Shoutbox

HP Laptop issue i'm having - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: HP Laptop issue i'm having (/showthread.php?tid=97297)

HP Laptop issue i'm having by YourNeibour on 04-05-2011 at 12:05 PM

I'm not sure if this is a hardward or software issue but here is my senerio:

I have a laptop HPDV6000 Laptop, 320GB Hard drive (new), 2 Gigs of ram (1 gig added), Battery (new).  The last serveral weeks (maybe 3 or 4) the laptop goes into sleep mode for some unknown reason right now I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed.  It doesn't happen all the time there are days where the laptop can run for hours on end and it's perfect and other days it just goes into sleep mode after a few hours of running.  I am thinking the fan maybe going but I'm not sure as I don't feel it running hot at all.  Can someone give me some suggestions on this?

thank you

RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by Arcticwolfx on 04-05-2011 at 12:21 PM

I assume this happens randomly while the laptop is in use? So it's not caused by the "Power Saving" settings in Windows 7. You should also check if this happens while the laptop is plugged in or plugged out of the power socket.

Does it "wake up" from sleep mode normally?

Are you not accidentally hitting the "Sleep Mode" keyboard combination? (Windows Key, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, S)

From there on, there are numerous causes for this to happen.. From browsing the web, people seem to have had this problem due to something odd such as bad USB keyboard drivers.

You should try and install any available HP and Windows Updates.
If that doesn't help, perhaps a System Restore is in order?

A similar HP laptop model has been to known to have this issue due to the Video Adapter.

If all else fails, I suggest contacting HP themselves - Hopefully you still have warranty on your laptop.

PS.: Here's a questionable solution:
Press Windows Key + R to open the "Run.." window.
Type "cmd" but hold Ctrl and Shift while pressing Enter.
This opens the "Command Line" in Administrator mode.
Enter the following command:
"powercfg -h off" (without the quotes)

This should disable the "Hibernation mode" entirely, though it may not be a desired alternative for you and there's but a small chance it helps, but you may want to give it a try non the less.

RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by YourNeibour on 04-05-2011 at 12:45 PM

yes this happens while it's plugged and I've disabled the power saving in the laptop.   it usually takes me 2 or 3 times for it to  boot up properly after this happens....I've installed all the HP drivers and Windows 7 drivers and updates available.

I'll try that "hybernation disable" and see if that helps.  There have been a few times when I boot up the laptop after the "sleep mode thing" and it gives me a blue screen.

RE: RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by Arcticwolfx on 04-05-2011 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
  There have been a few times when I boot up the laptop after the "sleep mode thing" and it gives me a blue screen.

That really does sound like a problem you'll want to contact HP for.

(If you don't have warranty a system restore or a clean re-install may be an option as well)
RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by YourNeibour on 04-05-2011 at 03:23 PM

A clean install was done 2 months ago.  Would it be a fan issue?

RE: RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by Arcticwolfx on 04-05-2011 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
A clean install was done 2 months ago.  Would it be a fan issue?

You can run Speedfan in the background to monitor the temperature of various hardware.
RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by YourNeibour on 04-05-2011 at 04:46 PM

I'll give it a try and see what happens

RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by nimicitor on 04-05-2011 at 06:27 PM

Also try reading the dump (.DMP) file that is usually created during a blue screen error. It can give you a guide of what caused it.

WhoCrashed is a simple way to do this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

RE: HP Laptop issue i'm having by YourNeibour on 04-06-2011 at 07:01 PM

I've give that a try as well thank you