Shoutbox

Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to (/showthread.php?tid=96986)

Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to by Chrissy on 03-03-2011 at 07:07 PM

Basically, I want to boot win7 installation from my laptop hard drive (theirs nothing on it). Once it's booted up, I want to then install it to the hard drive I'm booting from. Is this possible? Will I have to partition it into 2?

I try using a USB Stick, but at the last minute it hangs for hours. I Googled this and it's due to USB. If you disable it, it installs fine. I can't becuase I have no CD tray on my laptop nor an external reader.

So I need to install it to and from the HDD :(

Any Ideas :/

RE: Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to by matty on 03-03-2011 at 07:48 PM

If you manage to boot the installation from the drive you can install too as long as you don't need to format drive.

RE: Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to by Chrissy on 03-03-2011 at 08:34 PM

Think I've got it.

I formatted the drive, shrink it by 20GB and made another partition. I formatted it to FAT32, copied the files & marked it as active and assigned a drive letter to it.

Seems to be working, lets hope I get past the 'Completing Installation'.

RE: Installing Windows 7 to the same hard drive that I'm installing to by albert on 03-04-2011 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

I try using a USB Stick, but at the last minute it hangs for hours. I Googled this and it's due to USB.

What is due to USB exactly.. What problem does USB cause..?

How did you put Win7 on the USB drive? Did you use this method: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-...install-windows-7/ because that should be working fine..