Shoutbox

[?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl (/showthread.php?tid=97688)

[?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl by SmokingCookie on 05-28-2011 at 03:57 PM

Well, I've done some experimenting with the browser control lately, and I've figured out that it uses IE 7.0. However, I've got IE 9.0 installed. I've used the following statement in a BrowserControl and in IE 9:

Javascript code:
javascript:alert(navigator.appVersion)

In IE 9 it says (among other things) "5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; ..." whereas the BrowserControl says "4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; ..." The problem is: the BrowserControl behaves like IE 7, while I want it to behave like IE 9. Can this be done?
RE: [?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl by whiz on 05-28-2011 at 04:40 PM

I've noticed this before...  I had IE8 on my old PC, but the browser object still acted like IE7.  Also, on XP, if you make a website-based toolbar (right-click taskbar > Toolbars > New... > enter a URL) and use the same statement, it comes up as IE7 as well.  Seems all the browser controls still use IE7.  :S

What are you trying to do that needs IE9?

RE: [?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl by SmokingCookie on 05-28-2011 at 04:59 PM

This: document.defaultView

RE: [?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl by felipEx on 05-30-2011 at 02:10 PM

In case you haven't figured this out, these links might be helpful

Internet Feature Controls (B..C)
Specifying Document Compatibility Modes

I'm at work so I can't test :P

RE: [?] navigator.appVersion with BrowserControl by SmokingCookie on 06-25-2011 at 03:35 PM

Thread-bump: I think I should let y'all know that I've found an alternative:

JScript code:
/* This is code executed by Plus! */

var document = WndInternet.Browser_GetInterface("BrowserCtrl").document;
var window = document.parentWindow; // This is a window object as seen by HTML/JavaScript

window.alert("Hello world!"); // actually works!

This works even though IE is in compatibility mode. I think it's a standard, so it's unlikely to be dropped in future versions of IE; but I might be wrong about that, dunno.