Shoutbox

(Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) (/showthread.php?tid=96787)

(Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Notch on 02-13-2011 at 03:22 AM

With who should I talk?

RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Arcticwolfx on 02-13-2011 at 05:54 AM

Just write down your solution with as many details as possible. :)

Looking forward to it!

RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Notch on 02-13-2011 at 10:54 AM

I've already talked with totonf about this.
Dunno if is an interesting idea...

So, I can leave some information here about that, if nobody care...

RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Cellgm on 02-17-2011 at 02:18 PM

i dont get what people have problems with ?
you see nicknames/ emails/ display names.

RE: RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by V@no on 02-21-2011 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cellgm
i dont get what people have problems with ?
you see nicknames/ emails/ display names.

I'm guessing they are referring to no-nickname nonsense in WLM2011 (or I certainly hope so, cause that is the biggest reason for me never ever update to that version)
RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Menthix on 02-21-2011 at 10:41 AM

Plus! already has an option to show nicknames in 2011 instead of full names. That is contacts showing nicknames to you. Plus! can't really force your nickname to show to contacts though, that's is a server-side thing. You can just change your full name to your nickname.

RE: RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Arcticwolfx on 02-21-2011 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
You can just change your full name to your nickname.

quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
If you change your Windows Live Profile name, this would allow you to set a custom nickname as well. It's a little less convenient and actually changes your "real name" in your profile, but it is an option.

One way to do this:
-Open Windows Live Messenger
-Press the Alt key to open a menu-bar on top
-Go to Tools > Options.
-In the Personal Information window, click the button "Change Name" behind your current name.
-This will lead you to your Windows Live profile, name changing option page. It will most likely ask you to login prior to this.
-Here it asks you a First and Surname, you can enter whatever you like here.
Certain "unusual characters" will work as well.

RE: RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by V@no on 02-21-2011 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
You can just change your full name to your nickname.
The problem is, some people have their "live" accounts for something more then just messenger. Changing your name is out of questions. Being forced revealing your real name to strangers who you added in your messenger years and years ago is just unacceptable!
RE: (Possible) solution for the "Display names" issue (?) by Menthix on 02-21-2011 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by V@no
The problem is, some people have their "live" accounts for something more then just messenger. Changing your name is out of questions. Being forced revealing your real name to strangers who you added in your messenger years and years ago is just unacceptable!
I fully agree with the privacy aspect. Unfortunately, even if you don't use Messenger 2011, your contacts who do use Messenger 2011 will still see your full name from your Live profile. Which client you use on your side is irrelevant. Hence why Plus! won't be able to help on this issue.