Shoutbox

Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! (/showthread.php?tid=97086)

Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-16-2011 at 07:53 PM

I've decided to update NudgeScriptTools for WLM 2011, I call it Nudger. Ran into a few compatibility problems oddly enough, but ironing those out :) Screenie below.

[Image: 11icqq1.jpg]

I'm a new dev/script creator, go easy :P. Doing this by popular request :)

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by CookieRevised on 03-16-2011 at 09:43 PM

Errrm, have you asked permission to TheGuruSupremacy to use his code and republish his script under a different name?

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-16-2011 at 11:50 PM

First of all, no, I haven't asked for his permission. But I'd never steal other peoples work and rebrand it as my own code, he made it so I'm crediting him in every way possible. If I get into contact with him, I'll ask him.

And that was only the first stage (stripping version checking). It actually doesn't seem to nudge multiple times at all; Microsoft have changed WLM2011 considerably.

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by CookieRevised on 03-17-2011 at 12:12 AM

In another thread you're saying you're "fairly new to scripting etc". As such I very strongly recommend not to alter other people's scripts. Especially not if you don't (yet) have permission from them and especially in such advanced scripts as the ones from TheGuruSupremacy!!! You should not alter something you don't fully and truly understand how it works. No offense though.

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-17-2011 at 12:14 AM

I don't know how all of it works, but I understand a good lot, just leave me be to learn and you may be suprised at what I achieve :)

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Arcticwolfx on 03-17-2011 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fike
I don't know how all of it works, but I understand a good lot, just leave me be to learn and you may be suprised at what I achieve :)

That's a great attitude Fike and I encourage your effort in updating an otherwise lost script!

However, it is in fact not really ethically correct to actually change someone's script and give it a different name, is it? You should rather just publish the updated code here on the forum without changing anything else. By uploading it under a different name, some people might get the impression that you're the original author, even if you've given credit.

At the very least, you should call it something along the lines of "NudgesToolsScripts Updated."

In it's current state, I'd even vote for having this script, "Nudger," to be removed from the database.. unless actually given permission by original Author. This would be a shame to an otherwise helpful script update though.
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Menthix on 03-17-2011 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
I'd even vote for having this script, "Nudger," to be removed from the database
It isn't in the database.
RE: RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-17-2011 at 12:34 AM

quote:
quote:

That's a great attitude Fike and I encourage your effort in updating an otherwise lost script!

However, it is in fact not really ethically to actually change someone's script and give it a different name, is it? You should rather just publish the updated code here on the forum without changing anything else. By uploading it under a different name, some people might get the impression that you're the original author, even if you've given credit.

At the very least, you should call it something along the lines of "NudgesToolsScripts Updated."

In it's current state, I'd even vote for having this script, "Nudger," to be removed from the database.. unless actually given permission by original Author. This would be a shame to an otherwise helpful script update though.

I'm not currently working on it, I've got millions of things to be working on at the moment. Will work on it tomorrow.

And yes, you are right, and I shall rename the script. I probably won't release it on the database (I've heard rumours the original dev will update it ASAP) but once finished I'll upload as an attachment here :).
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Arcticwolfx on 03-17-2011 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:

Okay, hypothetically, I'd vote for this script to not be allowed to be published in it's current state. :P (No matter if it would or wouldn't anyway.)

quote:
quote:
quote:

However, it is in fact not really ethically to actually change someone's script and give it a different name, is it? You should rather just publish the updated code here on the forum without changing anything else. By uploading it under a different name, some people might get the impression that you're the original author, even if you've given credit.

I'm not currently working on it, I've got millions of things to be working on at the moment. Will work on it tomorrow.

And yes, you are right, and I shall rename the script. I probably won't release it on the database (I've heard rumours the original dev will update it ASAP) but once finished I'll upload as an attachment here :).

That sounds great and I look forward to seeing your progress in scripting... Perhaps soon we will see your very own scripts appear?
RE: RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-17-2011 at 12:44 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:

Okay, hypothetically, I'd vote for this script to not be allowed to be published in it's current state. :P (No matter if it would or wouldn't anyway.)

quote:
quote:
quote:

That sounds great and I look forward to seeing your progress in scripting... Perhaps soon we will see your very own scripts appear?

It obviously wouldn't be published in it's current state, it doesn't even work fully yet D:

I think perhaps this script might be able to point me in a good direction, and I can learn the basics from it (windows, toasts etc.)

Thanks for your input :)
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by CookieRevised on 03-17-2011 at 05:22 PM

quote:
I think perhaps this script might be able to point me in a good direction, and I can learn the basics from it (windows, toasts etc.)
There are much better and much easier scripts to learn the basics of scripting/programming from. Again, please do not alter and republish scripts without the original author's approval. Especially advanced scripts which require advanced scripting and programming knowledge (and in this case even reverse engineering), since there is much more going on than the 'basic' things.

It is not the proper way to learn scripting. Instead start with easier to understand scripts. Make your own small basic scripts and learn from there as you go. You'll find it will be a lot easier and faster to learn scripting in that way.

It is also not really opportune to say everywhere that you're going to have an update for NudgeToolsScript for the latest WLM version if you don't even know how it works, etc... Again, I understand your enthiousiasm to learn scripting, and your willingness to help out and to provide people with updates of scripts, but this isn't the way to do it.
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-17-2011 at 05:50 PM

Ok. I made a bad entrance to the community, I'm sorry.

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by matty on 03-17-2011 at 05:59 PM

quote:
You appear to be ambitious. Learn a bit, script a bit and develop a lot ;)
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by CookieRevised on 03-17-2011 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Don't be sorry though!...  Afterall, it wasn't bad 'bad', it was... enthiousiastic/ambitious ;)

Now, open that scripting documentation and start scripting :p
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by Fike on 03-17-2011 at 07:14 PM

Yessir! :D

I've found the perfect way to make a good start, if I complete it I'll submit to the database :)

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by R120 on 08-12-2011 at 01:46 AM

Great idea. Cant wait.

Any updates?

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by R120 on 10-04-2011 at 07:22 AM

What's happening with this script?

Please respond. :)

RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by riahc4 on 12-16-2011 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Errrm, have you asked permission to TheGuruSupremacy to use his code and republish his script under a different name?
AFAIK, he didnt put any license on the script or anything. He can copy and paste it, rename it, and call it his own.

Dirty? Yes of course. But we are talking morals here, not legal.

I say go for it since the original author doesnt want to update it. And we will thank YOU not the original author.
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by CookieRevised on 12-16-2011 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
AFAIK, he didnt put any license on the script or anything. He can copy and paste it, rename it, and call it his own.

I say go for it since the original author doesnt want to update it. And we will thank YOU not the original author.
Congratulations in mingling into a conversation which is almost 1 year old and replying to a post completely out of context. Nobody is talking 'legal' here, as you may read from all the further posts in this thread.
RE: Nudger 1.00 - Updated NudgesToolsScripts! by riahc4 on 12-17-2011 at 08:52 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:

Congratulations in mingling into a conversation which is almost 1 year old and replying to a post completely out of context. Nobody is talking 'legal' here, as you may read from all the further posts in this thread.
I apologize then :) Saw this thread up on top and thought it was recent :)