure out the default value on itself. In 99% the user would never change any of these values from it's default. If the user does want to change these values he/she could then manually create them at own risk.
This ImagesDir issue was only been introduced since 5.0 and already caused quite a few reports during the short time it has been out. Only a small portion of people having problems will bother to even bother to post it in the right place. But apart from ImagesDir the other keys listed above cause the less obvious error of Plus! refusing to load, addressing this may fix a lot of of issues. Although I fully agree with Cookie registry cleaners is something to stay away from in the first place.

For everyone who is having this problem:
  • Do you have any registry cleaner or cleanup / security software installed which might be deleting registry keys?
  • If you uninstall this software (or disable it) and re-install Messenger Plus! after that, does Messenger work again?

EDIT: Informed the developers at Yuna about it too. Hopefully they'll have a more permanent fix soon.
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by alkingmafia on 02-22-2011 at 04:18 PM

That's great information apeclys really really thank you thank found the proplam

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by apeclys on 02-23-2011 at 07:07 AM

:D
/|\
/ \

I did not have any problem with Messenger Plus! again. :o)

I don't know if that was the cause of the problem to other users, but since I stopped deleting the registry key, WLM is working perfectly. :$

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-23-2011 at 02:34 PM

Me too!!

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Apatik on 02-23-2011 at 07:05 PM

The ImagesDir runtime error is fixed, Plus! will now use the default directory ".\Interface\Images" in case the registry key is missing. This directory is now also created on install, to avoid the key being flagged by dodgy regcleaners.

Getting fully rid of the regkeys in HKLM would require much more work though, and I'm not too sure it's really necessary in the first place...?

Anyway, thanks everyone for tracking this bug down :)

Edit : post #404, does that mean it doesn't exist? :zippy:

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by blessedguy on 02-23-2011 at 07:08 PM

off-topic

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Edit : post #404, does that mean it doesn't exist?
That means you have disappeared from the shoutbox (A)
RE: RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by luckie70 on 02-23-2011 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
The ImagesDir runtime error is fixed, Plus! will now use the default directory ".\Interface\Images" in case the registry key is missing. This directory is now also created on install, to avoid the key being flagged by dodgy regcleaners.

Getting fully rid of the regkeys in HKLM would require much more work though, and I'm not too sure it's really necessary in the first place...?

Anyway, thanks everyone for tracking this bug down :)

Edit : post #404, does that mean it doesn't exist? :zippy:

Is there another version to download then?

Greetzzz
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Apatik on 02-23-2011 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luckie70

Is there another version to download then?

Greetzzz
Not yet, but in the meantime you can simply reinstall Plus! and stay away from regcleaners :)
RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by Mystical on 02-24-2011 at 05:31 PM

Thank you Menthix:bow:!
I tested it...If I delete the key then I got the error...recreate the key...Work!
Thank you!

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by pressbutton on 02-28-2011 at 03:24 PM

Hey, I can confirm that the problem is because of the missing key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!   ->  ImagesDir
Also, when it doesn't have a value wlm gives the same error. Just type something in it, 0 or 1, anything.

Thanks to you all for fixing this problem! :) (Y)

RE: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error by CookieRevised on 02-28-2011 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pressbutton
Just type something in it, 0 or 1, anything.
You should instead reinstall Messenger Plus!.

The reason why you must not type "something" in it, is because in futur versions that key might get used and if you "just type something" in it you will get errors in the futur.

Instead you should enter the _correct path_ in it. And the easiest way of doing that is to simply reinstall Messenger Plus!.