Shoutbox

Official translators, read this - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Official translators, read this (/showthread.php?tid=96864)

Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-17-2011 at 09:58 PM

hey, if you're an official translator of Messenger Plus! and its website, please read this.

i'd like to contact you privately, and as we dont have a special subforum (and cant be done easily either, apparently), the only way i see it can be done is through email. So please, PM me the following information:

- Language you translate into
- Nickname
- Your email address of course

and the info (nick and email) of the other team members aswell, if you're more than one working on the translation.

This is nothing official, but we need to discuss some things as a group.

Note: if you send me your email you're agreeing that i can contact you and that every other translator contacted by me will see your email as well (the idea is to start a conversation, i wont be hiding email addresses :P)

Regards,

Chrono.

PS: Contact me even if you think i know your email address :P

RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 01:58 AM

Hmmmm....

I'm not very keen in sharing my email address with others/unknown people though.

I still strongly think some admin needs to create a new subforum for translators on these forums. Even if it was just for a week or two or whatever. There is no practical or other reason at all not to do it and it has been requested more than enough in the past I think :dodgy:

RE: Official translators, read this by matty on 02-18-2011 at 02:00 AM

I am sure Chrono has your email and is smart enough to BCC everyone...

RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 02:04 AM

Matty,

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Note: if you send me your email you're agreeing that i can contact you and that every other translator contacted by me will see your email as well (the idea is to start a conversation, i wont be hiding email addresses :P)
And even if he uses BCC, you wont be able to reply to 'convos' without revealing your email (unless he will function as the liaison*).

* in that aspect he can better create a new group somewhere. On a place where people can hide their email address.
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 02:09 AM

I want to make it clear that this is not an official thing, i just want to have a conversatrion with all the translators, if there was a subforum it would be much easier :P. i cant ask sunshine for the addresses cause of the obvious privacy issues, so you have to contact me if you want to participate :p

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I still stringly think some admin needs to create a new subforum for translators on these forums
quote:
and cant be done easily either, apparently
i asked wj but he said it was a pain in the ass due to permissions and such :P if wdz was around i'd ask him but you know that he pretty much left already.

quote:
Originally posted by matty
i wont be hiding emails. Sure, i could create an email address that forwards the message to everybody, but as cookie stated, he cant reply without revealing it. Cookie, you can create a spam email address just for this, problem solved :p

quote:
* in that aspect he can better create a new group somewhere. On a place where people can hide their email address.
Any ideas? :P i could create a forum but that seems too complicated considering it will be pretty much a one time thing. Creating a spam address would be the easiest choise (for me at least (A))
RE: RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 02:26 AM

Chrono, Matty, see my reply in private forum.

@Chrono: I'll create (yet another :rolleyes:) 'spam' address, but I find this very ':dodgy:' (I know it's now your fault though).

PS: groups.google.com ? (or doesn't that hide the emails from the participants? - there is a setting to hide FROM emails and replace it with the group's email address - doesn't work as expected)

RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 02:34 AM

quote:
@Chrono: I'll create (yet another :rolleyes:) 'spam' address, but I find this very ':dodgy:' (I know it's now your fault though).
lol yeah, dont blame me. if i find a better solution ill let you know, but for now it will be through email :P. i havent used google groups really so i dont know what can be done with it :p

edit: hey i have used google groups apparently, lol. im in a group with you, in fact :P i'll check it out
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 02:39 AM

quote:
i havent used google groups really so i dont know what can be done with it :p

edit: hey i have used google groups apparently, lol. im in a group with you, in fact :P i'll check it out
Yeah, I checked my email addresses and found the old group from the London meeting we had in 2009 :p

I have just created a new temporary group to explore the thing myself...

EDIT: After some testing we've found that email addresses can't be hidden here either, but such a mailinglist is maybe a better way to communicate than just emailing everybody individually though (by using CC). And when the forums are ported to the new forums, you can easily remove the group.
RE: Official translators, read this by Sunshine on 02-18-2011 at 09:09 AM

Can't this wait 'til the new forums? I'll make you guys a private forum then. That way you won't miss out on any of the translators at that, I'm sure plenty of them aren't that active on these forums.

RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Can't this wait 'til the new forums?
tbh? no...

Becauwe when will that be? We haven't heared/seen anything yet about the new forums (in final beta stage) and it sure must be tested again briefly before it goes public. Even the main site is not yet up-to-date and 100% ready... So when will that all be, in a week, two weeks, three weeks, longer???

The point I was making earlier (and in that other private thread) is that arguments like "can't it wait" or "it wont be needed anymore in a few days anyways so why bother" have been used more than enough in the past to not do it but simply waiting and using those arguments enough until it was indeed too late to do it.

Maybe what Chrono wants to talk about isn't that important, or maybe it is, who knows, but that is beside the point. Each time something like this was requested it was needed (otherwise it wouldn't have been requested) and in fact at that point it would have been already too late to create it (look at the translation issue threads in the beta forum a couple of weeks ago where I already and once again pointed out the need for such a place!).

--

This whole argument if it is needed or not or if it can wait is quite frankly history repeating itself once again.... So, sure, let us argue, think and wonder for yet another few weeks if something should exist or not,.... by then it wont be needed anymore indeed... and then a few weeks later we can start this all over again... :dodgy:
RE: Official translators, read this by Sunshine on 02-18-2011 at 11:50 AM

Hey, it's not my fault there is no private forum for translators on here. I can not make one here, I can on the new one (once it's up again...I have no access to it either now). The plan was for the new forums to get there few weeks after release, but hey guess what: it's not up to me to put them online nor is it up to me to fix the issue they are currently facing with the website and whatnot! So don't start blaming me for asking the known question or telling me I'm repeating history! I'm doing the best I can for you translators...

RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Hey, it's not my fault there is no private forum for translators on here.
So don't start blaming me for asking the known question or telling me I'm repeating history! I'm doing the best I can for you translators...
I never said it was your fault, nor do I (we) blame you for anything ^o)
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Can't this wait 'til the new forums?
it cant :p
quote:
I'm sure plenty of them aren't that active on these forums.

i know and that's too bad :p

i dunno why is cookie complaining, there's no one reading his posts that can do something about it right now (i cant, that's for sure :P)
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Hey, it's not my fault there is no private forum for translators on here. I can not make one here, I can on the new one (once it's up again...I have no access to it either now).
No offence but you're taking attributions that you shouldnt be taking :P. i know you are going to be an admin on the new website but that doesnt mean you should start editing the forums as you please, that's why there will be a staff for the forums :undecided:
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 07:41 PM

quote:
i dunno why is cookie complaining, there's no one reading his posts that can do something about it right now (i cant, that's for sure :P)
Because you don't know who is reading it...

Not posting/complaining about it and simply ignoring the problem is exactly what has been done in the past and the result is we still don't have a private forum for them. :p Who knows, maybe WDZ will return tomorrow and read all this :P (false hope, I know, but still... not saying anything about it isn't going to change things for sure)

---------------

Either way, have you done something yet with that googlegroup/mailingslist? Are you going to use it? Or have you something better in mind (would be great though)? If you're not going to use that mailinglist, say so and I'll remove it (or remove it yourself since you're also owner now :p)
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Not posting/complaining about it and simply ignoring the problem is exactly what has been done in the past and the result is we still don't have a private forum for them.
i think you're disrespecting wdz's work :p seriously, i dont remember all these claims and cries for a translators forum, maybe you can enlighten me though with your usual forum searches :p
quote:
Either way, have you done something yet with that googlegroup/mailingslist? Are you going to use it? Or have you something better in mind (would be great though)? If you're not going to use that mailinglist, say so and I'll remove it (or remove it yourself since you're also owner now :p)
i'll probably use it, that's if i get enough translators to contact me, i've received like 6 or 7 pms about it :P
RE: Official translators, read this by Sunshine on 02-18-2011 at 07:55 PM

quote:
quote:
Hey, it's not my fault there is no private forum for translators on here. I can not make one here, I can on the new one (once it's up again...I have no access to it either now).
No offence but you're taking attributions that you shouldnt be taking :P. i know you are going to be an admin on the new website but that doesnt mean you should start editing the forums as you please, that's why there will be a staff for the forums :undecided:
I'm part of forum staff once we move to new forums. I'm also global admin and as I am Comm. Beta Test & Translation Coordinator I have every right to provide translators with the private forum they so desire. :P
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 07:59 PM

quote:
i think you're disrespecting wdz's work :p seriously, i dont remember all these claims and cries for a translators forum, maybe you can enlighten me though with your usuals forums searches :p
You know very well I'm the last one who would call WDZ lazy (even as a joke), but in this case, maybe yes, he was a bit too lazy. Although I wouldn't blame it on him only though. For starters there is more than one admin (although I don't know how it works internally, maybe WDZ is the only one who knows how to add new private forums), and it takes a forum team to backup such requests.
Plus, I've always defended WDZ's work when it came down to those requests to update the forum and that it would be "easy to do it" and whatnot.

But I'm not going to search for a list of requests or whatever since those requests I'm talking about are all within different threads/subjects and often worded in many different ways (though, all related to translations). As such, it would take too much time to search for them and I don't want to spend that time searching just to proof to you those requests exist. (no offense)

PS: is it just me or do you also see some analogy with many complaints directed towards Yuna? Neither know the complete inner workings and neither know how much work is actually done behind the scene and the true extent of things. What is complained about is what is seen from a distance. With maybe the difference that I do know that WDZ has put a lot of work into this forum. You will never ever see me denying that, on the contrary. So, if my complaint is disrespectfull towards WDZ, then so are many of those complaints towards Yuna...

quote:
quote:
i'll probably use it, that's if i get enough translators to contact me, i've received like 6 or 7 pms about it :P
:(

PS: maybe you could PM the known translators, those with a translator tag (I assumed you already did though). Because many of them are indeed not that active on these forums to read threads like this (again maybe the result of not having their own place here, and thus not accustomed to regulary visit the forums because why bother anyways if nothing is posted here for them specifically, who knows)

Or, maybe Sunshine can make a mail (in your name) towards all the translators with your request. I know Patchou has done similar stuff in the past though, to notify translators of some unofficial thread or information which might concern the official translators (again because there was otherwise no way to contact them because there wasn't a private forum).
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 08:14 PM

quote:
PS: is it just me or do you also see some analogy with many complaints directed towards Yuna? If my complaint is disrespectfull towards WDZ, then so are those complaints towards Yuna.....
but wdz is a guy, yuna's a company. WDZ has done well for 8 years, yuna has done awfully wrong for (less than?) one year. i couldnt care less if we disrespect yuna :P i respect wdz for everthing he managed to do in all these years.

quote:
PS: maybe you could PM the known translators, those with a translator tag (I assumed you already did though). Because many of them are indeed not that active on these forums to read threads like this (again maybe the result of not having their own place here, and thus not accustomed to regulary visit the forums because why bother anyways if nothing is posted here for them specifically, who knows)
i dont know an easy way to find all the people with translators tags.
quote:

Or, maybe Sunshine can make a mail (in your name) towards all the translators with your request.
uhm i dunno :p
quote:
I'm part of forum staff once we move to new forums. I'm also global admin and as I am Comm. Beta Test & Translation Coordinator I have every right to provide translators with the private forum they so desire. :P
urgh ok, whatever :undecided:
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 08:23 PM

quote:
i respect wdz for everthing he managed to do in all these years.
So do I, let that be clear. But that doesn't mean one couldn't complain about something he (or others?) didn't do/forgot to do/whatever for whatever very unclear and unknown reason...

quote:
i dont know an easy way to find all the people with translators tags.
I once had a list of many of them, maybe I can find it and update it. But yeah, there is no easy way.
I guess reading and skimming thru the translation forum threads would be a start.

But this is something Sunshine could help with maybe. Without revealing their email, she could give the list of their forum names, if she has it.
RE: Official translators, read this by prashker on 02-18-2011 at 09:32 PM

Someone with access to the forum DB, write a simple query to return the users with Translator tags :p.

RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Someone with access to the forum DB, write a simple query to return the users with Translator tags :p.
There's no one around able to do it atm :P
RE: Official translators, read this by prashker on 02-18-2011 at 09:57 PM

quote:
quote:
There's no one around able to do it atm :P
And now we've learned a valuable lesson.
RE: Official translators, read this by Menthix on 02-18-2011 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Someone with access to the forum DB, write a simple query to return the users with Translator tags
As I understood it it is not that easy on DZBB... there are translators who are also testers... there are translators who are also elites... there are translators who are also mods. Those are all in separate usergroups, new groups will have to be created for all of those and permissions set properly. In short: DZBB doesn't allow people to be a member of multiple groups, so you need groups for every possible combination. Or at least that's what I always understood is the big hassle of doing groups on this board.

For example: I am in the 'Elite Beta-and-DownDB-Testing Sound Moderators' group... which probably doesn't have much more than 1 member :p. You can see your own group on http://shoutbox.menthix.net/usercp.php

And what Chrini said :p.
RE: Official translators, read this by prashker on 02-18-2011 at 10:17 PM

I'm sure that's no problem to do, add some more params in the query and maybe a wildcard somewhere, but I doubt even that would make it that much harder.

RE: Official translators, read this by Menthix on 02-18-2011 at 10:22 PM

Oh, you're talking about just retuning a list of translators, yes, that wouldn't be hard if there was someone around to do it. I thought you were talking about setting up a private translators section on this board.

:p

RE: Official translators, read this by albert on 02-18-2011 at 10:26 PM

This might sound silly but.. How about simply creating a Facebook group and adding in the testers..? Most people already have each other, and you don't need to be friends to be in the same group, ergo you can hide your full info.. Just have everyone send you their facebook username in PM (here) and add them to the group afterwards.

That's what we do for my soccer team. No one see's anyone private info (unless you put your real name on facebook, in which case it's public anyways), and everyone can see all the threads, comments, and even chat with the whole group..

RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-18-2011 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
How about simply creating a Facebook group and adding in the testers..?
Sorry, but hell no! I'm not going to create a FB account just for that. :p

A simple mailinglist is sufficient. And if it is about email privacy than there are probably mailinglists which can fully hide the FROM field too (I just don't know any).
As Chrono said before, creating a 'spam' email address just for this is not that much of an effort and way less hassle than joining social crap sites (imho). You can redirect your email from that 'spam' email to your normal email.

---

@Chrono (and admins of current forum and Yuna people responsible for DB/and those groups): I've just skimmed thru many threads and have made a list of translators. However, I noticed that the "translator" sticker is extremely out of date (and I'm not just talking about the transition between Plus! 4 and 5). Aka: the translator sticker doesn't mean much anymore, it is very very very inaccurate.

Bottom line, if you want to have an accurate list, you need to ask Sunshine.
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 02-18-2011 at 10:58 PM

quote:
@Chrono (and admins of current forum and Yuna people responsible for DB/and those groups): I've just skimmed thru many threads and have made a list of translators. However, I noticed that the "translator" sticker is extremely out of date (and I'm not just talking about the transition between Plus! 4 and 5). Aka: the translator sticker doesn't mean much anymore, it is very very very inaccurate.

Bottom line, if you want to have an accurate list, you need to ask Sunshine.
That's true, thanks for the reminder :p
RE: Official translators, read this by albert on 02-18-2011 at 11:47 PM

[off-topic]

quote:
Sorry, but hell no! I'm not going to create a FB account just for that.
Haha, I've been warned you'd be totally against it. :P

quote:
As Chrono said before, creating a 'spam' email address just for this is not that much of an effort and way less hassle than joining social crap sites (imho). You can redirect your email from that 'spam' email to your normal email.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people actually already have facebook, and creating such account is faster than a new e-mail if i recall correctly.. :P

but anyhow, it was just a suggestion. :P

[/off-topic]
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-19-2011 at 12:01 AM

quote:
I'm pretty sure a lot of people actually already have facebook, and creating such account is faster than a new e-mail if i recall correctly..
That's true...

but nononononononono :tongue:

[off-topic]
quote:
quote:
Sorry, but hell no! I'm not going to create a FB account just for that.
Haha, I've been warned you'd be totally against it. :P
Yeah, dodgy Patchou trying to force me.... :p
[/off-topic]

RE: RE: Official translators, read this by rix on 02-22-2011 at 10:45 PM

quote:
I'm not very keen in sharing my email address with others/unknown people though.

Keeping this point in mind, have you thought about mailing list? No need to publish your e-mail address. Slightly oldschool, but as long as the thing is working, it's okay.

I don't remember correctly, but shouldn't all translators have access to the private Beta testing forum? If so, why can't discussion take place there? The point was that it was private, so the Beta forum should be appropriate enough.

OT: Oh, is the old website online somewhere? I thought i made a copy of it locally, but it seems no.
RE: Official translators, read this by CookieRevised on 02-22-2011 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
Keeping this point in mind, have you thought about mailing list? No need to publish your e-mail address. Slightly oldschool, but as long as the thing is working, it's okay.
Yes, that is the first thing I thought about, hence the Google groups suggestion (which is a mailinglist...with the difference that you can also access it from your browser if you whish).

But even with (most) mailinglists your email address is revealed though (as well as with the Google Groups). I haven't come across a mailinglist yet which hides the email address of the sender (probably because that also involves a security risk - spamming/phising/etc, and it is hard to determine who mailed what if they don't add a signature). If you know one, please share it by all means!

quote:
Originally posted by rix
I don't remember correctly, but shouldn't all translators have access to the private Beta testing forum? If so, why can't discussion take place there? The point was that it was private, so the Beta forum should be appropriate enough.

The problem is that Translators do not have access to the Beta Forum and they do not have their own private forum either....

-------

OT:
quote:
Originally posted by rix
OT: Oh, is the old website online somewhere? I thought i made a copy of it locally, but it seems no.

http://www.msgpluslive.com/?lang=en still points to the old site for me

RE: RE: RE: Official translators, read this by ZrednaZ on 02-23-2011 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix

www.msgpluslive.dk
RE: Official translators, read this by rix on 03-25-2011 at 11:34 AM

Ooh, you're all so chatty, i can't read 'em all...

So, i see that nothing has happened. So, it means that we actually don't have anything important to discuss about, but mostly i believe that nobody bothers to make a room for us. Therefore, isn't it easier to make a private subforum at this forums? Cause all in all, i think it would be convenient for now and for future purposes to have a place for our own.

For instance, i've completed website translation long time ago and am now just waiting for others to finish. What are you doing, guys?

RE: Official translators, read this by albert on 03-25-2011 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
So, i see that nothing has happened.
:O!!!
[joke]
On the contrary, everything that chromo planned happened! First off, he got Patch kicked out of plus! forever!!!!!!!!!11 then he got WDZ to give up admins right to him!!!!!!!!!! it's the end of the world!! the end of the world I tell you!!
[/joke]
RE: Official translators, read this by Chrono on 03-25-2011 at 10:32 PM

you forgot to white up the [/joke] :p

But yeah, you discovered my evil plans ;(

RE: Official translators, read this by albert on 03-26-2011 at 01:06 AM

quote:
you forgot to white up the [/joke]
did it on purpose actually, so that people that don't select all the text actually notice it. :P
RE: Official translators, read this by rix on 03-26-2011 at 02:25 AM

Someone please give me a pillow to cry on. I have been living in lies, my world is devastated. Why? :|

RE: Official translators, read this by Thor on 03-27-2011 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rix
Someone please give me a pillow to cry on. I have been living in lies, my world is devastated. Why? :|
WHY OH GOD WHY

I'm not sure what I was going to communicate with this post...

Well, for one: it seems that more time is being spent discussing how to discuss rather than actually discussing what we want to discuss. I somehow doubt that having your email address revealed to a select group of official translators pose a grave privacy risk. :-/