Shoutbox

I need a new router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I need a new router (/showthread.php?tid=97495)

I need a new router by MeEtc on 04-29-2011 at 11:29 PM

I currently have a dlink wbr2310. My roommate's netbook cannot connect to it without resetting it. Not sure if this is the router or the netbook at fault. No issues with other wifi devices.  I also randomly get no WAN access with a wired connection, also needing a reboot. I've tried various firmwware revisions, and I'm currently using firmware for a dlink DI-615 rev D (I think?) Which some internet forums suggested. I haven't seen an improvement.

So that leaves me shopping for a new router. I've looked but most routers have some combination of poor reviews. Can anyone recommend a decent router that you have good experiene with? Preferably something that can be bought at future shop

RE: I need a new router by Hank on 04-29-2011 at 11:42 PM

i'd suggest a " Belkin " router if you get a new one

RE: I need a new router by Chancer on 04-30-2011 at 12:59 AM

I have a Netgear that was pretty good in the beginning, but after a few months, the wireless connection started to "break" suddenly.
You could see the SSID on the list, the signal was strong, but you could not connect, unless you reset it.
It's in the TV room now, so I don't usually use it. I'm using mostly a Linksys that is good, starts up really fast, but the weirdest thing is that when I'm transferring large amounts of data (over cable), all the PCs connected via cable can't access the Internet until my transfer is finished. Wifi devices, however, can still access everything.
If you're planning wifi only, that's a good option. Model WRT120N.

RE: I need a new router by MeEtc on 05-02-2011 at 07:30 PM

Anything else?

RE: I need a new router by Vilkku on 05-02-2011 at 08:32 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

Heard it's pretty good, my friend uses it, has pretty good reviews.

RE: I need a new router by Chancer on 05-03-2011 at 01:42 AM

Printer server inside the router?
That is awesome. Too bad I don't need a new router ATM :(

RE: I need a new router by Adeptus on 05-03-2011 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Printer server inside the router?
That is awesome. Too bad I don't need a new router ATM :(
If you could use a better printer, you can get one with a built in network interface and connect it to the wired side of your current router. It will work the same and with the print server in the printer itself, you will be less likely to run into various performance and compatibility issues.

I'm doing exactly that with a Samsung ML2850N, which is an amazing network laser printer for $90 (probably about the price of that router).

RE: I need a new router by Chancer on 05-03-2011 at 09:13 PM

I wish I could find a good laser printer with Ethernet at 90 bucks in Brazil.

Maybe in my dreams...

(WTF? No nerd dreams here, ok?)