Shoutbox

Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=97353)

Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 07:52 PM

Ok so I've tried this 3 or 4 times now and it still isn't working. I've been using WLM for many MANY years, and never have had an issue, at least no major ones I couldn't figure out how to fix on my own or with my friends help. I didn't have issues with Plus! either...until now.

For some reason when I installed the new Messenger Plus! my WLM(newest version as well) decided to go crazy on me. At first it wouldn't log in at all and continued to get the "WLM has stopped working" error message and would restart, then I'd try again and get the same thing. Finally when I got it to log in it will not open Messenger itself. It's logged in but I can't open the main window to see or do anything. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Plus! multiple times to see if WLM itself was messing up or having problems, it wasn't. It worked just fine without Plus!. I've tried to temporarily disable all of my virus/spyware protection to see if that would work, it didn't. I've restarted my computer to see if it would work, again no good.

My computer runs on Windows Vista, I believe...I don't know if that is relavent or not but I thought I would state it. I really don't have much use for plus other than using multiple accounts at once and while I can live without it it's just a hassle to have to log out of one account and log into another over and over again just to keep tabs on things. So really I just want to find a way to open my messenger and get it fully working again.

I'm afraid to uninstall messenger completey because I don't want to lose any history, chat logs, smilies, previously used 'aps' for Plus and all that. I know the smilies part sounds silly but all the ones I use I'd only be able to get about half of them back, the others are from people that no longer are on IM for me to get them from and a couple of them are kind of important, as odd as that may sound.

I don't know if this has been asked before, I've looked and found no one with the same issue...if this has been answered then I'm sorry for being a pain. I just really am frustrated that I know WLM is working fine, but Plus!, though I've used it before, is no longer wanting to function correctly.

Thank you in advance for any help I may receive.

EDIT: Also small note...I don't remember if the WLM icon is suppose to change to a Plus! icon...if it is it's not doing that. Just thought I'd state that..trying to give as much information as possible.

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-12-2011 at 07:55 PM

Do you have anything else like Plus! installed alongside? And do you have A-Patch?

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 07:58 PM

I wouldn't know what else to have installed that would be like Plus!

Also no I don't have A-Patch, I don't know what that is...if that's relavent to possibly fixing this then I may have tried to get it already but it wouldn't take me to the page...I know I went to try and get a patch before but it wouldn't load.

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by matty on 04-12-2011 at 08:01 PM

Are you running Windows Live Messenger in Compatibility mode? Right Click the EXE and click Properties > Click the Compatibility tab.

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 08:02 PM

Ok I'll check that...Ok it seems that I'm not running it on Compatibility mode...should I try that?

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-12-2011 at 08:05 PM

No, don't try to run it in compatibility mode. It might be related to another program taking up memory on your computer.

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 08:07 PM

How would less memory impact a window from opening? If that was a case wouldn't that mean I wouldn't be able to open things like Interent Explorer and such? I can still message people, but I can't open messenger itself. It's hard to explain...I could try taking screen shots, maybe?

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-12-2011 at 08:12 PM

I suppose you're right. Yes, do take screenshots, it will help :)

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 08:20 PM

Alright will do.

[Image: messagingwindow.jpg]

You see I can open up a messaging window just fine. But...

[Image: messengerwindow2.jpg]

when I go to open messenger the window doesn't come up.

[Image: messengerwindow3.jpg]

Also I can open this window by clicking the 'Send an instant message...' options on the list you see in the second picture.

But the WLM window itself will not open...

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 08:38 PM

Oh one more thing...this window still pops up. After I sign in...well...you know the issue by now:

[Image: messengerwindow4.jpg]

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-12-2011 at 11:14 PM

Can anyone offer any possible solutions? I really don't know what else to try here to possibly fix this issue. Anyone at all?

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-14-2011 at 12:12 AM

Ok again I have gone through and uninstalled Messenger Plus! I even found older versions (Plus! Live) and uninstalled them and deleted the set up files. I did this (uninstalled and reinstalled) multiple times over and over again and even tried to install the old Plus! Live version to see if it would work since I've used it before....it's not working. Still I have the issue that WLM works perfectly fine and will open without Plus! but with Plus! it will not open.

I'm really hoping someone will give me some kind of suggestion of what to do here...it's really frustrating that I can't get it to work and I really would like ANY kind of tips at this point.

Please and thank you in advance.

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 07:59 AM

What operating system is your PC running at the moment? (eg. Windows XP, Vista, 7)

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-14-2011 at 05:58 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm running Windows Vista...if not then Windows XP. I can't remember exacty which at this moment.

Thank you for you continuing to try and help.

RE: RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FireFang1331
I'm pretty sure I'm running Windows Vista...if not then Windows XP. I can't remember exacty which at this moment.

Thank you for you continuing to try and help.

What does your taskbar look like? I mean that bar at the bottom of the screen with the start menu on it.

Does it have blue-gray colours? Blue and green? or is it clear?
RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-14-2011 at 06:40 PM

I call it more a black...here this might help. (I find pictures/screenshots so useful):

[Image: taskbard.jpg]

RE: RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FireFang1331
I call it more a black...here this might help. (I find pictures/screenshots so useful):

[Image: taskbard.jpg]

Ok that's Vista, I'll take a look further later, going to a wedding :)
RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-14-2011 at 06:51 PM

Alrighty thanks a bunch Horseboy! :) Have fun at that wedding!

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-16-2011 at 11:36 PM

You find anything yet that could be helpful, Horseboy? Anyone at all?

RE: Messenger Not Opening After Installing Plus! by FireFang1331 on 04-21-2011 at 07:24 PM

I'm guess that means, no, you didn't find anything...