Shoutbox

Problem with smilies - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Problem with smilies (/showthread.php?tid=97140)

Problem with smilies by wild child on 03-20-2011 at 12:44 AM

Please could you assist me?

Yesterday I received an update for messenger plus which I accepted and downloaded.

Now all of my default smilies are completely messed up, infact in most cases, 2 emotes are in the same selection box. Could you please tell me how to fix this problem?

RE: Problem with smilies by Arcticwolfx on 03-20-2011 at 01:20 AM

Hi wild child,

what exactly did you install? I wonder why you got the update only yesterday, or haven't you been using Live Messenger before? The last update to Messenger Plus! was released about two weeks ago.

RE: Problem with smilies by Dex Luther on 03-21-2011 at 04:02 AM

I just got the update 5 minutes ago (Yuna's Messenger Plus 5), and I'm having the same problem.

PS: I use Messenger every day, so I don't know why I didn't get it two weeks ago.

RE: Problem with smilies by Arcticwolfx on 03-21-2011 at 09:30 AM

I would attempt a clean re-install.

Any details on other Windows Live Messenger add-ons that are installed might help pinpoint the cause of this issue.

As there seem to be fairly little reports on this, a simple re-install or reboot may fix the issue.

Is this thread perhaps related to error in messenger icon (all skins) ?

RE: Problem with smilies by CookieRevised on 03-21-2011 at 03:16 PM

Sidenote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
PS: I use Messenger every day, so I don't know why I didn't get it two weeks ago.
Automatic updates are never enabled the moment a new version is out, for several reasons. Usually it is only enabled at least a week after the actual release, and even then it can take some more time. This said, there were also some problems with the auto-update indication at first, delaying the auto-update a bit more. And currently it still doesn't always trigger a new update either.
RE: Problem with smilies by Dex Luther on 03-21-2011 at 05:18 PM

I just reinstalled MSN and Plus 5, and still have the same issue.

RE: Problem with smilies by durr on 03-21-2011 at 07:17 PM

I have the same problem. I'm using WLM 2009 and Messenger Plus! version 5.01.0.706 with fuse 1.0.4 skin. I've never encountered this problem before until yesterdays automatic update.

RE: Problem with smilies by Arcticwolfx on 03-21-2011 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by durr
I have the same problem. I'm using WLM 2009 and Messenger Plus! version 5.01.0.706 with fuse 1.0.4 skin. I've never encountered this problem before until yesterdays automatic update.

Does switching to the default skin help?
RE: Problem with smilies by durr on 03-21-2011 at 11:32 PM

Yeah, actually it did. So apparently fuse 1.0.4 doesn't work well with the newest version of Messenger Plus! for some reason. I guess I'll have to start using a different skin or install older version of Messenger Plus!, unless there's some other solution?

RE: RE: Problem with smilies by Fike on 03-22-2011 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Yeah, actually it did. So apparently fuse 1.0.4 doesn't work well with the newest version of Messenger Plus! for some reason. I guess I'll have to start using a different skin or install older version of Messenger Plus!, unless there's some other solution?

It isn't Plus! that's the issue, it's WLM. I take it you're using WLM 2011 with the latest public build of Plus!

Because Mircosoft changed so many things around in WLM 2011, some Plus! skins won't work properly. It's up to the designers/creators to update their skins.

If I'm wrong, please don't flame me! I'm a newb to skins, I deal with scripts :D
RE: Problem with smilies by Arcticwolfx on 03-22-2011 at 10:47 AM

So far the diagnosis for these symptoms; It seems to be occurring when an incompatible skin is used with Windows Live Messenger 2011.

Please try switching to the default skin or find a skin compatible for Windows Live Messenger 2011. On top of that, you could also consider using Windows Live Messenger 2009 instead.

In the skins database you can search for skins by compatibility, by selecting "Live Messenger 2011" in the "Version" drop-down menu and pressing the Search button.

Also note the details next to each skin preview thumbnail.

[Image: skincompatibilityy.jpg]

Note: This may not be the sole cause for these symptoms.

RE: Problem with smilies by blessedguy on 03-22-2011 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fike
Because Mircosoft changed so many things around in WLM 2011, some Plus! skins won't work properly. It's up to the designers/creators to update their skins.
Yes, but we prevent that by adding some tags to the skin files that prevent them from loading in incompatible versions (A)

Now, if I recall correctly, there was a problem with emoticons Willz fixed some time ago. Are you using the latest build of WLM2009?

One of the changes it broght was the removal of repeated "i'm" emoticons, which ended up messing with emoticons. I'll take a look at that later, anyways :)

RE: Problem with smilies by durr on 03-22-2011 at 07:15 PM

WLM 2011 is not the issue here because, as I stated earlier, I'm using WLM 2009. The build is 14.0.8117.416. It should be the latest, right? I suppose I could try reinstalling WLM 2009 and Messenger Plus! Maybe that would fix the problem. I could also try looking for another skin, although I quite like this one.

RE: Problem with smilies by CookieRevised on 03-22-2011 at 07:23 PM

quote:
The build is 14.0.8117.416. It should be the latest, right?
Yes, it is (for WLM 2009).

quote:
I suppose I could try reinstalling WLM 2009 and Messenger Plus!
You could, but that will most likely not solve anything.

What you can do however, to rule out a Plus!5 issue, is uninstall Plus!5 (keep your settings though), and re-install Plus!4 (also downloadable from the official download site) and try the same skin.

If it has the same problem than it is either a WLM issue or an issue with the skin.

If it is a skin issue, the only thing you can do is to install another skin.

(after testing with Plus!4, I suggest you re-install Plus!5 again. But don't forget to first uninstall Plus!4 in that case.