Shoutbox

[WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=97368)

[WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-13-2011 at 01:01 PM

Pastebin for Messenger Plus!
Easily post code to Pastebin!

[Image: 2011-04-15_1315.png]

The Pastebin for Messenger Plus! script will allow you to easily paste long code/long text to Pastebin's free service using the new version of their API. Simply type "/paste" in a chat window, type the title of the paste, the type of code (almost 150 languages supported!) and then what you want to paste.

Features:

• Type "/paste" in a chat window, fill in paste details, it'll paste it and copy the link to your chat window.
  • Change almost everything; name of the paste, programming language and much more!

Roadmap:
  • Post pastes using your account, easy but I'm not going to implement it yet.
  • Allow more configuration via an editable txt file.

If you have any suggestions on what I should add, feel free to make a post on this thread :)
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-13-2011 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Horseboy

The Pastebin for Messenger Plus! script will allow you to easily paste long code/long text to Pastebin's free service using the new version of their API. Simply type "/paste" in a chat window, type the title of the paste, the type of code (almost 150 languages supported!) and then what you want to paste. Screenshots coming soon!

Features:
  • Type "/paste" in a chat window, fill in paste details, it'll paste it and copy the link to your chat window.
  • Type "/pquick" followed by text to paste it on-the-fly without changing parameters. Pastes in plain text by default.

If you have any suggestions on what I should add, feel free to make a post on this thread :)
You're going to run into a problem where Messenger Plus! will create a text file of the data and send it when it is too large.

You could consider trying to catch the paste event.
RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-13-2011 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:

The Pastebin for Messenger Plus! script will allow you to easily paste long code/long text to Pastebin's free service using the new version of their API. Simply type "/paste" in a chat window, type the title of the paste, the type of code (almost 150 languages supported!) and then what you want to paste. Screenshots coming soon!

Features:
  • Type "/pquick" followed by text to paste it on-the-fly without changing parameters. Pastes in plain text by default.

You're going to run into a problem where Messenger Plus! will create a text file of the data and send it when it is too large.

You could consider trying to catch the paste event.

Sorry, could you explain that again? :/

Oh, do you mean when I said I'td paste it? I plan to  make it put the URL in the text box using

code:
return sMessage.replace(Output);

Output is the variable which contains the API response (which should be http://pastebin.com/0000000 if it runs properly).
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-13-2011 at 06:32 PM

No no, if you paste a large amount of data Messenger Plus! automatically puts it in a text file and sends the file. This is the problem you will run into.

RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-13-2011 at 06:45 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, so I'll explain it more clearly. What it will do is, there'll be a window and a text box for you to paste/write things in. After you've completed that part you name your paste, what type of code it is etc. After that, it'll do a POST request to pastebin's API with that information and it'll then paste the resulting link into the text box. If that's what you're referring to, please tell me how to fix whatever problem I'll encounter.

RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-13-2011 at 06:58 PM

quote:
I'm not sure what you mean, so I'll explain it more clearly. What it will do is, there'll be a window and a text box for you to paste/write things in. After you've completed that part you name your paste, what type of code it is etc. After that, it'll do a POST request to pastebin's API with that information and it'll then paste the resulting link into the text box. If that's what you're referring to, please tell me how to fix whatever problem I'll encounter.
Ok that makes more sense. I thought the script would have you type /paste <blob of text> but if you open a window then that is good.
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Spunky on 04-13-2011 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Ok that makes more sense. I thought the script would have you type /paste <blob of text> but if you open a window then that is good.

Would Plus! still send the data as a txt file if it's a command? That would sound like a bug to me... :s

eg. /paste <blob of text>
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-13-2011 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Would Plus! still send the data as a txt file if it's a command? That would sound like a bug to me... :s

eg. /paste <blob of text>
If I am not mistaken the moment you paste an excessive amount of large text it automatically sends it as a file to the contact. I would have to check but not at home obviously.
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by prashker on 04-13-2011 at 08:07 PM

quote:

The option is disable-able, but the actual limit the text box can hold will still apply (truncating the paste if it passes the limit).
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-13-2011 at 11:35 PM

What happens when you paste a large amount of text (and "Improve pasting operations for large text" is enabled) depends on if you already have typed something in the typing area or not:

- If the typing area is empty: the pasted blob will be send as a text file. No parsing is done on the pasted blob, not even if it starts with a command or if it contains tags or whatever.

- If the typing area is not empty: the pasted blob will be pasted at the cursor's location. It will be cropped to the maximum allowed amount of characters in the typing area (depends on your status and the Plus! setting "increase max size of messages you can send") minus what was already in the edit box.

eg: If the text "hello world" was entered in the edit box, and the cursor is at the space and you paste a massive amount of text, the output will be: "helloblobblobblobblobblobblob<...>blo World"

quote:
Depends on how you look at it I think. Imho it would be a bug if it does parse the blob in that case*.
Because if you paste a large amount of text, it is safely to assume imho that it wasn't meant to be a command but rather a copy of a document. If that document happens to start with a "/" and then the blob was parsed it would result in an error message (or even unexpected results). So, not good in that case.

*not to mention how large needs the internal buffers be then that Plus! uses to handle commands etc? You could well paste 200MB worth of text or more or whatever....The internal buffers would be rediculus big and parsing would be dead slow, scripts would choke, etc... probably resulting in a complete freeze of Messenger for a long while.

------------------

So, knowing this, the feature of this script is a bit redundant imho (not completely though. But it might not be as usefull as it seems to be at first sight).

Because if the text you want to paste to your contact is small enough to fit in the typing area, then there is not much reason to first copy it to pastebin, then send a link back. Simply send it directly.

If the text you want to paste to your contact is larger than the allowed amount, Plus! will already make a textfile out of it and send it that way (if that option is enabled).

The only added benefit of this script, as far as I can see, would be the language highlighting in case of source code. So, for people pasting source code all the time, it might be usefull I guess. Either way, it would be a good scripting practice for sure.

PS: Horseboy, What does the 'W' stand for in 'WIP'? And I assume 'IP' is 'In Progress'?
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-14-2011 at 02:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
S: Horseboy, What does the 'W' stand for in 'WIP'? And I assume 'IP' is 'In Progress'?

Work In Progress

RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 07:54 AM

quote:
What happens when you paste a large amount of text (and "Improve pasting operations for large text" is enabled) depends on if you already have typed something in the typing area or not:

- If the typing area is empty: the pasted blob will be send as a text file. No parsing is done on the pasted blob, not even if it starts with a command or if it contains tags or whatever.

- If the typing area is not empty: the pasted blob will be pasted at the cursor's location. It will be cropped to the maximum allowed amount of characters in the typing area (depends on your status and the Plus! setting "increase max size of messages you can send") minus what was already in the edit box.

eg: If the text "hello world" was entered in the edit box, and the cursor is at the space and you paste a massive amount of text, the output will be: "helloblobblobblobblobblobblob<...>blo World"

quote:
Depends on how you look at it I think. Imho it would be a bug if it does parse the blob in that case*.
Because if you paste a large amount of text, it is safely to assume imho that it wasn't meant to be a command but rather a copy of a document. If that document happens to start with a "/" and then the blob was parsed it would result in an error message (or even unexpected results). So, not good in that case.

*not to mention how large needs the internal buffers be then that Plus! uses to handle commands etc? You could well paste 200MB worth of text or more or whatever....The internal buffers would be rediculus big and parsing would be dead slow, scripts would choke, etc... probably resulting in a complete freeze of Messenger for a long while.

------------------

So, knowing this, the feature of this script is a bit redundant imho (not completely though. But it might not be as usefull as it seems to be at first sight).

Because if the text you want to paste to your contact is small enough to fit in the typing area, then there is not much reason to first copy it to pastebin, then send a link back. Simply send it directly.

If the text you want to paste to your contact is larger than the allowed amount, Plus! will already make a textfile out of it and send it that way (if that option is enabled).

The only added benefit of this script, as far as I can see, would be the language highlighting in case of source code. So, for people pasting source code all the time, it might be usefull I guess. Either way, it would be a good scripting practice for sure.

PS: Horseboy, What does the 'W' stand for in 'WIP'? And I assume 'IP' is 'In Progress'?

I've scrapped that idea, I'm sticking to /paste - window opens and you fill in the details. When it's done it'll replace the current message with the pastebin link to what you pasted.

And WIP stands for Work In Progress :)
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 10:37 AM

quote:
I'm sticking to /paste - window opens and you fill in the details. When it's done it'll replace the current message with the pastebin link to what you pasted.
Which is what I was talking about.

Aka: instead of using this script and pasting your text in the special window of this script, you could paste your text directly to the convo and let Plus! deal with it (either send the text as a message, or either send it as a text file). Much less work, quicker, no script needed, etc... (hence the small redundancy of this script). But of course, then you'll miss the highlighting in case you paste source code.

quote:
"Work"... of course.... :$
* CookieRevised slaps himself...

RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 02:30 PM

quote:
quote:
I'm sticking to /paste - window opens and you fill in the details. When it's done it'll replace the current message with the pastebin link to what you pasted.
Which is what I was talking about.

Aka: instead of using this script and pasting your text in the special window of this script, you could paste your text directly to the convo and let Plus! deal with it (either send the text as a message, or either send it as a text file). Much less work, quicker, no script needed, etc... (hence the small redundancy of this script). But of course, then you'll miss the highlighting in case you paste source code.

Yeah... I was going to have it two ways, i might still. The advantage to the window is that you can configure it more, like title, programming language, login to pastebin. Whereas if you have it so that you do /paste <blob of text>, you can't configure it.

quote:
"Work"... of course.... :$
* CookieRevised slaps himself...

You know that I'm not that good at scripting...

RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Yeah... I was going to have it two ways, i might still. The advantage to the window is that you can configure it more, like title, programming language, login to pastebin. Whereas if you have it so that you do /paste <blob of text>, you can't configure it.
"/paste <blob of text>" was not what I was talking about at all.

I was saying that it is much quicker and easier to paste a blob of text into the conversation window and let Plus! do its job, than it is to paste that same blob of text into a special script window, configure it, wait for upload, send link to contact, contact opening that link....

To put it very bluntly: Plus! already does natively what your script is going to do (except for the highlighting of source code).

quote:
nobody was at first ;)
RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 02:47 PM

quote:
quote:
"/paste <blob of text>" was not what I was talking about at all.

I was saying that it is much quicker and easier to paste a blob of text into the conversation window and let Plus! do its job, than it is to paste that same blob of text into a special script window, configure it, wait for upload, send link to contact, contact opening that link....

To put it very bluntly: Plus! already does natively what your script is going to do (except for the highlighting of source code).

quote:
nobody was at first ;)

That's what I meant, into the conversation window :-/

Say you're having a conversation with someone and it's something like "oh dude could you tell me how to print something in php?" (an example). So you do /pastebin lineofphp. What that does is sends a request to Pastebin with lineofphp as the text. No other options. After it's gotten an answer from pastebin's API with the pastebin link, it'll put that link into the message.

And the window idea will be something like this:

[Image: 2011-04-14_1602.png]

Except when you click submit, it'll copy the link the API produces to the conversation window. It won't look exactly like that, but it'll have the same functionality.
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-14-2011 at 03:11 PM

quote:
I was confused as well by the script but I think what Fike is doing is the following:

/paste will open a window that will allow the user to select the type of syntax to use when loading to PasteBin then the script will send the contact the message/link to PasteBin.

/pquick will do the same without giving the user the option to select the syntax or displaying a window. (This is the redundant part.)

That is my understanding.

RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 03:29 PM

quote:
quote:
I was confused as well by the script but I think what Fike is doing is the following:

/paste will open a window that will allow the user to select the type of syntax to use when loading to PasteBin then the script will send the contact the message/link to PasteBin.

/pquick will do the same without giving the user the option to select the syntax or displaying a window. (This is the redundant part.)

That is my understanding.

It's Horseboy now ;)

And yeah, that's what my plan is.
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 03:36 PM

quote:
quote:
I was confused as well by the script...
I know exactly what Horseboy wants to do and what his proposed commands will do.... I am not confused about that at all...

quote:
[...and more explanation...]
No... you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I highly suggest you completely forget about your script and its possible features and try to paste a massive long text into a conversation while the Plus! option "Improve pasting operations for large text" is enabled to understand it.

I am NOT talking about the scraped idea of "/paste blob" or "/pquick blob" or whatever! lol....

Thus once again: I am talking about the 'open that script's window and paste your text in there' feature and how it is _also_ redundant for pasting non-source code. Aka, your script is not as usefull as it might seem at first sight, because Plus! already does it natively.

Paste your blob into the conversation directly, no command!, no script!, no nothing!... just paste your blob in the convo and Plus! does already what your script commands will do (except for the highlighting). Thus:
quote:
Say you're having a conversation with someone and it's something like "oh dude could you tell me how to print something in php?" (an example). So you do /pastebin lineofphp.
No, I paste it directly to the conversation, much quicker and easier.
And if the text is too long to fit in the conversation Plus! will already automatically send it as a text file, I don't need to do anything extra at all and I don't need a script for that.
RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 03:51 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
I was confused as well by the script...
I know exactly what Horseboy wants to do and what his proposed commands will do.... I am not confused about that at all...

quote:
[...and more explanation...]
No... you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I highly suggest you completely forget about your script and its possible features and try to paste a massive long text into a conversation while the Plus! option "Improve pasting operations for large text" is enabled to understand it.

I am NOT talking about "/paste blob" or "/pquick blob" or whatever! lol....

Thus once again: I am talking about pasting your blob into the conversation directly, no command!, no script!, no nothing!... just paste your blob in the convo and Plus! does already what your script commands will do (except for the highlighting). Thus:
quote:
Say you're having a conversation with someone and it's something like "oh dude could you tell me how to print something in php?" (an example). So you do /pastebin lineofphp.
No, I paste it directly to the conversation, much quicker and easier.
And if the text is too long to fit in the conversation Plus! will already automatically send it as a text file, I don't need to do anything extra at all and I don't need a script for that.

Then give me some ideas for a new script...
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Then give me some ideas for a new script...
No :P
Because as I also said: it does have its use for people who often share source code via Messenger and who do want code syntax highlighting.
And above all, it is a good scripting practice...

;)
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-14-2011 at 03:57 PM

But Cookie he won't be pasting the text directly into the conversation window (unless /pquick is used).

Quit being a sourpuss :P There are a lot of useless scripts in the DB and you never complained before... why start now?

RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 04:02 PM

I suppose. :P

I'll continue but I'll scrap /pquick.

RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 04:21 PM

quote:
But Cookie he won't be pasting the text directly into the conversation window (unless /pquick is used).
Aaargghh... [Image: zippyah.gif]
* CookieRevised slaps Matty around a bit with a large trout.
You still don't understand what I'm saying I think...

quote:
Quit being a sourpuss :P There are a lot of useless scripts in the DB and you never complained before... why start now?
lol, I'm not complaining at all....
The last 12 posts are nothing more than misunderstandings and me repeating what I've said here.

Which was not a complaint at all. Just saying that the eureka-factor of this script isn't that high as one might of thought in the beginning (because Plus! already does most of the stuff out-of-the-box), but that it would be nevertheless usefull for some.

That I don't complain about the really useless scripts in the DB is because for most of them there were not threads created first where the author asks for the opinion and ideas of others.
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-14-2011 at 04:38 PM

quote:
quote:
Aaargghh... [Image: zippyah.gif]
* CookieRevised slaps Matty around a bit with a large trout.
You still don't understand what I'm saying I think...
* matty slaps CookieRevised with the kitchen sink
quote:
quote:
lol, I'm not complaining at all....
The last 12 posts are nothing more than misunderstandings and me repeating what I've said here.

Which was not a complaint at all. Just saying that the eureka-factor of this script isn't that high as one might of thought in the beginning (because Plus! already does most of the stuff out-of-the-box), but that it would be nevertheless usefull for some.

That I don't complain about the really useless scripts in the DB is because for most of them there were not threads created first where the author asks for the opinion and ideas of others.
The point I am trying to get across is that although the feature is similar it is completely different. Plus! takes and sends a blob of text through a file transfer. This script is more useful for code snippets that will be all pretty and colourful. I think we can agree to disagree LOL
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-14-2011 at 05:17 PM

quote:
* matty slaps CookieRevised with the kitchen sink
*ouch*
...And I just had the dishes done.

quote:
I think we can agree to disagree LOL
nope... cause I fully agree with:
quote:
This script is more useful for code snippets that will be all pretty and colourful.
Like I have said before.

Thus, let's agree to agree then :p

;)
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 05:30 PM

lol :P

Em... How do I put an image in? I have an image in the script's folder that I want to put in the window.

And also... Trying to create a List view, kinda stuck. I have this:

code:
            <Control xsi:type="ListBoxControl" Id="PstCodeType">
                <Position Left="215" Top="40" Width="40">
                <Items>
                <Item Id="pop">EVERYBODYDFJ</Item>
                <Item Id="eddh">FLFLFLFLFL</Item>
                </Items>
            </Control>

Obviously that's an example, items aren't gonna be that :P
RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by matty on 04-14-2011 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Em... How do I put an image in? I have an image in the script's folder that I want to put in the window.
You use the ImageElement element.
XML code:
    <Elements>
        <Element Id="ImgAdvanced" xsi:type="ImageElement">
            <Position Top="0" Left="348"/>
            <Attributes><AllowAutoMirror>false</AllowAutoMirror></Attributes>
            <Image><Name>big\advanced</Name></Image>
        </Element>
    </Elements>

As you notice you dont need to add an extension to the image. Images are automatically assumed to be loaded from the Images folder so you don't need to prefix the image.

The folder structure of the above image is as follows:
Images
+-- big
     +advanced.png
quote:
If you are trying to create a ListView why are you using a ListBox?!?

Here is an example of a ListView:

XML code:
        <Control Id="LvOverlayRules" xsi:type="ListViewControl">
            <Position Top="130" Left="15" Width="270" Height="70"/>
            <Attributes>
                <AutoTip>true</AutoTip>
                <AlwaysShowSelection>true</AlwaysShowSelection>
            </Attributes>
            <ReportView>
                <ColumnHeader>true</ColumnHeader>
                <FullRowSelect>true</FullRowSelect>
            </ReportView>
            <Images>
                <SmallIcons>
                    <Image Id="1">
                        <Name>icons\enable</Name>
                    </Image>
                    <Image Id="0">
                        <Name>icons\disable</Name>
                    </Image>
                </SmallIcons>
            </Images>
            <Columns WidthFormat="Relative">
                <Column>
                    <ColumnId>sCondition</ColumnId>
                    <Label>Condition</Label>
                    <Width>33</Width>
                </Column>
                <Column>
                    <ColumnId>sOverlayText</ColumnId>
                    <Label>Overlay text</Label>
                    <Width>67</Width>
                </Column>
                <Column>
                    <ColumnId>OverlayId</ColumnId>
                    <Width>0</Width>
                </Column>
                <Column>
                    <ColumnId>bEnabled</ColumnId>
                    <Width>0</Width>
                </Column>
            </Columns>
        </Control>

RE: RE: [WIP] Pastebin for Messenger Plus! by Horseboy on 04-14-2011 at 06:43 PM

quote:
quote:
You use the ImageElement element.
XML code:
    <Elements>
        <Element Id="ImgAdvanced" xsi:type="ImageElement">
            <Position Top="0" Left="348"/>
            <Attributes><AllowAutoMirror>false</AllowAutoMirror></Attributes>
            <Image><Name>big\advanced</Name></Image>
        </Element>
    </Elements>

As you notice you dont need to add an extension to the image. Images are automatically assumed to be loaded from the Images folder so you don't need to prefix the image.

The folder structure of the above image is as follows:
Images
+-- big
     +advanced.png
quote:
If you are trying to create a ListView why are you using a ListBox?!?

Here is an example of a ListView:

XML code:
        <Control Id="LvOverlayRules" xsi:type="ListViewControl">
            <Position Top="130" Left="15" Width="270" Height="70"/>
            <Attributes>
                <AutoTip>true</AutoTip>
                <AlwaysShowSelection>true</AlwaysShowSelection>
            </Attributes>
            <ReportView>
                <ColumnHeader>true</ColumnHeader>
                <FullRowSelect>true</FullRowSelect>
            </ReportView>