Shoutbox

Suggestion about Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion about Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=97105)

Suggestion about Plus! by Spunky on 03-18-2011 at 01:32 PM

I'm just thinking, would it be a good idea to have Plus! update the MyPlus! accounts of users with the version information of Plus, WLM and Windows?

It would make it quicker and easier than asking a user that posts to the forums. I know not everyone has an account linked to their Plus!, but it would be a good incentive to do so.

It could even generate a list of installed programs so we can quickly see compatibility issues.

I know it would take more space server side, but the benefits could potentially outweigh that.

I'm also aware it could be a breach of privacy, so we could make it opt-in or so only certain people (Devs/other staff) can see it?

Thoughts?

RE: Suggestion about Plus! by CookieRevised on 03-18-2011 at 02:40 PM

Would that work?

I mean, what if their connection was broken the moment Plus! sends this info, and after that they install a newer/older version? What if they use version X on the laptop and version Y on their PC and version Z at work... What if...

The idea is nice in theory, but I'm not convinced it would solve that much in practice and if it would be accurate info. As such, you still would be asking the user what version etc he has. Even if it was just to confirm the data on MyPlus!. So, in the end, you would still need to ask him stuff and making extra posts...

PS: I consider the list of installed programs a bigger privacy issue than knowing the Plus!/WLM/Windows version though. And I'm not sure such a list should be generated automatically without the ability for the user to edit it first. Either way, the same concerns apply here too; how accurate would that be in cases where the user is on a different PC than the one he has troubles with?

RE: Suggestion about Plus! by matty on 03-18-2011 at 02:44 PM

The moment I started reading your post I immediately thought that people would accuse Yuna of data mining. But your idea makes some sense and I like it however not everyone is going to have a MyPlus! account which you already covered.

RE: Suggestion about Plus! by Nagamasa on 03-18-2011 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
The moment I started reading your post I immediately thought that people would accuse Yuna of data mining. But your idea makes some sense and I like it however not everyone is going to have a MyPlus! account which you already covered.
In the future, I thought the Forums will merge with the rest of site, and your forum account becomes your MyPlus! account?
RE: Suggestion about Plus! by Lou on 03-18-2011 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by matty
In the future, I thought the Forums will merge with the rest of site, and your forum account becomes your MyPlus! account?
That's the plan, but not all installations of Plus! will be linked to a myplus account, as one is not necessary unless the person wants to log their chats online.
RE: Suggestion about Plus! by Menthix on 03-19-2011 at 02:02 AM

Agree with Cookie.

For privacy concerns it would have to be opt-in, meaning the majority of people we would still have to ask them to turn it on. With some clear steps which everyone understands we could also just ask them to post it manually. So for support purposes I wouldn't find it that much of a solution.

However, it is still an interesting idea. People who want it can show of which skins/scripts etc. the installed on their profile. But in any case it should be completely opt-in and only related to Plus! (showing WLM and Plus! version is fine, but no list of other installed apps).