Shoutbox

A bit help with skinning - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: A bit help with skinning (/showthread.php?tid=97441)

A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-23-2011 at 05:20 PM

Hey all, im a bit new to skinning, but read all the tutorials and i understand most of the things, even tried playing with stuff. I just wanted to ask a bit how to remove or reedit a certain window in msn 2009 if that is possible, and if anyone can pm me or join me on irc so i can ask questions face to face, Thanks.
I want to remove the news feed above the ad, but dont know how. Dont know which part in the styles, or somewhere else refers to that window.

RE: A bit help with skinning by blessedguy on 04-23-2011 at 10:50 PM

You can remove that in Messenger's own preferences :) Preferences > Layout > Show "what's new"

RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-25-2011 at 09:27 PM

Yeah...i figured that out myself. How about adding a new element into a definition or style file? Will there be any problems if i do so, or is there something i need to really be carefull when doing so?

RE: A bit help with skinning by Nagamasa on 04-25-2011 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zannen
Yeah...i figured that out myself. How about adding a new element into a definition or style file? Will there be any problems if i do so, or is there something i need to really be carefull when doing so?
Not really, as long as you close the element correctly (i.e., properly nested).

There are a few funky things that you might encounter while you skin where more "unique" content (e.g., PSM area) messes up.
RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-25-2011 at 09:37 PM

So..for an example, lets say i wanted to ad a logo picture in the window where ads appear. I would just need to add the element into the definiton file, nesting it inside the part where that bottom window is defined and it should appear without much 'issues' ?

RE: A bit help with skinning by foaly on 04-25-2011 at 10:54 PM

quote:
So..for an example, lets say i wanted to ad a logo picture in the window where ads appear. I would just need to add the element into the definiton file, nesting it inside the part where that bottom window is defined and it should appear without much 'issues' ?
that is the way I do it :)
my advice, just try, you won't damage messenger in a permanent way, if there are really complications the skin will just not load...
RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-26-2011 at 09:52 PM

Oh, im playing around, not worrried about it, i can just remove it or bring it back. Hm, one more question, what about removing some of the code, some of the elements. Does that have a impact on functionality of msn?

RE: A bit help with skinning by Nagamasa on 04-26-2011 at 09:55 PM

Again, if it's something simple, say an add contact button, physicsally removing it has no effect on the operation of WLM (as most skins do).

Of course, there are exceptions, and in that case, setting layoutpos=none for its element should do the trick.

RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-27-2011 at 04:24 PM

um..another question. How would i lets say, make another x button, the one that closes the window, and put it in another place?

RE: A bit help with skinning by blessedguy on 04-27-2011 at 05:55 PM

If that close button is in the aeroframe, you don't. Sorry, known limitation of WLM2011.

RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-27-2011 at 08:09 PM

Same goes for WLM2009?

RE: A bit help with skinning by blessedguy on 04-27-2011 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Same goes for WLM2009?
No, it can be replaced normally for WLM 2009, just play a little with the style and definition files :) (I'm on mobile now)
RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-27-2011 at 08:44 PM

Ok, great. Ill do that, and ill be back with more questions later :D. Thanks for all the help advice in advance people.

RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-27-2011 at 10:10 PM

Does anyone know which Consolidation window would be the one where you can change display pictures?

RE: A bit help with skinning by foaly on 04-28-2011 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Does anyone know which Consolidation window would be the one where you can change display pictures?
depends what display picture, all the definitions are different windows... for example the ones in the chat windows would be in 920...
(btw if you want to release your skin I would advise to use the \Windows\Definitions instead of the \Consolidated Windows because the latter already includes language specific data...)
RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-28-2011 at 02:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, im just using those Consolidated Windows to get myself around, and to know what is used in which more easier. But i found it already, ill keep asking :D

RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 04-28-2011 at 07:07 PM

hmm...another question, i would like to add a logo in the bottom, where the ads where. How exactly do i add a new picture there? I need to add it in schema file and in the definition, right? If so, would that be something like <Element content=rcimg( "msgr", insert_picture_image_here) ContentAlign=bottomleft/>
</Element>   

And that has to be nested in...um...where the bottom window is defined.   Or am i missing something?

RE: A bit help with skinning by foaly on 04-28-2011 at 07:50 PM

quote:
hmm...another question, i would like to add a logo in the bottom, where the ads where. How exactly do i add a new picture there? I need to add it in schema file and in the definition, right? If so, would that be something like <Element content=rcimg( "msgr", insert_picture_image_here) ContentAlign=bottomleft/>
</Element>   

And that has to be nested in...um...where the bottom window is defined.   Or am i missing something?
that sounds correct :)
if you embed it in <element id=atom(adbannerregiontext) ...
I'm guessing it will show up there...
RE: A bit help with skinning by Zannen on 05-18-2011 at 05:26 PM

Hello, its me again :)
Havent had time to work on my skin lately due to college so im back now. So.. first question for now. Can i add new graphics like pictures, icons or similar things into an existing window, and change the position of already defined stuff there.  For instance, lets say i want to move the box where you display your image to the right, or some other place, and on the place it was before add a picture such as a logo or just something that would change the look a bit?   Can it be done or are there any restrictions?   And if it can, can i get an example perhaps?

Thanks again, and ill be back with more questions when im stuck :D