Shoutbox

[Discontinued] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Discontinued] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee (/showthread.php?tid=97408)

[Discontinued] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by coolzee on 04-18-2011 at 08:05 PM

I wasn't sure what to skin next, since nobody making Windows 7 skin for WLM 2011. I decided to make one.

My 4th skin for the Skinning Contest 2011.

Preview:

[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]

Enjoy!

:P

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Horseboy on 04-18-2011 at 08:11 PM

Nice! :D

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Nagamasa on 04-18-2011 at 08:42 PM

R.I.P Life of Vista :P

Not bad :)

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by robert_dll on 04-18-2011 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coolzee
OS theme skins are not allowed afaik :P

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Nagamasa on 04-18-2011 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
quote:

That only applies to skin designs.

http://www.msgplus.net/Contest
quote:
Designs based off an operating system are not allowed (e.g. Windows, OSX etc).

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by CookieRevised on 04-19-2011 at 12:55 AM

quote:
quote:
I was thinking the very same thing when I first saw this thread. But then again, like Nagamasa said, that rule is written under 'skin designs'. This said, I do find it a bit strange that it would be allowed for real skins packages, but not for skin designs though. I wanted to ask Menthix about it before someone would make a 'problem' out of it, but I forgot... I hope there is a good reason for that rule, otherwise it might seem a bit unfair and random I guess.
RE: RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by coolzee on 04-19-2011 at 02:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
quote:

quote:
Designs based off an operating system are not allowed (e.g. Windows, OSX etc).

phew, i almost made lion and windows 7 skin for nothing. Good thing it only applies to skin-designs only. :D

Thanks for the great feedback. :)
RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Willz on 04-19-2011 at 11:09 AM

Although we kind of unintentionally did allow OS skins to be developed if you are simply throwing in already existing wallpapers/windows resources it won't get you much points, at least not in my books.

When the rules were being drawn up I did say that OS type skins should not be allowed period simply because anyone can grab OS resources and throw them in a skin. But I guess they only listed the rule under the design contest.

RE: RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by coolzee on 04-19-2011 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Although we kind of unintentionally did allow OS skins to be developed if you are simply throwing in already existing wallpapers/windows resources it won't get you much points, at least not in my books.

When the rules were being drawn up I did say that OS type skins should not be allowed period simply because anyone can grab OS resources and throw them in a skin. But I guess they only listed the rule under the design contest.

So your saying this skin is useless for the contest? Then I might discontinue this skin, continue it after the contest. I rather start new skin thats good for the contest. 8-)
RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Willz on 04-19-2011 at 01:34 PM

I wouldn't say its useless, its still a contender for usability but yeah would just need a little more work thats all, you need to give it a bit more variation from what I've seen from your entries so far they all use a very similar layout. Quality over quantity.

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by matty on 04-19-2011 at 02:17 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Skins based off of O/S concepts were not going to be accepted? Or was that statement retracted?

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Nagamasa on 04-19-2011 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I thought I read somewhere that Skins based off of O/S concepts were not going to be accepted? Or was that statement retracted?
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
quote:

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by robert_dll on 04-19-2011 at 03:30 PM

quote:
So your saying this skin is useless for the contest? Then I might discontinue this skin, continue it after the contest. I rather start new skin thats good for the contest. 8-)
I don't want to be rude, but what you have done is pretty easy to achieve for many skinners, that's why you see there aren't many released skins from experienced skin developers, like Willz said, quality over quantity.

RE: RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by coolzee on 04-19-2011 at 06:48 PM

quote:
quote:
I don't want to be rude, but what you have done is pretty easy to achieve for many skinners, that's why you see there aren't many released skins from experienced skin developers, like Willz said, quality over quantity.

I know, thats why im working it, this is early preview..doesn't mean this will look like that in the final. DW i have something good...stay tune. Also i am experienced skin developer. :P
RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by robert_dll on 04-19-2011 at 06:59 PM

quote:
DW i have something good...stay tune
Looking forward to that ;) Keep working and sure you will get something much better (y)

RE: RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by Willz on 04-19-2011 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty

Well I always did think that OS skins weren't allowed, but when I went to look at the rules the rule is listed under "design-specific" which could be interpreted as design content only rule.

Regardless of the wording, using OS resources will pretty much get you no points in the graphics department. One thing I should also stress is that the functionality/usability contest isn't just about having the most options.

design elements are still taken into minor consideration since a skin regardless of what it is should flow well. The graphics don't have to be extravagant, they just have to make sense from a layout and UI point of view and also in the context of what style you pick.

Guys there a reason we gave people over a month for the contest.:P

RE: [Preview] Windows 7 v.1.0 beta, Created by coolzee by coolzee on 04-20-2011 at 06:11 PM

I'm going to discontinue Windows 7 skin, i just don't feel doing it anymore. I'm going to start something new. Sorry for the people who wants it. :/