Shoutbox

Malware detected in Setup 5.01 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Malware detected in Setup 5.01 (/showthread.php?tid=98128)

Malware detected in Setup 5.01 by cottontail on 08-10-2011 at 02:54 PM

I was attempting to setup MsgPlus 5.01 and it was blocked by Avast and given the following msg: win32-Malware-gen detected. I attempted to install it twice and got the same message from Avast.

I downloaded the setup file again from MsgPlus site and this time it worked...not sure what is going on.

I am running windows XP SP3 and windows messenger live 2009 14.0.8117.416

MsgPlus version 5.02

RE: Malware detected in Setup 5.01 by Spunky on 08-10-2011 at 03:02 PM

Do you have both of the setup files and the websites you downloaded them from? Sometimes setup files can be modified by third parties who then try to sell it to you... There is nothing in MP!5 that should be causing a detection from AV software (that I am aware of)

RE: Malware detected in Setup 5.01 by cottontail on 08-10-2011 at 06:53 PM

the file was deleted by Avast, I got the file from this site a while ago and saved it on an external hard drive so it didn't come from another web site.
I've only installed from download from this site or applied updates as I've been notified of them

RE: Malware detected in Setup 5.01 by Spunky on 08-10-2011 at 08:33 PM

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this then is one of the sponsors in the setup being detected as a false positive =/

As I'm not clear exactly which setup was being used (there are a few), I'm not going to be able to narrow down a cause.

The best bet is to download directly from http://www.msgplus.net or to use the automatic-update feature within the software. You should also check that when you open the setup file (if you do download), that it is signed as below:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1016142]

RE: Malware detected in Setup 5.01 by cottontail on 08-10-2011 at 10:24 PM

Thanks much appreciated.